Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going? I figured I'd say Hi before I start asking questions in the forums. I just bought 'Shrek' yesterday. The drive to the dealership was about 3.5hrs so I got to really stretch its legs and get comfortable with it on the way home. Came from a '14 Dart and owned a 90s Accord and 2000s Sunfire before this jolly green giant.

I have a question about a differential or transmission whine I've started to notice when off throttle but that's for another thread (unless anyone knows something and wants to contribute here haha). Thanks for stopping by.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,848 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My car has done the slight gear whine since day one. I also have a 2015, "Shrek". After reading about others changing out differentials with no resolve, I did come across a thread that talked about some sort of harmonics issue with the drive shaft. It doesn't bother me enough to go in and deal with it though.

So I bet yours goes something like this. You cruise up to about 50ish mph and take your foot off the gas and you hear the slight whine. If you press the gas pedal ever so slightly the sound completely goes away.

Welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car has done the slight gear whine since day one. I also have a 2015, "Shrek". After reading about others changing out differentials with no resolve, I did come across a thread that talked about some sort of harmonics issue with the drive shaft. It doesn't bother me enough to go in and deal with it though.

So I bet yours goes something like this. You cruise up to about 50ish mph and take your foot off the gas and you hear the slight whine. If you press the gas pedal ever so slightly the sound completely goes away.

Welcome.
Thanks so much for the write up. My limited research had it pegged as a non-threatening sound issue. You've calmed my nerves even more because what you've described is exactly the issue. Maybe one service day I'll ask for an assessment/price to address it.

Glad to be 'Shrek' buddies. Damn do I love this color. Next thing up is some mud flaps to protect the sides a bit. That and waiting on the delivery of a 'no drill' front license plate holder. Then maybe some tint, and then... And then hahaha
Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
When you go in have the service writer look up Service Advisory 03-004-16. It calls for the inspection and replacement of the propeller shaft to an updated part. It should be free.

Again, it doesn't bother me enough to be arsed with going through the 2 hour wait while they rip and replace the part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you go in have the service writer look up Service Advisory 03-004-16. It calls for the inspection and replacement of the propeller shaft to an updated part. It should be free.

Again, it doesn't bother me enough to be arsed with going through the 2 hour wait while they rip and replace the part.
You're the man. I appreciate the specifics. If I'm ever up in WV, got some family there, I'll have to buy you a beer.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Welcome from Manassas, VA.

Yes definitely look into the TSB mentioned above; it is covered by the 5 year powertrain portion of your warranty (5 yrs/60,000 miles).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from Manassas, VA.

Yes definitely look into the TSB mentioned above; it is covered by the 5 year powertrain portion of your warranty (5 yrs/60,000 miles).
Good to know. Always happy to see another Black and Yellow supporter too. Grew up an hour and a half from the 'Burgh.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome from Southern Maryland. I've had the rear end whine since the day I bought my car new 3 1/2 years ago. It's sounds the same today as the day I bought it. If your's starts to while louder I'd take it back for repair/replace, otherwise I think you'll be ok. Enjoy your new Ride. :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome from Southern Maryland. I've had the rear end whine since the day I bought my car new 3 1/2 years ago. It's sounds the same today as the day I bought it. If your's starts to while louder I'd take it back for repair/replace, otherwise I think you'll be ok. Enjoy your new Ride. /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Appreciate the info. I'm getting used to that noise and the Brembo squeak. Been enjoying the hell outta my Challenger.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Wow!!! Congratulations. Actually got jealous when I saw the color.... I love vinyl on sublime. It wears it well. Not sure about what to do with the SRT.... No matter what you do or don't do. It don't need nothin! Welcome to the forum and I really appreciate you just saying hello. A very warm welcome to the forum. Ask away..... and a few more pics! Even the inside. lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts