Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge challenger rallye redline
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this last week i was looking under the hood on my car thinking of ways to spruce things up and make it more appealing and bam huge eye sore of a radiator over flow that was starting to go from clear to yellowing. so i thought i should color match it to the body paint then i thought to myself now is your reason to try out the water transfer printing so i ordered a brushed aluminum graphic and anxiously awaited its arrival. so i got the kit and went down to start work on prepping the part and so i scuffed it up and washed all the dust off then dried it off and then i sprayed it with the etching primer let it dry then lightly scuffed it up then hit it with the silver. the next day i was able to get back to work on it and set up the tank and reread the dipping procedures to make sure i knew exactly how it all needed to go down. so for the first time dipping it came out amazing im super happy with the results. after dipping it you need to wash it off and keep washing it until it stops feeling soapy. then let it sit and dry out then spray it down with clear let dry and stand back and admire your work. fyi dont put your phone in your shirt pocket to play pandora while spraying the paint you might lean over and it will fall to its doom. the phone didnt have a nick on it or a shattered screen but it fell flat on the concrete breaking the lcd's internal conections resulting in a white and green screen :fight:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive been checking out hydrodipping very cool not alot of designs out yet but watched a few videos of rims and other things done. would like to dip a few interior pieces maybe some engine compartment parts. not sure how easy it is to remove if i dont like it, still like plastidip just for ease of removing if it looks bad.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Brilliant, now you cant see your coolant level. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
860 Posts
That's awesome! Did you do it yourself?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thank you, and Yes. Was looking for something different for the interior and came across this stuff a couple years ago. Watched some youtube videos on it and found a kit on the Internet. After finding out how easy it was, I bought some more film off ebay and did the engine parts. I've got about 30,000 miles on the engine pieces and they are holding up great.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thank you, and Yes. Was looking for something different for the interior and came across this stuff a couple years ago. Watched some youtube videos on it and found a kit on the Internet. After finding out how easy it was, I bought some more film off ebay and did the engine parts. I've got about 30,000 miles on the engine pieces and they are holding up great.

Looks great! One question: How the holy hell did you get the door pull off?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

What kit did you end up going with? I've debated sending my interior parts out to be dipped but I'm guessing buying the kit and doing them at home would be cheaper.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
860 Posts
Looks great! One question: How the holy hell did you get the door pull off?
Semper Fi, sir

After taking the door panel off, the pull is held on by two large star screws, one on each end. You will have to look at the panel from the back to find them, as they are not easily seen. I had to put the panel on my kitchen table, a star screwdriver head on a small ratchet bit, then a flat tip screwdriver into the other end of the ratchet bit (kinda like a homemade extension) to be able to reach the door pull screws. A bit frustrating at first but doable. Done it twice, as I had to redo the driver side door pull about 6 months ago due to it wearing off (I didn't use a clear top coat). On one of the sides, I used a small ratchet extension.

·
Registered
860 Posts
What kit did you end up going with? I've debated sending my interior parts out to be dipped but I'm guessing buying the kit and doing them at home would be cheaper.

Take it easy
Jay
The kit is from mydipkit.com. I used my own paint because they don't offer purple with the kit. When I bought my kit, they only offered one size. Now, I see they have three sizes. The kit I paid $100 for is now priced at $69. I would recommend the $99 kit, as I found more uses for it, and had to order more film. I highly recommend you get a kit, watch some youtube videos and do it yourself. It will be a whole lot cheaper and you won't have to go without your parts for a week or more. You buff pad the part, primer it, paint it, dip it, let it dry and put the part back on all within a few hours (the time consuming part is waiting for the paint and dip to dry).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Semper Fi, sir

After taking the door panel off, the pull is held on by two large star screws, one on each end. You will have to look at the panel from the back to find them, as they are not easily seen. I had to put the panel on my kitchen table, a star screwdriver head on a small ratchet bit, then a flat tip screwdriver into the other end of the ratchet bit (kinda like a homemade extension) to be able to reach the door pull screws. A bit frustrating at first but doable. Done it twice, as I had to redo the driver side door pull about 6 months ago due to it wearing off (I didn't use a clear top coat). On one of the sides, I used a small ratchet extension.
Thank you sir! Oorah!
Btw, is the pattern pretty delicate without clear coat? Every vid ive seen of dippin they always put clear over the top. And i'm sure you know this already, but for those who dont, clear coat that contains a catalyst (similar to what an actual shop would use) can be purchased in a spray can, its called 2K clear . Just a thought for those of you without a spray gun or compressor, that want to clear over hydrodipping.

Thanks again bud

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would highly recommend a clear coat. I was thinking a clear coat would lessen the shine, so I didn't use any. Although the pattern is rather durable, the parts I touch a lot (the driver door pull, the steering wheel inserts and evidently my hand rubs a lot on a part of the shifter plate) the pattern is starting to fade away. Thank you for mentioning the 2K clear. I read some reviews on it and it sounds really good except it may take a long time to dry.

The parts that don't get touched much, are holding up great without the clearcoat. I deliver pizza on the weekends, so my driver door pull gets used a whole lot more than normal and I always forget to try not grabbing the door pull so much. This time, I didn't paint the back of the pull which has kept it from flaking off when closing the door.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's a great kit. I like the way yours came out :thumbsup: and the pattern you used. You can add all kinds of bling to your engine bay, but that ugly coolant tank sticks out like a sore thumb - more challenger owners should paint their coolant tanks.
Agreed. I ordered some anthracite plastidip and glossifier and such to see what itll make mine look like. Only reason im doin it with p/d right now instead of hydrodip is cost. Poor college kid haha. Its like waitin for xmas waitin for the stuff to get here! Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts