Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 16' Scat pack and it is a manual. So MDS is not in the equation here. Car has 4,200 miles on it, oil changes have been done twice already. (Wasn't necessary, just OCD). At idle, the 392 is silent. No ticks, no rattles. In 1st gear, under any acceleration level, it is silent. No ticks, no rattles.

However - After pulling it down into second gear and really giving it the throttle - I get exactly what sounds like a knock or rattle. 3rd gear is the same. Almost like a horrendous exhaust leak. It seems to even match RPM's.

I can push the clutch in and rev it to any rpm, never replicates the sound. Sounds perfectly fine.

Here's the strange part. It doesn't do it all the time. I watched the gauges also. Idle oil pressure is 31 psi, WOT oil pressure is 69 psi.
I have heard lifters tick or collapsed and it sounds nothing like that.
It also does not sound like a rod or main bearing.
No noise in downshifting, no vibrations when the noise does occur.
It does it in Sport mode and normal. More noticeable in normal, the exhaust isn't as loud.

No power loss that I can tell, when it does occur.

Called the local dealer, they are booked up. I have appointment on October 3rd.

It seems to only do it when the car is hot. (been driving for a while).

Check Engine light has never came on.

If anyone has experienced similar noises or issues, let me know.

Kinda frustrating, I love the car and it is getting me down.

I am stumped.:frown:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Octane knock?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realized after a couple of around town trips, this noise is only happening once the oil temp is over 225. It's not doing it at lower temps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wondering if you have found out anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering if you have found out anything?

Took it to the dealer, they said 4 different techs drove the car, stated that nothing sounded out of the ordinary. They have documented it. It still does it. It hasn't got any worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts