Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I Had silver SRT behind me getting on to the 10 Freeway going west. He could not change lanes due to traffic to get next to me and just pulled right up behind my bumper. The light turned green and with my ’10 PCP, SRT8 auto I just covered him in smoke, he ran the light and stayed on my bumper. I just kept it in drive and he was right on my bumper for about 40 feet when, by that time my car had already shifted to the bottom of 4th still smoke em. He was still right on my bumper until my tires started to hook still in 4th then the car shifted back to the bottom of 2nd and took off like a rocket, I was at least 5 cars ahead when I had to hit the breaks or hit the traffic, LOTS OF FUN. He pulled next to me and we were both laughing rolled down are windows and kept talking about what great cars we have, then I needed to get over to the 405 N and we both took off.

Dam I love my car.
John H

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to: noz34me

Yes we were both still spinning and sliding all over the onramp in 4th(I know I was in 4th) but only going maybe 50MPH noise to tail, if he had hooked sooner he would have been pushing me and spinning too, but the gap was about the same all the way up the ramp until I hooked. I wish someone had a video of that or even a pic, two SRT8’s one in front one in back with about 3 feet apart and both cars totality frying the hoops all the way up the on ramp, I remember after I posted this that about half way up the ramp the SRT in back of me was getting harder to see in my mirrors with all the smoke, the people in cars behind us must have though we crashed. I always go this way to work and in a lot of the on ramps in Los Angeles you have to stop at the red light and go on the green to merge into traffic. So this AM I was in the same lane and stopped and looked up the ramp and laugh my ass off as all I could see all the way up the ramp were 4 very black strips crisscrossing over one another. If the weather does not wipe them out I will go early tomorrow AM, park and see if I can get a good pic of it, it’s crazy looking.
But looking back this was fun but really a stupid thing to do. (But still tons of FUN and just by chance he was there and as nuts as I am and it was truly a bit scary) have not had my heart racing this much since I stopped driving my 9.50 sec 145mph Super Stocker two years ago.
John H.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yes we were both still spinning and sliding all over the onramp in 4th(I know I was in 4th) but only going maybe 50MPH noise to tail, if he had hooked sooner he would have been pushing me and spinning too, but the gap was about the same all the way up the ramp until I hooked. I wish someone had a video of that or even a pic, two SRT8’s one in front one in back with about 3 feet apart and both cars totality frying the hoops all the way up the on ramp, I remember after I posted this that about half way up the ramp the SRT in back of me was getting harder to see in my mirrors with all the smoke, the people in cars behind us must have though we crashed. I always go this way to work and in a lot of the on ramps in Los Angeles you have to stop at the red light and go on the green to merge into traffic. So this AM I was in the same lane and stopped and looked up the ramp and laugh my ass off as all I could see all the way up the ramp were 4 very black strips crisscrossing over one another. If the weather does not wipe them out I will go early tomorrow AM, park and see if I can get a good pic of it, it’s crazy looking.
But looking back this was fun but really a stupid thing to do. (But still tons of FUN and just by chance he was there and as nuts as I am and it was truly a bit scary) have not had my heart racing this much since I stopped driving my 9.50 sec 145mph Super Stocker two years ago.
John H.
I hear you, just having a hard time picturing it. That said, a lot depends on the road conditions, I guess. My gut feel is you both were in some other gear than 4th, but I have absolutely no experience burning out or racing the Challenger yet.

I had one of the '05 GTO's 6M, and I could burn out in 1st, spin them liberally in 2nd, and chirp them in 3rd. Never broke them loose in 4th no matter what. That car had 400HP and 400 ft/lb trq, similar to the SRT- -

Still breakin' in my R/T, but it will be interesting to see what it can do in better weather and cleaner roads.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Smoking your tires from a standstill? Must have your traction control off and a few other goodies. I can barely get my SRT to chirp. Takes off like a bat out of hell but never burns the tires.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Smoking your tires from a standstill? Must have your traction control off and a few other goodies. I can barely get my SRT to chirp. Takes off like a bat out of hell but never burns the tires.
He didn't just smoke from a standstill; he smoked going into 4th gear!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Agreed. Preparing for the flames but I'm calling :liar:.............or just plain poor throttle control.

My first clue was that the car was smoking the tires into fourth gear and then (surprisingly) it downshifted back into second and magically "hooked"??:scratchhead:

Could the car have quickly shifted from 1-2-3-4 and kept spinning because he was in a seriously slick spot (think rainy conditions) or the on-ramp is a seriously lousy stretch of pavement? Sure, and most likely the case. Since the car downshifted back to the bottom of second I'd say the shifting probably went 1>2>3>4-Boooooooooooogggggggggg-<2).

If the car was truly slewing sideways into 4th gear being properly pedaled (at a speed where the car should have been in fourth gear), a downshift all the way back into second would probably not have resulted in sudden "traction". It would have more likely resulted in a lurchy-backscratchy bounce off the rev limiter and perhaps a trip to the tranny shop.

Amusing to read, yes. Are these cars fun? You freaking bet!!! Capable of smoking the skins through 3rd and into 4th on reasonable pavement with nothing more than a CAI and a tune?? I wish. :liar:

Just sayin....................:guiness:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yeah, I choked on smoking into 4th, but some others seemed to buy it so I kind of kept a low profile.

He says he and the other SRT left long tracks on rubber on the ramp smokin' in 4th, and was going to try to get some pics, weather permitting. That tells me the weather at the time was good- -

If I had never owned a 400 HP car, I maybe would have bought it but I have, and I don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts