Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went and test drove the SRT8 Charger the other day. Nice car but damn is that thing heavy !!! also the tranny blows bigtime. Anyway the MSRP was $43K and the sales price was gulp gulp $56K ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! a $13K mark up WTF??? The sales guy was like we can work a little on the price. I just looked at him :mad: and told him I would take the car at $1k under MSRP take it or leave it. He told me to wait to talk w/the sales mgr, after 15 minutes I walked out.

I am more than a little nervous about the Challenger mark up now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Man I would never buy a car for msrp or any markup over msrp -- I buy cars at 500 dollars above invoice or I do not buy new. I wait untill the car is a few years old then buy. They are smoking crack if they are tring to sell that car for that. You could buy a GT500 for 10-15 grand less than that.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Typically if you put a deposit down on one in a current build stage, you can get it at MSRP. It's the ones that are on dealers lots that are getting the premium. I am curious of how long it has been at the dealer. I have been watching the SRT8 forum some because I almost bought one. Dealers will typically have it in the showroom for about a week and then they put it up on Ebay. I think they start close to sticker and or have a reserve set at sticker.

Don't be surprised if that one shows up on Ebay as well and sells over sticker...

I am curious about the tranny comment as well. I never got to drive a SRT8 as they are all spoken for. Does it not downshift at proper points? Are shifts not tight? I heard of some lags in people shifts at high throttle. Something like the rev limiter getting hit in-between the shifts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
...You should be able to get new srt-8 models all day long at msrp,...but once again,..you have to avoid the greedy dealers,...they are all over!!;)

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sniper226 said:
I am curious of how long it has been at the dealer. I have been watching the SRT8 forum some because I almost bought one. Dealers will typically have it in the showroom for about a week and then they put it up on Ebay. I think they start close to sticker and or have a reserve set at sticker.

I am curious about the tranny comment as well. I never got to drive a SRT8 as they are all spoken for. Does it not downshift at proper points? Are shifts not tight? I heard of some lags in people shifts at high throttle. Something like the rev limiter getting hit in-between the shifts.
This particular car just came in the day before and it was outside in a dirt parking lot. It was so filthy I could not see out of the windows. I pulled into a gas staion to clean the side and back windows so I could at least drive it safley. It had 6 miles on it :p

The tranny was hesitating btw 4500-5K RPM shifts. It was annoying to say the least. I am hopeing this can solved by flashing the ECU or something but really bothered me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Be afraid. Be very afraid. 1st year is going to be brutal. By year 3, MSRP will be typical.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The dealership here in FL did the same thing to me when I was shopping for a Charger Daytona. $5000 extra for the car being "Limited Edition" car. I said no way and he wouldn't budge. I'll NEVER do business with them...crooks! :mad:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
no, I'm saying they've ALWAYS been that much here.
Sounds like it may not be loaded to the hilt. Probably missing option group III.

If it is selling under sticker, I would be very surprised. :eek:

·
Registered
250 Posts
well.. ok the one that was under 40k is sold, but here's one they have on the lot now:

2006 CHARGER SRT-8 BRILLIANT BLACK LEATHER TRIMMED SEATS W/PREFERRED SUEDE SRT OPTION GROUP I SRT OPTION GROUP II SRT OPTION GROUP III 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC 6.1L SRT HEMI SMPI V-8 ENGINE POWER MOONROOF P245/45ZR20 AS PERFORMANCE TIRE $43,115

They have a similarly equiped MSRT8 there for 42,855. I would be suprised if they don't work on the price too.. my car was $20,500 when I bought it, I paid 19,000 (which on an SRT in 2003, was unheard of)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
GROUP III 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC 6.1L SRT HEMI SMPI V-8 ENGINE POWER MOONROOF P245/45ZR20 AS PERFORMANCE TIRE $43,115
This is with line of sticker price for this car. I would be surprised if they go lower. Most people are happy they don't go higher for ones they have on the lot. I bet there would be some people over on the other SRT8 board interested in hearing where this dealer is.

Most have been waiting months to get one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Finally walked into the local Dodge dealership in FL. All SRT-8s were $10,000 over MSRP. I didn't even talk about pricing on those, because I'm holding out for the Challenger and didn't want to be bothered for the next 6 months by a salesman. Scary to think how much the Challenger will be marked up. I've waited 30 years to get another Challenger, so 1 more or so won't kill me not to get gouged.

BTW, everyone on this forum knows more than anyone I spoke to at the dealership about the Challenger.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yeah this was at Arrigo dodge in West Palm Beach, Fl for those interested. I have a friend on the M3Forum that just pd sticker for a loaded Blk SRT Charger down in Miami.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ErikM3 said:
I am more than a little nervous about the Challenger mark up now.
I wouldn't spend any time on being nervous about the price of the Challenger, sooner or later you'll get one for the price you want to pay....if not, there's plenty of cool cars on the market today ( or soon to be ).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am reading some posts regarding the mark up most of you brothers will have to pay over MSRP to buy the new Challenger and I am sorry about that. I go to different dealerships to see and discuss the cars (I even did a couple of test drives. One was a SRT8 300 (october 2005): what a blast! :p It is a beast! :eek: )... but I always buy at the same place. Here is why!

About ten years ago, I walked into a Chrysler~Dodge dealership and told the manager that I would talk only with the owner. The manager gave me an appointement with the owner. I went to the appointement and told the owner that I was a Dodge~Chrysler nut and I promised him that I would buy all my future cars directly from him if he gave me a long term deal! We discussed and agreed to COST (he always shows me the invoice from DCX) plus $1 250.00 for ANY car or truck with ANY options. This is always a lot below MSRP! Since then, I bought directly from him 4 cars and 2 trucks. Recently I asked him about the Challenger and he confirmed that the deal is for ANY vehicule :) ... and that I am the first one on the list! :D He knows that I will buy all my cars from him. I just hope he will not sell the dealership!

Perhaps some of you might try to get a long term deal with a dealership and save a lot of money! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
^ I buy all my cars from the same dealer too.. loyalty helps alot. they all know who I am, and I can drive (almost) whatever I want when I go there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts