Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on this board lately about people complaining about possible "upbadging". I find it amusing that anyone would complain about it and say its wrong. It has been going on for years and done for many reasons. Who is anyone to say what stripe, wheels, spoiler, letters or numbers someone puts on their car. Please keep the complaints going, then I know who to have sympathy for.....:saythat:

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
I have been reading on this board lately about people complaining about possible "upbadging". I find it amusing that anyone would complain about it and say its wrong. It has been going on for years and done for many reasons. Who is anyone to say what stripe, wheels, spoiler, letters or numbers someone puts on their car. Please keep the complaints going, then I know who to have sympathy for.....:saythat:
This thread is going to be interesting... :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey, if you post it expect it to be commented on. Personally, I think it's very 'ricer' to put an SRT badge on an SE. Just like it would be 'rice' to put Cobra badges on a GT. However, putting SRT rims, spoiler, etc is different. Re-badging to make your car something it's not is very pouser-ish IMHO.

·
Banned
675 Posts
How do you feel about this?

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
The OP is from the "Situation"'s home state, so I understand why he can't comprehend poor taste.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think upbadging is hilarious/comical. Either someone (Gearhead) sees the badge and "Gets it" or the upbadged car guy loses a race and then his secret is out. Either way, he gets luaghed at... I would personally downbadge, or make an SRT look like an SE and then proceed to beat cars that would not normally want to run against an SE and leave them wondering why an SE beat them.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm planning to get a '10 SE, and I'm going to put the R/T badge in the grille.

But not the SRT. And the main reason I DON'T want an SRT is because "Challenger SRT" just doesn't sound anywhere near as good as "Challenger R/T".

This thread has served its purpose. Some of the posts are becoming very aggressive. Time to call it quits.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Let me guess, you stick a cucumber in your underwear when you wear tight jeans. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
It is one thing to take an older, classic car, such as a 72 Chevrolet Malibu, and make it a "tribute" car, and badge it as an SS, it is quite another to take an 2009/2010 SE and upbadge it to an R/T or an SRT.

If you make an SE a tribute R/T or SRT-8 in about 30 years, that's fine. But until then, it's nothing more than posing and wishful thinking.

Don't ask me to explain it.. if you don't get it, I couldn't possibly convince you otherwise. Kinda like the Kowalski edition 1 of 10 SRT's... You either get it, or you never will.

I own an R/T and damn proud of it. Will never try to make someone think its an SRT-8, by upbadging. However, "downbadging" and making folks think it's a SE.. that's interesting.

Mike

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm going to try my absolute hardest to refrain from making any comments on this thread.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
i put srt shocks and springs and front air dam on my r/t.i just think the srt air dam looks better and i use one of the ducts to flow air into my cai.i also like the way the shocks and springs lower my car a bit with a very good ride.i am thinking about putting a matte black srt spoiler on the back to break up some of the dwb back there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Let me guess, you stick a cucumber in your underwear when you wear tight jeans. :rolleyes:

good idea on the cucumber part...im married and never going to be with anyone else so this would be a good conversation piece......just kidding....who cares about badges stripes or whatever...it all kinda boils down to an integrity issue...all depends on what you want people to think about you....by the way in a since everybody is upbadging since we dont have true hemispheriscal engines anymore....Dodge itself chose to do this in order to sell more cars...bottom line....true hemispheriscal engines stopped being used in the 70s...correct me if im wrong but the hemis of today are not true hemis...i know this is going to piss some people off but fact is fact...just saying:scratchhead:

·
Registered
864 Posts
It's an ebarrasment to the people with the real thing! And a slap in everyones face when you go get dusted by a v6 mustang! Quit being little fruitcakes and buy the real thing, or build that shit to back up the badging!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Hey, if you post it expect it to be commented on. Personally, I think it's very 'ricer' to put an SRT badge on an SE. Just like it would be 'rice' to put Cobra badges on a GT. However, putting SRT rims, spoiler, etc is different. Re-badging to make your car something it's not is very pouser-ish IMHO.

What he said X10. I think it shows an appalling lack of good taste and common decency to try and rebadge your car into something that it is not.
Let me give y'all a lille example of this. Back in AUG of last year my wife and I were looking for a preowned (used) Jeep Rubicon for out teenage daughter. We found what looked to be a good candidate even the price was reasonable. in fact it was a little bit too reasonable. I say that because when you research something long enough you begin to get a feel for what the true going rate is on the vehicle your looking to buy. Well the Jeep Rubicon turned out to be a Wrangler that the former owner had put "Rubicon" wording on. As we left the dealership they were discussing whether to remove the "Rubicon" lettering from the vehicle in question. That's why the price difference was too good to be true.
But what you're describing has been going on forever. I remember a guy in high school putting 74 Z28 stripes on his 75 Camaro LT. We knew as well as every Chevy Camaro enthusiast who drove by and shouted out their windows so he could hear, there are no 75 Z28's. So you got to ask yourself do you really want to hear all that extra commentary your putting yourself in line for? Me, I want to hear "hey nice car, I like that car, etc."
Now here's where this gets worse. Many unscrupulous people will actively try to sell a rebadged, up-badged car in order to make even more money on a sale. This happens more then you think. This is why there are specific car associations such as The GTO Association of America that exist to help combat this type of fraud. They have a record of every true, bonafide GTO that was ever produced. A prospective buyer can submit the VIN# of the car he's interested in buying and within a week to 10 days he'll get a report either verifying its authenticity or proving its nothing more then a rebadged Le Mans or Tempest. Most of the true GTO owners however have already done this as a point of pride. So here's what you'll get for your troubles, an exact reproduction of of the original selling dealers Invoice showing that it is a true GTO and with all the options that it came equipped with. We owners need to be thinking about this. Right now the cars are all new. 10, 20, 30 years from now future owners are going to want to know that that old SRT8 they're looking at is in fact the real deal and not some rebadged SE or R/T. Please take the time and think about this for a moment in order for this to sink in.
Consider this, how many SRT8 owners out there feel the need to dumb down and rebadge their cars into an R/T or SE, (not that there's anything wrong with owning an SE or R/T) anybody? Didn't think so.
I'm all over this. Now its a free country and you can do whatever you want to do on this but I feel if you really want an SRT8 that bad and it sounds like you do, I think you'd be better served saving up your $$$ and buying a real bonafide SRT8 when time and funds dictate. I also think you're going to find that your opinion is in the minority column on this argument.
As a final though please allow me to leave with one last expression that fully describes this post to a "T", "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery"!

:notallthere::scratchhead::liar::fight::(

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
It's an ebarrasment to the people with the real thing! why? And a slap in everyones face when you go get dusted by a v6 mustang! who cares who races who? Quit being little fruitcakes and buy the real thing, or build that shit to back up the badging!
things like the badging on someone elses car should be of no concern to you or me.

1 - 20 of 357 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.