Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have always wanted a Challenger and after years of looking finally bought a 2014 RT Blacktop. I could not have been happier but am now not so sure. So here goes the whining rant. Sorry ahead of time but just gotta get it off my chest.
After a week of owning I noticed my headliner on passenger side above door was hanging down and would not go back into place. Trip to dealer resulted in them having to order me a new headliner which just came in so they have to pull windshield to put new one in which I'm not crazy about. The next thing which I know has been discussed for years and is not an issue according to the dealer but it burns my [email protected]$ is the "Hemi Tick".
I bought the 6 speed and have 2 buddies with the 6 speed and both of theirs sound like normal awesome raw power while driving and than you get in mine and it sounds like a Singer Sewing machine , it is so annoying I can't even enjoy driving it. I bring it up to service and the dealer says it's normal injector problem with ALL hemi engines with the automatic. I say i dont have an automatic i have a 6 speed and when I tell them both of my buddies cars with same setup don't do it the service guy does not believe me and just says he will make a note of it for mechanic. So they give me a loaner while they put the headliner in and they pull up a Charger RT with the HEMI for my loaner. When I tell him that this Charger sounds normal like my buddies Challengers and it doesnt sound like a sewing machine he says its because mine is a 6 speed so the tick is more noticeable. Lol where do they come up with this stuff first it was autos and now 6 speeds but only my 6 speed I guess. Who knows, you can't with with them.
That's all thanks for listening. Lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
Take it to another dealer. Not all dealers care for the cares or their customers

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that didn't take long. Lol! There's the first hit.:fight:
I was expecting it from someone but not that fast:)

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Yeah most all dealers don't care about your ride and chalk it up to "it's normal for that to sound that way." What a cheap way of getting to NOT get to the bottom of the issue and actually investigating it. I agree with the others and take it to another dealership to get a second opinion. Honestly you might want to investigate a local, small honest repair shop and have them fix it.

One of the best days was when my warranty ran out and I could take it to an HONEST, AFFORDABLE car repair shop. They were all nice and seemed to care under warranty, but they did shoddy work and looked like they rushed through the job as soon as the could. I would never set foot in a dealership again unless I was buying a new car or something. For "servicing", forget about it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dealerships run on making money and closing work orders, as many and quickly as possible per day.

Most (dealership) flat rate techs will do a quick inspection and be done with it if no obvious damage and won't want to mess around much if they don't have to, or just "pass the buck" so to speak. 0.8/2.0 hrs. is not a lot of money (Warranty) despite it being a 3-4 hr. job straight pay but may take 4 hours of work of more. It's much easier if you already broke it, bring it in, and see obviously what's broken to completely avoid the diagnostic procedure. R&R the part, and you're done. It's not encouraged, but try telling that to a tech with a scowl made of stone and the patience of a 3 year old.

Most "old school guys" from the 70's and 80's (very few left since they're dinosaurs) are actually very good detectives and will go out of their way to reproduce the customers complaint, but it may cost a little more. I have worked in complete dungeons before.. nothing works and everything is broke or about to break, but the greatest and smartest mechanics I have ever met. Insist on the tech for a ride along if you have to. Techs have an flat rate quota and average while service writers have a quota of calls per answered and closed RO's to meet, just keep that in mind if they seem inpatient through forced plastic smiles, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want your car fixed.

If I were you, I'd write down exactly what is wrong, when it happens down to a dot. Which gear it happens, what RPM's, driving style etc. to get the most information to the tech as possible. That way, there is no confusion because all the service writer has to go on is what you say or write, thus relaying back to the tech. It makes it much easier on the tech, by far.

Personally, I enjoy the lengthy test drives but that's just me :browsmiley:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Try some synthetic Mobil one or castrol oil to cut down on the tick. Costs twice as much but don't need to change for twice as long. :)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
As some guys mentioned above, take it to another dealer and get a second opinion on it. Finding a good dealer seems to be really hard these days.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Not everyone has a multiple dealers in their area. Thats always people's recommendation but it's not always that easy. Getting the tech as much info is definitely to ur advantage though as lx907 said.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hey, it's still a DODGE. I took a gamble on buying another MoPar after swearing I'd never have another, so I didn't expect PERFECTION from them. My R/T is OK (timing chain recall and all) but I always liked the original Challengers in High School so I thought I'd chance it, time will tell if they fooled me TWICE or not. If the Hemi tick is the biggest issue you have, BE HAPPY, it could be a lot worse. You should have had one of the 2.2/2.5 liter engines in the mid 80's that ate head gaskets every 30K miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, it's still a DODGE. I took a gamble on buying another MoPar after swearing I'd never have another, so I didn't expect PERFECTION from them. My R/T is OK (timing chain recall and all) but I always liked the original Challengers in High School so I thought I'd chance it, time will tell if they fooled me TWICE or not. If the Hemi tick is the biggest issue you have, BE HAPPY, it could be a lot worse. You should have had one of the 2.2/2.5 liter engines in the mid 80's that ate head gaskets every 30K miles.
I said the same thing years ago that I would never buy another Dodge when my wife's van was in the shop every other month but I just had to have this car and now with the headliner and this tick on a car that's not even a month old I'm wondering if I should have stuck with my gut feeling.
I have watched videos on YouTube of cars with the Hemi Tick and I would be happy if I had what they are calling a tick.
Oh we'll! When I get it back I think Ill just have to get a louder exhaust put on to help drown the noise out.:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I said the same thing years ago that I would never buy another Dodge when my wife's van was in the shop every other month but I just had to have this car and now with the headliner and this tick on a car that's not even a month old I'm wondering if I should have stuck with my gut feeling.
I have watched videos on YouTube of cars with the Hemi Tick and I would be happy if I had what they are calling a tick.
Oh we'll! When I get it back I think Ill just have to get a louder exhaust put on to help drown the noise out.:)
Funny you mention watching videos of other cars with ticks and not thinking they are that bad. When I had my Chevys, I used to hear guys complaining about LSx ticks (Camaros, GTOs, Vettes). They all complained that they ticked. Used to listen to them, and thought, hmm, sounds just like my engine, nothing wrong, but they all complained how bad they sounded. I never thought there was anything wrong with them. Then I come here, get a HEMI, and started hearing guys complaining about the HEMI tick. Same thing, listen to clips and again, sounds just like my HEMI, nothing wrong that I can hear, and they all say there is something wrong with their engine. One of these days I'd really like to hear what a "bad" tick sounds like. I haven't heard one yet. Make a video of yours and post it.

Pulled up next to a VW turbo diesel today, and if your HEMI sounds like that, okay, you have a problem. Outside of that, I'd say its normal. But I'd like to hear what a bad one sounds like.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The tick is from having a minimal amount of lifter preload. Doing that ensures the engine makes the most power ie torque. Don't believe me? One of the moderators I think Flat Top maybe another one installed longer pushrods and the tick went away according to him. I wouldn't have done that but he did. To each their own. I have always thought maybe incorrectly that it was also designed that way to sound like an old solid lifter motor of the 60's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
As mentioned some have stated that using some brands of synthetic oil would lessen the noise the tick made or supposedly in some cases completely eliminate it. That is not injector noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The tick is from having a minimal amount of lifter preload. Doing that ensures the engine makes the most power ie torque. Don't believe me? One of the moderators I think Flat Top maybe another one installed longer pushrods and the tick went away according to him. I wouldn't have done that but he did. To each their own. I have always thought maybe incorrectly that it was also designed that way to sound like an old solid lifter motor of the 60's.
I did read that. I know it's something I just have to get used to, it's just the answers I got from the dealer on how it was all Hemis and than it was just the ones with autos to just the ones with 6 speeds that threw me . All that along with my headliner falling down on passenger side that needs to be replaced on a 3 week old car just rubbed me the wrong way.
Like I said it just gives me an excuse to get a louder exhaust which I wanted anyways.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As mentioned some have stated that using some brands of synthetic oil would lessen the noise the tick made or supposedly in some cases completely eliminate it. That is not injector noise.
Yeah and that's what dealer tells me but everything I read tells me different like you state.
I will try the different oil when I get it back and just try to learn and live with it.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just wanna ask a about the headliner problem you had. My girlfriend noticed it yesterday on my 2014. I had it for about a month now. Was there a tsb or a recall? Or did you just walk into service and they took care of it? I need to take my car in for that but I had to be an ass hole last time I had a issue with my car . Was it a Hassel for them to take care of it?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I just wanna ask a about the headliner problem you had. My girlfriend noticed it yesterday on my 2014. I had it for about a month now. Was there a tsb or a recall? Or did you just walk into service and they took care of it? I need to take my car in for that but I had to be an ass hole last time I had a issue with my car . Was it a Hassel for them to take care of it?
Didn't you read his post? They had to remove the front windshield, I'd call that a HASSLE! :scratchhead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I meant Hassel as in getting them to do the work. That's why I asked if there was a tsb or anything like that so I know before I go in there. I could care less if they have to remove the windshield seats and carpet . They are doing the work not me. Just trying to get some info from someone who has come across the same problem I have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts