Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing some Dodge Challenger CCFL-Halo Projector Headlights and I am not sure which set to purchase. They have one that says "Factory Halogen Only" and another that says "For factory HID lights only"

My 2013 RT Challenger has only the halogen bulbs so Im guessing to purchase the Factory halogen only? Although I do have my Xenon HID kit that I want to install with them so that's where I'm a little hesitant about making the right purchase.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
The '09 - '14 headlight housings are different from one another:

Halogen housings use a typical parabolic reflector with the incandescent (halogen) lamp.

HID housings have a projector lens which has a chrome surround

So the space of within the housing would have differences due to how each version is configured. I'm presuming your aftermarket HID retrofit would use the original halogen housings?

if that's the way your going, you'd probably have to use the halo kit that would allow that fitment

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The '09 - '14 headlight housings are different from one another:

Halogen housings use a typical parabolic reflector with the incandescent (halogen) lamp.

HID housings have a projector lens which has a chrome surround

So the space of within the housing would have differences due to how each version is configured. I'm presuming your aftermarket HID retrofit would use the original halogen housings?

if that's the way your going, you'd probably have to use the halo kit that would allow that fitment

I think so. Which is why I'm not sure to purchase the Factory halogen only pair or the one for the factory HID lighs only. Reason I am confused is because I want to install my Xenon HID kit. So I should be purchasing the one with Factory halogen or HID only?

Thankss

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
Here's a close up of what the HID (OEM) unit looks - this was the '09 R/T I used to have:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
I think yours are similar to mine? So I'd purchase the HID ones instead of the Standard halogen?
You have the standard halogen (non HID) headlights.

Here's two images - the blue car is a halogen (non HID) headlight the white car images have the two side-by-side for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think yours are similar to mine? So I'd purchase the HID ones instead of the Standard halogen?
You have the standard halogen (non HID) headlights.

Here's two images - the blue car is a halogen (non HID) headlight the white car images have the two side-by-side for comparison.
Right on thanks! Now for my last question. I'm going to order these in the images below:
I have my Xenon HID kit that I want to install with that. Will those two work together? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
Right on thanks! Now for my last question. I'm going to order these in the images below:
I have my Xenon HID kit that I want to install with that. Will those two work together? Thanks.
The OEM projector units use D1S bulbs and the appropriate ballasts.

The TIPM (power distribution box underhood) will need to be flashed by the dealer for the LMP (HID) sales code in order for them to work.

The aftermarket HID kits have been know to have issues or intermittently functioning from older posts that I recall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OEM projector units use D1S bulbs and the appropriate ballasts.

The TIPM (power distribution box underhood) will need to be flashed by the dealer for the LMP (HID) sales code in order for them to work.

The aftermarket HID kits have been know to have issues or intermittently functioning from older posts that I recall
I see. So you're saying without my TIPM being flashed my HID kit would be useless and wouldn't work? How much would they typically charge or would they even go through with it. I got my challenger from Dodge btw.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
That's correct - the vehicle's system won't recognize the different electrical load and the added on HIDs won't operate correctly.

My guess is a dealer will charge ~ 1 hour time for the reflash. Maybe less if they're feeling generous about the time it may actually take.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's correct - the vehicle's system won't recognize the different electrical load and the added on HIDs won't operate correctly.

My guess is a dealer will charge ~ 1 hour time for the reflash. Maybe less if they're feeling generous about the time it may actually take.
Okay I got my answer on the HID installation. Now how hard would it be to swap what I have in my vehicle right now to The Projector headlights I want to purchase. Is it even worth the hassle?

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
the entire front fascia (nose) has to be removed from the car to change the headlights out.

There's clips, bolts and various push pins that must be removed to get the fascia unattached to remove it.

There's two bolts (one on each side) that are underneath part of the fender liner that are some effort to get to as well.

Probably a two person job since its a large piece to handle and avoid getting scratches in the paint to remove and install.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
the entire front fascia (nose) has to be removed from the car to change the headlights out.

There's clips, bolts and various push pins that must be removed to get the fascia unattached to remove it.

There's two bolts (one on each side) that are underneath part of the fender liner that are some effort to get to as well.

Probably a two person job since its a large piece to handle and avoid getting scratches in the paint to remove and install.
Removing the front clip is not bad at all...I did it by myself in no time. See post 3 in this thread.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/front-grill-spontaneously-unclips-off-after-4k-miles-621673/?621673=#post7934146

1 - 14 of 14 Posts