Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spent an hour Saturday morning in my beloved 2009 Hemi Orange SRT8 6 speed, tracking down IE number 556 at the railroad yard in Salt Lake City. I knew it should be there and the anticipation and excitement of a new ride brought me to the train tracks. Talk about a maze of dead end streets and railroad crossings leading nowhere but to frustration! However, spurred on with great anticipation of the long awaited day and with much perseverance, I was finally able to locate the correct entrance to where the beast was patiently waiting. The place was guarded like fort Knox. The gruff workers would not have anything to do with me and they made it clear that if I would get out of their hair, the 392 would be delivered to the dealer later in the day.

After a few fidgety hours spent at work, I made my way to the dealer and low and behold, the White 6 speed was patiently sitting in the delivery lot, covered in dirt and grime from its long and lonely trek from way up north. The poor thing looked like an abandoned auto stranded on the west side of nowhere, but shinning through all that filth was the hint of something destined to be great with some TLC.

Inside it was no different. With only 3.4 miles, the once white seats and the door leather showed the abuse of indifferent workers and awful weather. Could this abuse possibly be wiped away, I thought? The floor looked like a door mat that had served its purpose of cleaning off the feet of hordes entering a clean room. The plastic that was supposed to protect the floor and seats was all askew, like it had been put on as an afterthought by a well meaning sympathetic bystander in a hurry to get to his lunch break.

Undaunted, I fired up the eight Hemi cylinders and after letting her catch her breath to get her fluids moving after six weeks of waiting for some attention, I felt the beast within. The revs were sharp and quick, the idle smooth at 600 rpms, and the sound deeper and fuller than the 6.1. I effortlessly dialed up 2,000 revolutions with the door shut to hear the interior noise at what would be 85 mph. More noticeable, in a pleasing way, than the 6.1. The needle did not flicker one bit, and it was much easier to hit the mark than in the 392’s predecessor, which takes some close foot attention to find your number and hold it steady.

Oh the sound! It is a fuller sound, deeper, more rumbly and slightly louder that the 6.1. Blurping the throttle let me know that there is something different going on under the hood. I could feel the torque in the lower rpm range represented by a quicker, more effortless increase in the rpms, reaching a screaming crescendo at 5,500 revs that said look out, I’m coming and there is going to be a price to be paid by the nay saying Ford and Chevy lovers!

I turned it off, but was compelled to fire it back up and repeat the process, carefully trying to ingrain into my memory the sounds coming from the open door and the feedback flowing up the peddle and out through the shifter. I was stirred! This car is not going to disappoint. It is a beast! The feeling of power is intoxicating.

However, cubes and horse power is only an ingredient in the whole. Alas, first impressions can many times spoil the moment and Dodge has definitely spoiled the moment, making a big mistake sending out a $47,000 car with leather seats that look like your grandmother installed them out of last year’s seat covers. The fitment is horrible, the leather of poor quality, not befitting a car of this stature and price. Really, the seats look like covers put over your worn out love seat you got as a wedding gift all those years ago. In contrast, there was a new Durango on the floor with absolutely gorgeous brown leather seats perfectly installed, screaming quality! It can be done! How could they have done this to us?

The steering wheel is a step down. The hand position and grip is not as comfortable as in the predecessor, and the door handle is a mess, bulging out from the side blurring the clean smooth crisp lines of the car.
The numbered plaque was a joke, a small, thin strip of plastic that could have been taken from a child’s five and dime replica, certainly not something meant to make a statement about the car or properly commemorate a special edition.

I’m torn! I want the new 392. But I love my Hemi Orange SRT8. I never have been a fan of White. The seats are horrendous. I expected better quality in this car than the one I have. This car is sorely lacking. Do 470 + horses offset the negatives?? Can their whinnying possibly cause me to overlook what I perceive to be insurmountable obstacles? I told the sales manager I would give them my decision by 1:00 pm Monday next.

I don’t think I can bring myself to buy a car that looks like the interior was an afterthought, made by some new vendor working out of their basement, that got in the back door based on price and who they had slept with. I don't think I buy this car after having had such a wonderful experience with the 2009 and seeing the short comings in the Inaugural Edition. Perhaps after I see the quality of the regular production cars. Maybe then.

To answer some questions in other threads. The sales manager said that two have gone out in our area at $5,000 and $8,000 over sticker. I could not believe my ears. My price is $500 under dealer’s invoice. The price is not the problem. Give me some quality! Court me! Make me believe! Make me proud to own your car!

I post this with great trepidation knowing of the forum's love for this car. If this offends some of you, so be it. I’m offended. Remember, I own one and I have waited four long months to get my hands on the new kid on the block. I’ll survive, I hope Dodge does.

Signed

One disappointed Hemi Challenger lover.

See my response to your comments at #33.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
I can't decide for you. It seems people either love the white seats or hate them. I like them a lot, although I'm very concerned about keeping them clean. My fitment of the leather and build quality was fine. It you really like the engine of the 392, why not just get a non-IE? I don't think the dash plaque is cheesy either - based on your attitude/feedback, sounds like the IE is not for you.

To me, the DWB color was critical - it is far and away my favorite color for the Challenger. If white isn't imperative for you, get a non-IE 392 or just do some upgrades to what you already have.

Also, I disagree with you about the steering wheel. It is smaller, feels much better to grip, allows better hand placement, has better button controls, and the actual steering responsiveness is improved.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
It's a lot of coin to drop on a car and not be satisfied with it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sounds like you spent ample time formulating a dissertation on your
reasons for dislikeing the car.
In essense , I call BS on this post. No offense. :eek:hthedrama:

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
White seats will be very hard to keep clean I agree. You are not the first one to post about the quality of the seats.

Just by reading the tone of your post I would simply let it pass and either keep your HO beast or order a Non IE 2011 car if you really want the added HP.

·
Banned
863 Posts
If you do not like the white interior, get the regular SRT. The 392 cars are more than the "+45" hp that people think it is. The new stering wheel is much better in my opinion, no goat heads,
better sound, better suspension, etc...there is alot in these new 392's that will make you happy.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Sounds like you spent ample time formulating a dissertation on your
reasons for dislikeing the car.
In essense , I call BS on this post. No offense. :eek:hthedrama:
I didn't get that. sounds like a customer with high expectations for quality that he did not feel where met. What's BS about that?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Sorry to see your disappointed. I would at least wait until the dealership cleaned it up properly before I made a decision, although the white interior wouldn't work for me either.

I do have one question.. more for the masses.... Why is it as soon as someone says anything critical about any of these cars.. the IE, or the new SE etc.. "they obviously don't deserve it" or "the car is obviously not for you"... Good grief folks, really? Just like a couple years ago, when I made some comments about being torn between a Camaro and a Challenger, I was told that if I had to think about it, the Challenger's not for me. What a croc

Don't get me wrong, I love my Challenger.. I'm on my second one. I'll own a 392 sometime in the next three or four years when someone gets tired of it, or can't make the payments anymore, but in the end, it's a car. A nice car, and one I've always wanted, but I'm not married to it, and all cars have flaws.

There's enough different perspectives on the interior to lead me to believe there are some serious issues out there.

Mike

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The bottom line is that you're spending the money and you have to be happy with what you bought. If that car is not for you, so be it. It really is a shame how badly some people in the logistics process treat our cars. Maybe if you had seen the car after prep and cleanup, the outcome would be different. I just happened to be at the dealer when my car rolled in, after being stuck in Toledo for a month. Fortunately, it was in good shape, or I would have been as unhappy as you are. Do what you think is best to make you happy, whether it's the IE, another SRT8, or a different car altogether.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
End of the year will tell the real story for these IE cars. If they're all sold out that means they were extremely desirable rigs. If a bunch still sits on dealer lots, then guys like Dusterdude will have made their point. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd bet most will have found new homes at the rate the unsolds are selling right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to see your disappointed. I would at least wait until the dealership cleaned it up properly before I made a decision, although the white interior wouldn't work for me either.

I do have one question.. more for the masses.... Why is it as soon as someone says anything critical about any of these cars.. the IE, or the new SE etc.. "they obviously don't deserve it" or "the car is obviously not for you"... Good grief folks, really? Just like a couple years ago, when I made some comments about being torn between a Camaro and a Challenger, I was told that if I had to think about it, the Challenger's not for me. What a croc

Don't get me wrong, I love my Challenger.. I'm on my second one. I'll own a 392 sometime in the next three or four years when someone gets tired of it, or can't make the payments anymore, but in the end, it's a car. A nice car, and one I've always wanted, but I'm not married to it, and all cars have flaws.

There's enough different perspectives on the interior to lead me to believe there are some serious issues out there.

Mike
"Why is it as soon as someone says anything critical about any of these cars.."

You ask why?

Subjective knee-jerk reactions from myopic, polarized pinheads who will protect their own mindset (and that of others like them) even if it is dysfunctional. A little objectivity would help them a lot.
Every piece of tin on wheels has it's pros and cons. They're machines made by people who make decisions, some good , some not so good. Welcome to life, to being human. There's no such a thing as perfect. There are no absolutes. Ok, the 392 has lots of great features, but the message I've been getting is that Chrysler could have done better in the seat department. I agree. I refused to buy a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 pick-up because of the cheap seats. Until they install better seats, I ain't buying. I agree with the initial poster who started this whole ruckus. The seats do look like cheap seat covers, made in the basement of a church on a Sunday afternoon by some amateur upholsterers. Can Chrysler do better? Sure they can. Will they? Sure they will, when they get the necessary feedback? If no one complains, if everyone out there thinks the seats suck but fail to say anything because they don't want the car in general to be bad mouthed, again nothing will change. The initial poster did something constructive! He spoke up. he said, why build such a nice car and then finish it off with cheap seats. He wants value for his money. Nothing wrong with that. More important, he loves the sound and feel of the 392 but wouldn't want to be caught dead in it with cheap seats. To me, cheap seats remind me of those plastic chrome mag covers on the new Ram pick-ups. I would not drive the vehicle, knowing that they were there. I'm jus sayin'.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I didn't get that. sounds like a customer with high expectations for quality that he did not feel where met. What's BS about that?

"The fitment is horrible, the leather of poor quality, not befitting a car of this stature and price. Really, the seats look like covers put over your worn out love seat you got as a wedding gift all those years ago.

The steering wheel is a step down. The hand position and grip is not as comfortable as in the predecessor, and the door handle is a mess, bulging out from the side blurring the clean smooth crisp lines of the car.

The numbered plaque was a joke, a small, thin strip of plastic that could have been taken from a child’s five and dime replica, certainly not something meant to make a statement about the car or properly commemorate a special edition.

I don’t think I can bring myself to buy a car that looks like the interior was an afterthought, made by some new vendor working out of their basement, that got in the back door based on price and who they had slept with."

Oh please this guy is just stirring crap . It's one thing to state your opinion, & you know what they say about opinions,
it's another all together to insult the car with this mean spirited rambling diatribe.

I could be very descriptive about my criticisms regarding the 08-10 SRT's or RT's or SE's but don't feel compelled to disrespect the car or the owners who paid good money for them & besides it would be my opinion only not fact.

Having owned both a new 05 Viper & 06 Z06 among others,
I can tell you there is plenty of room for criticism not only these cars but others costing far more.

For starters, check the interior portion of this forum & see how many
Gen 1'ers would love to have this 3 spoke wheel .

Oh and how about the OP actually test driving the car ?
Last I checked there are more compelling reasons for
plunking down 50K on a near 500hp 392 Hemi Dodge.
than how white the seats are or the size of the dash plaque
Good Grief ! :icon_bs:

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you do not like the white interior, get the regular SRT. The 392 cars are more than the "+45" hp that people think it is. The new stering wheel is much better in my opinion, no goat heads,
better sound, better suspension, etc...there is alot in these new 392's that will make you happy.
Bingo. Still waiting for the response . :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Oh and how about the OP actually test driving the car ?
Last I checked there are more compelling reasons for
plunking down 50K on a near 500hp 392 Hemi Dodge.
than how white the seats are or the size of the dash plaque
Good Grief ! :icon_bs:
Oz1 - I do agree, there's more compelling reasons to buy the 392 than the white seats or the size of the dash plaque, but I also believe, if I plunk down $50K on a car, the seat covers damn well better fit PERFECTLY. There is nothing wrong with wanting and expecting a quality product, and yes, that includes proper fitting leather seats. I think one of the major problems with society today is we accept less quality.. less quality in manufacturing, less quality in services, everything. I for one, wouldn't accept it with ill fitting leather, and Im sure there's others here that wouldn't either.

I sold my first R/T because the custom paint job (flames) had issues. I had taken it back twice and then when fingerprints popped up under the clear for the THIRD time, I knew I would never be happy. I also knew if I took it back, there was a strong likelihood that something else would go wrong. So, in the end, I traded it in, because I knew I would never be happy.

I'll take my 345HP R/T with seats that fit, over the near 500HP 392 with seats that don't. Just my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Its the little things that make people think twice about the OVERALL quality of the car. I for one would think "If they didn't take their time to properly fit seat covers, then what else might be off that I can't see?

90% of your time will be inside the car, if you are not happy about the interior you will not have fun being in it. I say pass on the car and wait for the right one. Soon enough the prices will drop again on these.

Just like the 08's where guys were paying 50k plus to be the first on the block, I waited patiently and got mine for 42k OTD back in Feb of 09 for a 2009MY

PASS PASS PASS. You'll kick your self in the arse for plunking down 50k plus on a car that you are not extremely happy with.

Sure all cars, and sadly most of them are American, have issues of some sort of another. Thats the big reason why most folks buy Japanese or German cars.

I gave Chrysler 12years worth of money for their cars, differnet ones. The Challenger seems to be the last of them unless the new Viper knocks my socks off

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oz1 - I do agree, there's more compelling reasons to buy the 392 than the white seats or the size of the dash plaque, but I also believe, if I plunk down $50K on a car, the seat covers damn well better fit PERFECTLY. There is nothing wrong with wanting and expecting a quality product, and yes, that includes proper fitting leather seats. I think one of the major problems with society today is we accept less quality.. less quality in manufacturing, less quality in services, everything. I for one, wouldn't accept it with ill fitting leather, and Im sure there's others here that wouldn't either.

I sold my first R/T because the custom paint job (flames) had issues. I had taken it back twice and then when fingerprints popped up under the clear for the THIRD time, I knew I would never be happy. I also knew if I took it back, there was a strong likelihood that something else would go wrong. So, in the end, I traded it in, because I knew I would never be happy.

I'll take my 345HP R/T with seats that fit, over the near 500HP 392 with seats that don't. Just my opinion.

Mike
I totally agree & many of us that received our car pointed out
a myriad of flaws which hopefully gets Chrysler on the ball to address.

However some of the stuff OP illustrated is simply his 2 cents on design
aspects like the door handles & steering wheel. Someone else may not like
the quad tips , front splitter etc.

I'm far from a politically correct person but that post was just douchy &
IMHO car aficionados appreciate these forums as a celebration of common interests , a means to exchange ideas & ways to better the cars
not to flame each other on inane minutiae.

When I see 120K ZR1 Corvettes with interiors pulled straight from
the 40K base car I understand people that want the 600+ HP
Carbon fiber goodies, wicked suspension & blinding speed & are willing
to overlook those shortcomings.

Last thing I'd do is flame them on their forums. That's just me.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who is absolutely thrilled with the IE 392. I've had mine for 3 weeks and love it more everyday.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dusterdude, just make sure this car is in your heart. It's a lot of money and you apparently have a car you like. This would be a hard decision.

For me it wasn't. I keep telling myself this is the car I wanted, but what I really wanted was green. When GWE was announced I thought about it everyday. Could I live with my decision to get the IE? I was sick of thinking about it and I canceled my order, which will be here next week, and got the Green With Envy. The feeling I longed for is now here. I was excited for the DWB IE but now with the GWE the feeling is different.

I honestly have nothing against the IE, it just wasn't what I really wanted. I don't care that my new car won't be numbered. I'm not buying this for an investment, I'm buying to drive and love. Oh I'm excited to see the IE when it gets here. My dealer says by all means come check it, take pics, all that stuff and I will.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean your trying to stir crap around here. This is a genuine concern that many people have, including me.

When my IE comes in I will definitely post the dash number and pics for all those interested and tracking these. Good luck to all.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Well if you really already have an 09 SRT, just wait and see if later 392s suit you better or maybe in a year or two something better will show up. What's the hurry?:notallthere:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who is absolutely thrilled with the IE 392. I've had mine for 3 weeks and love it more everyday.
LOL I am completely stoked with mine. I would park it in the living room if I could & watch the big screen on it from inside like I was at a drive in.

The few flaws did nothing to deter me & they will all be addressed soon
anyway.

On top of which knowing there are only 550 White/Blue owners is a very cool club

Plus I already have my parking buddies lined up :icon_biggrin:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts