Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took ownership of my IE 392 on Saturday. I had about a 3 hour drive from the city to home, and on the way home I ran into a little bit of trouble. My temp gauge redlined, the belt was shredded and there was more antifreeze running out of the car than there is water running from Niagara Falls. The dealer called me and said they think it was a faulty alternator, and as of now thats what i'm assuming went wrong. So my last image of my IE is watching her drive away on a flat bed…..but all in all the little drive I had before hand was amazing…got to say positive!!

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Son of a gun! I don't know why an alternator would cause the car to overheat but I trust you'll be on the road again soon. I am looking forward to driving a new 392 also.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Hope you have a good dealership. I'ld look it over real good when you pick it up. I don't know about 392s but when the belts on 5.7 and 6.1s break they damage other things like hoses and they don't leak untill later when it's the most incovenient.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Son of a gun! I don't know why an alternator would cause the car to overheat but I trust you'll be on the road again soon. I am looking forward to driving a new 392 also.

If the alternator locks up the belt will slide on the alternator pully, usually for a little bit till it shreds, then the belt flies off and you lose the cooling system because the water pump isn't being driven. On a 392 which is running dang near 11:1 compression, it wouldn't take long to go from "normal" operating temp (215) to way too fuggin hot.

Newfie,

I am seriously bummed out for ya! I know that had to suck. My fingers are crossed for you so that you can quickly be reunited with your new baby!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,888 Posts
The sad part about this is you're not the only one. I read a similar thread just a short while ago and don't remember seeing a follow up as to what caused it. His story sounded the same though. I remember him saying the plastic tank that holds the coolant became discolored from the heat and he wanted that replaced too. I think he got a new engine out of it but I'd still be upset.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Man, that sounds like a nasty chain-reaction failure scenario with the locking-up alternator. I know, pretty much all cars have a belt that shares the alternator and waterpump, but for the life of me, I've never had an alternator that locked-up (but plenty that failed electrically), which shredded the belt. Is this a "Dodge thing" with the alternators that pretty much set-off a self-destruct for the rest of the car?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
Certainly a positive attitude from a disheartening experience.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
What really gets my goat is that the dealer charges for a PDI if you let them get away with it...and yet I've bought new cars that have apparent problems when I picked them up. What exactly DO they inspect in a PDI?:bash:

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
What really gets my goat is that the dealer charges for a PDI if you let them get away with it...and yet I've bought new cars that have apparent problems when I picked them up. What exactly DO they inspect in a PDI?:bash:
Unfortuneately what they are paying techs and what they expect out of techs now a days, you dont get much from a PDI anymore. You are supposed to drive it at least 10 miles though. If you are a tech, you know what im talking about. A tech job has pretty much turned into a crap job and you are the bottom feeders of the dealership. In all reality the tech at a dealer is the one that makes the place the real money. They dont get that though and thats the reason why im now retired from Chrysler after 16 years. I said screw em.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I took ownership of my IE 392 on Saturday. I had about a 3 hour drive from the city to home, and on the way home I ran into a little bit of trouble. My temp gauge redlined, the belt was shredded and there was more antifreeze running out of the car than there is water running from Niagara Falls. The dealer called me and said they think it was a faulty alternator, and as of now thats what i'm assuming went wrong. So my last image of my IE is watching her drive away on a flat bed…..but all in all the little drive I had before hand was amazing…got to say positive!!
That has me nervous about getting one that being siad that could happen on allot of cars its just a little disheartening

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well apparently they have found out that it was the tensioner pulley. I have been told that I should have my car back tomorrow or by the latest on Friday. I'm just wondering if they will do anything for me for all this trouble i've been having……but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey man

That really sucks what happened to your 392, you must of been rotted. Did ya get your car back yet? Drop me a message if ya wants to meet up.

justin

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the car back. It was a faulty alternator. Everything is working fine, and man oh man is this car ever powerful!
Bighatch: I got the car at Hickmans

1 - 16 of 16 Posts