Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I recently bought a used 2013 R/T Classic with the Auto 5-speeed and spent a lot of time on these forums trying to piece together the implications of the previous owner's exhust modifications. In short, the last owner replaced the stock mid-mufflers with some very non-restrictive throaty sounding mufflers, and removed ("deleted") the stock resonators near the rear/bumper.The car sounded awesome at start up, idle, and at low speed. On the highway, though, the drone was almost unbearable at the RPM range around 65 mph in fifth gear (automatic). Using autostick, which disables MDS, helped a lot, but didn't seem like a long term solution. I like manual transmissions but hate shifting through an auto with the paddles.

The drone problem alone was bad enough that I was ready to spend whatever it took to get a better system, including buying back stock resonators. In addition to the drone I also noticed a lot of hesitation and slight engine misfires as the car was switching between MDS and 8 cylinder mode. I originally thought the exhaust mods were unrelated.

This week I found a used Corsa Sport cat back system that fit my car on Craig's list and had it installed yesterday. This Corsa kit includes both resonators and the mid mufflers. The difference is night and day. The drone is entirely removed -- I was pretty sure this would be the case. What I didn't expect was that the kit also seems to have cured the hesitations and misfires I noticed as the car engages/disengages MDS.

I'd read on the forums that resonator deletes can affect MDS. I wasn't really sure why, and I don't want to take part in the holy war around here about the affect of back pressure. What I can say is that I am -- personally -- convinced that a very high flow/unrestrictive system seems to impact MDS on the automatic cars, and in particular low end torque. I've put 100 miles on the car since the Corsa was installed -- the difference is night and day. Before having the Corsa installed I planned on getting a Predator in order to disable MDS. I still don't like MDS and hate that you can't modify this setting as the owner, but with the new pipes installed I'm not going to bother with a tuner -- it's good enough at this point that it's not worth the cost/trouble for me.

I honestly didn't know how the Corsa system would all turn out since I didn't own the car when it had stock exhaust. You'll see different things written about the impact of resonators on drone, MDS, performance, etc., written on this site and elsewhere. I wanted to record my experience for the next person if they find it helpful. Hope you all are out enjoying your cars this weekend.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yeah those rear resos really help keep drone at bay. Have no experience with MDS as I have a M6 but I have tried the corsa resos (looks like a J-pipe configuration) and AWE resos (looks like a helmholtz chamber...pipe in a chamber with 2 holes) and both do a great job. In a nutshell, if you want to increase the loudness/tone of the system then play with the mid mufflers...not the resos.

I even took some sound samples from outside of the car (should have also recorded from inside the car) and ran an FFT using Audacity which shows differences between having mid mufflers and no mid mufflers. If I did with and without resos I am pretty sure the lower frequency response would be off the chart...probably would clip the mic in the phone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts