Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger RT Pitch Black Clear-coat
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I noticed during the winter it was extremely loud when starting up inside the vehicle and while using remote start , while driving it was extremely loud, and even the idle was louder.

Now that we’re hit with 70+ in temperature, I’ve noticed that when remote starting or starting inside the vehicle, some mornings it’ll be extremely loud like during winter, or when driving it’ll be loud still, and when idle it sounds loud, than some days or after driving and letting it sit for an hour or two, it’ll sound quiet when starting up, and when idle, but when driving she still sounds loud and even in sport mode even louder than scatpacks and hellcats I’ve been next to.

Is this simply me or is it the fact the temperature bares a factor and the heat after driving it and letting her sit for an hour or so can cause it?

First muscle car and first ever car I’ve bought. New to this type of stuff. I can mod and do mechanical stuff but some of these things are still new.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,555 Posts
If the engine has been off for several hours and cooled down to ambient temperatures, it will run richer and have a higher idle RPM at startup, which could sound a little louder I suppose. But the exhaust is not physically changing unless you change it, so how loud it is isn't really subject to change other than just from the engine turning more RPMs versus less at any given time.

TL;DR - there's a good chance it is just you. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Colder air is denser, bigger "Boom"
It's a N/A Dodge engine though, so the air's actual temp is probably much less than the reported temp, pushing the A/F lean, and resulting in knock...maybe that's what is making it sound louder - the collisions of the opposing flame kernels in the combustion chambers is augmenting the normal volume of the exhaust sound, thereby making it slightly louder?

Reactions: GhostXCaliber

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
453 Posts
Normal.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Howdy,

I noticed during the winter it was extremely loud when starting up inside the vehicle and while using remote start , while driving it was extremely loud, and even the idle was louder.

Now that we’re hit with 70+ in temperature, I’ve noticed that when remote starting or starting inside the vehicle, some mornings it’ll be extremely loud like during winter, or when driving it’ll be loud still, and when idle it sounds loud, than some days or after driving and letting it sit for an hour or two, it’ll sound quiet when starting up, and when idle, but when driving she still sounds loud and even in sport mode even louder than scatpacks and hellcats I’ve been next to.

Is this simply me or is it the fact the temperature bares a factor and the heat after driving it and letting her sit for an hour or so can cause it?

First muscle car and first ever car I’ve bought. New to this type of stuff. I can mod and do mechanical stuff but some of these things are still new.

Thanks!
Pretty much my experience with my Hellcat.

Cold day. Cold start. Loud. Partially because I believe on cold start the active exhaust is enabled -- maybe to encourage good exhaust gas flow through the converters -- but as the engine idles the exhaust quiets down.

But the amount of noise is also due to the fact the car is cold and a cold car just transmits noise better. Also, someone mentioned sound waves travel faster in cold air vs. warm air.

Same day as the cold start but with the engine not cold the start is not as loud.

Warm day. Cold start. Loud. Maybe not as loud as a cold day cold start but pretty loud.

As an aside: Cold day start or warm day start the engine -- exhaust mainly -- is loud enough that I believe it or not try to avoid using the car too early in the day to avoid disturbing the people who live close to where I park the car. Those times I need to use the car early shortly after I start the engine rather than let it idle and quiet down on its own, I shift into R (or D if I have backed in the parking space) and this drops RPMs an also reduces the exhaust noise.

After either a cold day cold start or a warm day cold start the engine noise is pretty much the same. The only difference I would attribute to is as I touched upon above a cold car just transmits noise better and all noises the car makes are just a little bit more obvious.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,198 Posts
Active exhaust defaults to wide open when you turn off the motor. It stays wide open the first 15-20 seconds of start up, and then opens according to throttle position. Sport mode keeps it open at 70%, Track mode stays at 100%.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Active exhaust defaults to wide open when you turn off the motor. It stays wide open the first 15-20 seconds of start up, and then opens according to throttle position. Sport mode keeps it open at 70%, Track mode stays at 100%.
That corresponds with how my Hellcat exhaust sounds/behaves after engine start.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,001 Posts
Just looking at a stock 6.2 tune exhaust should be 100% open at startup and idle. I don't have active exhaust on my RT so I swore the cam was moving but on start-up is stays fully advanced. do see catalyst heating retarding the cam but it does not seem to coincide with the change in exhaust tone...at least not as much as the target idle rpm ramp-down.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,957 Posts

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum
1 - 12 of 12 Posts