Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I love my NT05's performance, don't ever track or really burn out, I do drive hard but not illegally hard lol, however the center is almost to the wear indicator already, shoulders seem ok, but the pressure was 35-36, I put them down to 30, now after running by discount tire they said 29 so it runs on the shoulders way more, what's up with this and what would cause it? It's a 275\40\20 on the SRT-8 rim, and it was def not over inflated....haven't had the friggin' tires for 2-3 months...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
something is wrong, they should last alot longer than that. I've been using nittos for years and while they don't last as long as some other brands, they usually last me 15-25k before wearing out. Last set i had were 555s though, not the 05s. Are the NT05's the new drag radials? if so they won't last half the life of the 555 series, but they'll usually outlast other DR tires.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
shoot i got 50 miles on my nt05rs and 10 passes to boot.. either over inflated (just rears im assuming) or the wife has been sneaking the keys out for weekend jaunts.. Im supercharged and i do notice even without squealing the tires in hard acceleration i leave 2 black marks in 2nd and 3rd..

·
Registered
416 Posts
I believe the NT05's are 180 treadwear rated extreme summer tires (good for roadcourse, spirited driving and to a degree, better launches than 'other' sub-extreme summer tires). Also good in the rain, btw.

I don't own them (but they will be my replacement for the vredesteins), but my buddy does. He loves them... and he drives, shall we say, spirited... his are wearing just fine and I'm thinking he has over 5000 on them... at 2200 miles, something is wrong... even if you were driving on rubber-cement tires, they'd last longer than 2200 miles! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Those tires have a tread wear rating of 200 vs 300 for the 555s. I would expect more miles out of them (at least 6-8K), but my tire guy told me to expect no more than 8000-9000 miles from a set of Invos, and they have a tread wear of 260.

The NT05R tire, on the other hand, has a tread wear rating of 00! Hope that helps.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Those tires have a tread wear rating of 200 vs 300 for the 555s. I would expect more miles out of them (at least 6-8K), but my tire guy told me to expect no more than 8000-9000 miles from a set of Invos, and they have a tread wear of 260.

The NT05R tire, on the other hand, has a tread wear rating of 00! Hope that helps.
The UTOG is 200 on the NT05's, my bad.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are people getting there velrdesteins? And what would you guys do if this was you? Haven't had them on for long at all :-\

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump, anybody got a good place to get these from for a good price? I hear they are cheaper than NT05s and last long...can't find any good place that sells 'em

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
If you're still looking for Verds, go to eBay.

Be warned though... They hold some power but not enough.

They make a great rain tire (cant speak for snow/ice) and an ok tire for a daily if you consider tread ware to performance.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
do a search for the Vreds. I think I've seen them on eBay. It helps if you know the tire size you want. Don't assume they're limited to what they have on their website.

I've got NT05's and I do beat the hell out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if my rears see that kind of mileage but I'm talking burnouts regularly with the help of a blower. The fronts still have quite a bit more life on them. Oh yeah, and I've road raced with mine. Great all around tire IMO. INVO's were good before the mods.

HemiSam

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have almost 5000 miles on the fronts and 3000 on the rears and they have plenty left on em. I drive my car fairly hard also.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks but shipping would be too expensive..same price as the NT05 and Invo, actually more with shipping :-\, and used, btw will 275\40\20 Invo grip with a SRT-8?
Depends on what you consider "grip"...

They're likely better than the Goodyear F1, but I can't say for sure. If you're looking for best "grip" and longevity, go with the Vredesteins. Best grip and decent longevity, the NT05.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I'd be focused on what happened to your NT05's so you don't go through another set up tires. Make sure you're checking pressure with something other than the TPMS, for example.

The INVO's are good tires but they won't be as sticky as the F1's. They'll last longer though. Are they OK for an SRT8...yeah and they're good for both dry or rain. They're not nearly as sticky as the NT05. Look at the treadwear rating for reference. You go power adder, though, and you need a stickier tire than an INVO IMO.

I happen to think GY's are crap. Expensive, noisy and the longevity is questionable. And not just on these cars. Call my a cynic :)

HemiSam

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
do a search for the Vreds. I think I've seen them on eBay. It helps if you know the tire size you want. Don't assume they're limited to what they have on their website.

I've got NT05's and I do beat the hell out of them. I wouldn't be surprised if my rears see that kind of mileage but I'm talking burnouts regularly with the help of a blower. The fronts still have quite a bit more life on them. Oh yeah, and I've road raced with mine. Great all around tire IMO. INVO's were good before the mods.

HemiSam
So can Invo's in 275\40\20 launch the Challenger just fine? I swear NT05s make it feel like AWD, but then again I also moved up from 255 to 275, good year F1's to me were absolute crap, even the 160$ Hankook V12's I have up front feel more stable in cornering, and the NT05's of course blow the 300$ (100$ more) Super F1 Good Year OEM tire away, but I just wonder if the Nitto Invo in 275 can correctly launch a Challenger, I hated the spinning the tires all the time whenever I got hard on it from a red light or a stop with the F1s...awful, don't want a repeat of that :-\. My tire pressure was a max of 36-37 PSI warm the entire time I had them only, only 2-3 months, about 2k miles or so, now I have them @ 29 and when warmed up they run @ 31-32
Not sure if I want to buy another NT05..I loved the traction, it's incredible, but boy...having a tire go at 1500-2,000 miles and not having any warranty to use = b.s., 36 PSI is NOT a lot when the max is friggin' 50

The Vreds are just gonna about about... 500+ total including getting to my house, I can get Invos for 420 for 2 shipped from discount tire, for nt05 for 425, so to me the vreds are a little outta my range considering the price of them, when I thought they were generally cheaper.

Also, the NT05 has a tread wear of 200...Invo has 260, is that really that bad? I hear about people running Nitto 420s here claiming good traction...those have 420 tread wear, 60 more doesn't seem like much compared to 200, and if I'm correct doesn't the INVO have more "tread" to start with? Also I hear about people craming a 315 G-Force BFG on the stock SRT-8 rim, how would that grip compare to a NT05 in 275\40\20? OR a Invo? Thanks in advance, only got about 500 miles left in these tires so gotta order soon :-\, Discount tire tells me 305 and 315 will "not sit right" and wear unevenly, but members here say it's fine on the stock rim, any input? Keeping the nt05s deflated @ 28-29 cold so they run more on the sides....still strange, 35-36 psi is not a lot...would a 295 G-Force KDW2 work better than the 275\40\20s in traction? I know they'd last way longer...

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I've ran my club's Nitto 555R DR's on 8" (actually I think they're 7.5") Charger wheels and they're 305's...ZERO prob's and I beat the hell out of them for 11 runs back to back one hot Texas day. They bubble a bit on the side but a 315 on a 9" rim will not be a problem.

The INVO's and the NT05's are different animals altogether. The NT05's are a stickier tire, period. If you know you got 2K miles out of them, then you pretty much know what's going to happen again. I find it odd and can't help but wonder if something is off, but if it's not happening with other tires then switch...no brainer IMO unless you love the tires and have the money.

I run the 315 NT05's on 10.5" wheels in the back and the offset is pretty close to perfect on my Vossen wheels. I needed to make adjustments (hammer flat a metal bulb in the wheel well and take a heat gun to the plastic liner) to get it to fit right. They may not be as wide on a 9" tire, though, and you know the offset on the stock wheels is perfect. I've heard good things about the BFG G-Force KDW's. I just couldn't find the fitment I wanted.

INVO's are great but not nearly as sticky as the NT05's...they're a different class of tire. Know that going in or you'll be disappointed. But if you want 15-20K miles out of a tire or more, then that's what you need or something like it.

HemiSam

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
People on the cobra boards said the 315 nittos would fit on a 9 inch stock rim with a slight bubble on the sides. The nitto DRs tend to run a little narrower than other DRs.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At Discount Tire they keep telling me anything above a 275 is going to wear unevenly for sure as it won't sit right on a 9" rim... :-\

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.