Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now we have the offical word that the cobra will have 475HP, Now we have to hope that dodge will put the 6.4 392 hemi in because the 6.1 does not seem to be enough now with only 425HP.........So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree... Who wants to get smoked by a Ford pony car!!! The 6.4 HEMI might even give the Z06 a run for its money.:cool:

·
Banned
91 Posts
The Shelby will have more horses but it will also, I hope, be heavier. Plus it will most likely be more expensive and it is a lot cheesier looking. The Challenger should be a able to take corners much better and be better in every way except a straight line. If the weight comes in at less than 4100 pounds, say about 3700, it may be able to take a Shelby even with just a 6.1 at 425 horses. The Challenger, no matter, what shouldn't be as much of a nose-heavy pig as a shelby.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Remember, the Shelby will also have a sticker price of $40,000+. The Challenger is looking at $28,000, supposedly with 425 HP. At that price and displacement, it's a killer deal. Even at $32k the Challenger would still be a better deal. I hope the 6.4L is an option in some package though.

Imagine a 5.7L V8 base model, a 6.1L R/T model, and a 6.4L SRT-8 model, with a 7 speed auto option, and a bunch of modification to make the car lighter, and more agile. Ahh... to dream. :D

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I would estimate that the Challenger would be in the mid to high 30's range... which is quite a bit cheaper then where the Shelby GT500 is supposed to be.

So, the Challenger should not need to compete HP vs HP...

The Challenger SRT8 however, that would probably be low to mid 40's and would compete with the GT500 and thats where we would see increased horsepower :)

The damn thing isnt even here yet and we are already wanting for the SRT8 version! :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
If anybody has paid attention to the Shelby GT500 development, they had said all along it would have upwards of 450hp. So 475hp didn't surprise me at all, I actually expected it to be in that area. Do not think the GT500 won't be capable of handling either. That similar suspension setup was ran on a race car version of the Mustang GT last year that won it's division....easily. And I'm talking about road courses. And the weight of the Mustang and Challenger will hopefully be about the same. I say that, because I think it's going to be difficult for the Challenger to get down to the Mustang's weight, but hopefully they can do it. The GT500 is also supposed to be under $40k, not over. Ford has been promising it would be under, but I'm sure it won't be by much.

I still think you people who feel the SRT version will be over $40k are off the mark. The Charger SRT8 is under $40k, and that's with a ton more ameneties than the Challenger will offer, gas guzzler tax, and more car to build. It's like I've said before, if they price the SRT version above $40k, they are shooting themselves in the foot right away considering you will have the GT500 sitting there for just under $40k. The mid to high 30's range would be for the SRT version, not the R/T version. But everybody does need to keep in mind, I'm sure the Challenger will be smacked with the gas guzzler tax, which will add almost $2k to the price :mad:

SRT will get their hands on the Challenger, you can just about guarantee that, but it won't happen until a year after the production version is released. That's generally how SRT works, they take a production car, and then work their magic. They don't develop cars from the get go. So whenever the production version of the Challenger hits the road, probably somewhere within a year the SRT version should terrorize the streets. I can only imagine how the SRT version will look and perform...it's bound to be wicked. Those SRT guys are a great bunch, and work magic with everything they touch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unless they go with the LY I don't see the Challenger getting down to the Mustang weight especially after my fat butt is in it. Thinking about it won't the GT500 also be slapped with a gas guzzler tax?

Now when are they coming out with a retro version of my old Plymouth Sundance?

·
Registered
8 Posts
ekool said:
The damn thing isnt even here yet and we are already wanting for the SRT8 version! :)
Ain't that the truth! I WANT ONE TOO! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was at the Dodge dealer Saturday talking about the Charger. They said they just sold one of the 425 horse models. That Charger sold for $41K. So it appears any way you look at it, to get big engine and monster performance in a Mustang or Challenger, you'll be at $40K.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mopar WILL pull a rabbit out of there hat. If they put there mind to it, the Shelby will get it's snake skined. This is just like the muscle car days. Always trying to up the others. But Mopar was always faster! Extra care in enginering, Chrysler Corparation cares.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with the 3 engine options (please no V6 HO) just make the 5.7 the T/A model with the original style vinyl with the back spoiler. Horsepower is great (well maybe better than great), but the Challenger is going to be the Auto Show beauty by far!!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
ekool said:
I would estimate that the Challenger would be in the mid to high 30's range... which is quite a bit cheaper then where the Shelby GT500 is supposed to be.

So, the Challenger should not need to compete HP vs HP...

The Challenger SRT8 however, that would probably be low to mid 40's and would compete with the GT500 and thats where we would see increased horsepower :)

You got that right e-kool. Inside word at the show is that the srt-8 version will probably get the 6.4L (392) 500++HP fire breathing monster with a possible shaker hood. And I do mean ++ in HP as we can expect to see 525-530 hp in the 6.4L Hemi when put on a dyno,as the srt team always have conservative hp ratings from factory. If it happens,This baby outta scream!;) :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts