Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
That fracking wheel is pushed foward way to far. It needs to be more centerd in the wheel well. I bet ya $1000 theres frame damage where the lower controll arm bolts up to the frame.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Ouch I was going to say the same thing. Looks like some frame damage. You would think the shop would have noticed and/or found that.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Something else in addition to the wheel indexed incorrectly. If they tightened everything in the "unsprung" position i.e. with the suspension extended the bushings could be in a bind. Sir, you didn't see the crazy wheel when you picked the car up?

Jack

·
Registered
165 Posts
I kinda doubt the frame is bent. But I'll bet ya they assembled the control arms incorrectly. You need to remove both tires and take pictures of all the control arms, make certain it's from the front, back and top then post them. I'm not on much, so if you wouldn't mind sending me a pm, I'll check it out.

Now something else to watch out for. With the rear end so high, your tires are big time postive camber, which also means you're toe'd out as well. Which will kill your tires in a few hundred miles. You need to get this fixed ASAP.

Something else in addition to the wheel indexed incorrectly. If they tightened everything in the "unsprung" position i.e. with the suspension extended the bushings could be in a bind. Sir, you didn't see the crazy wheel when you picked the car up?

Jack
That's a good point. Also I'll bet they installed either the springs incorrectly in the lower perch, of even swapped them. Could also be the lower ones are clocked wrong too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
jzimnisky; said:
That fracking wheel is pushed foward way to far. It needs to be more centerd in the wheel well...
wow, yeah is it ever - not good. you'd better get the insurance adjuster back real quick :indifferent:

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
Dont listen to Cam, he dont now ch!t!!!

lol just kidding bro, I can see that if they swaped the controll arms to the wrong sides but if he got hit just right, you dont think the frame around the controll are mounting area could get bent?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dont listen to Cam, he dont now ch!t!!!

lol just kidding bro, I can see that if they swaped the controll arms to the wrong sides but if he got hit just right, you dont think the frame around the controll are mounting area could get bent?
It's possible. But if it were that bad, the car would drive completely sideways. I bet they swapped the camber and tension link or turned the camber link 180 degrees out

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I know folks get excited to get their car back but that is NOT right.
Let us know what happens

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i agree with the wheel too far forward as well. Since I havent played with the suspension on these cars yet, I cant offer an explanation but it is common knowledge that you tighten the bushings with weight on the tires. I doubt thats causing the wheel too forward and i would think the weight of the car would manage to bust the bushing so it settled to the right height.

theres definitely something going on and it needs inspecting

·
Registered
428 Posts

Does the front wheel look pushed forward in these pics as well? It seems like the entire body is sitting out of center with the wheel wells. Could it be the angle of the pics?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
hey fellas
I brought her back to the shop, the guy basically said, " i understand what your saying but let me show you something"

the back of the car is dead even, both sides. I should have told you guys that originally. One side of the car isnt lifted, its even in the back.

Also, yes. the springs ARE stretched out, the car was sitting on a lift for 3 weeks while they were waiting for a corner panel to be shipped...
He also started explaining how the challenger has a 3 point suspension. Dodge and Mercedes have a different suspension system, they dont have the kind of bushings as most cars. I dont have the pictures he showed me but it made complete sense.

Being unsure, I took it to dodge. They told me the same exact thing, the car is going to settle, and the reason its so far up in the well is becuase the car is up in the back, when it goes back down, its going to sit more towards the middle. theres no way the car is taking any frame damage of any kind.

Its pouring out over in NJ right now, so ile take some more pictures tomorrow to maybe bug out the possibility that the shots were misleading.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this, I actually learned some stuff about the back end the last 4 days.

EDIT:
another thing I didnt point out is that my drive is on a downward hill. Looking at the picture of the left side, the driveway angles DOWN away from the car slighty, that would cause the car to seem squished against the side too.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Yeah, that looks weird. I'd take to a couple of different body shops and get some more opinions. It doesn't look right at all.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
if new springs need to settle that much how come they don't look that high sitting at the dealer when they are new? I hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Riding 1000+ miles on a bumpy rail car?

if new springs need to settle that much how come they don't look that high sitting at the dealer when they are new? I hope this works out for you.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts