Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever used this? It says on the bottle you don't have to wax. Could you use it like a regular polish and put something like Meguiars Gold Class on after it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the Maguires Gold Class but if you find out you don't need the extra protection let us know.
So you do use Nu Finish polish? How do you like it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nu Finish is best classified as a sealant with strong paint cleaners. I have used it a few years ago. It smelled awful, stained trim easily, and the look do not last more than a few months. Like every brand, it has a following,

There are just so many products available today that are much easier to use, do not stain trim, do not have the strong chemical smell, very easy to apply, and looks that last as long (always a personal opinion).

Why make protecting your paint a miserable experience?

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Just stick with Meguiars' products. They are proven, easy to use, and produce fantastic results. I use NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Detail Spray and my finish is better than showroom new after two years. Other products, like Nu-Finish, are not necessary.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
X2 Cuda agree!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I tried Nu Finish several years ago on one of my motocycles. Didn't much care for it. I used to be a big Meguiar's fan, but have switched over to Adam's products. Wax is like motor oil, everyone has their favorite brand.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Yes, I've used Nu Finish before;when I used to have a running car. I still have a plastic bottle...never had/has had a bad or weird smell [the one above must have been bad somehow] !! I never have used Meguire's or these other hi-class/quality types...guess i couldn't afford or didn't want to. I had an aquaintance some yrs ago who told me a friend of his was the one who invented Nu Finish [with help from a Chemist , I believe] !! Must have been from this Chicagoland area... Heay, yrs ago ,like 30+ plus my Dad had a real unusual can of auto polish__ called Liquid 1st Class. It had all these tind ads or testimonials on the can. The can even claimed after just lightly rubbing in and buffing/wiping off that one could take their finger nails and go round & round. I tried it and was amazed..it worked great....That was great polish...wished it was still made !!!:)

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Yes, I've used Nu Finish before;when I used to have a running car. I still have a plastic bottle...never had/has had a bad or weird smell [the one above must have been bad somehow] !! I never have used Meguire's or these other hi-class/quality types...guess i couldn't afford or didn't want to. I had an aquaintance some yrs ago who told me a friend of his was the one who invented Nu Finish [with help from a Chemist , I believe] !! Must have been from this Chicagoland area... Heay, yrs ago ,like 30+ plus my Dad had a real unusual can of auto polish__ called Liquid 1st Class. It had all these tind ads or testimonials on the can. The can even claimed after just lightly rubbing in and buffing/wiping off that one could take their finger nails and go round & round. I tried it and was amazed..it worked great....That was great polish...wished it was still made !!!:)
Liquid Glass is still made. Liquid 1st Class was a "spin off" so to speak. The can looked the same, at a quick glance, it looked like the real deal.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Liquid Glass is still made. Liquid 1st Class was a "spin off" so to speak. The can looked the same, at a quick glance, it looked like the real deal.
Did you mean that Liquid Glass was spun off from Liquid 1st Class; I presume ?!? L1stC was made in the '60s [give or take].LG is more recent,which when I first saw LG thought it was spun from 1st !! Never have tried Liquid Glass...kind of wondered if the formula was identical! I was just on autogeek.com and they have loads of waxes and polishes !! One could spend hundreds trying out all the varieties !! I always heard/thought that wax is fine ,only if one waxes once a week...whereas polish is tougher/durable and lasts longer....is this correct ?:scratchhead:

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Rag, I only know that I started using LG in the late 70's, and never heard of or saw L1stC until I moved to the KC area in the early 90's.

Looked all over for LG and couldn't find it, but a little Hot Rod shop had L1stC, and I bought it thinking it was LG. I went back and talked to the owner of the shop with questions, and he stated that it was the "same"..........new and improved LG?????

Wouldn't look me in the eyes either during this speech. So, that's what I'm going on.

As far as NuCar Finish, I've tried it and it was OK. Kinda in the middle of the pack of waxes etc. Worked well on some old finishes, giving it a little more shine, but nothing special.

I've tried a lot of products over the decades, and keep going back to LG. That's what my "DY" got for her first treatments, and I'm as happy as ever with the results.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Did you mean that Liquid Glass was spun off from Liquid 1st Class; I presume ?!? L1stC was made in the '60s [give or take].LG is more recent,which when I first saw LG thought it was spun from 1st !! Never have tried Liquid Glass...kind of wondered if the formula was identical! I was just on autogeek.com and they have loads of waxes and polishes !! One could spend hundreds trying out all the varieties !! I always heard/thought that wax is fine ,only if one waxes once a week...whereas polish is tougher/durable and lasts longer....is this correct ?:scratchhead:
....unfortunately, there is no industry standard when it comes to some of the terminology used in the detailing product world. Generally speaking though, a polish is a product used for correction (blemish removal) and a wax/sealant is what you would use after for protection. There are also "polishes" that combine mild corrective ability with protection in the same package. ....and then there are "polishes" that have absolutely no abrasives/chemical cleaners and are truly sealants (i.e. Zaino Z-2). Some "polishes" are actually more like glazes that simply fill rather than abrade. ....it can get really confusing.

The product described in this thread I would classify as more of an AIO (all-in-one). AIO's are simply products that either have mild abrasive properties and/or chemical cleaners combined with a wax/sealant. They can help remove previous products from the finish, oxidation, contaminants, transfer and/or even some light scratches. In fact, some waxes will even act a bit like an AIO due to the solvents used as a carrier agent to make the product workable.

The following is from Autogeek and I think it does a good job illustrating the typical flow for these types of products. Again, using the generally accepted terminology for each as it relates to the task described:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just stick with Meguiars' products. They are proven, easy to use, and produce fantastic results. I use NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Detail Spray and my finish is better than showroom new after two years. Other products, like Nu-Finish, are not necessary.
....if you like Meguiars products and NXT 2.0, you may be interested in checking out their Ultimate Wax. It was one of several new products they released this year and it is just now popping up in retail locations (also available online if you can't find it).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been using Nu finish polish for about 8 years now on my daily drivers. It will bead up water and protect for a long time. But on my challenger and other toys that live in the garage, I use higher end waxes like meg gold class that really have a deep shine, but don't seem to last as long. Thats ok for cars I take out a only in nice weather. But time after time, I continue to use Nu finish on my drivers. Goes on easy, comes off easy, I've never had a bad smell, and it lasts. But the "shiny, deep finish" isn't as good.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Yeah, see Nu Finish ; and it's slogan," The Once a Year Car Polish" is not a wax, but a Space Age Polymer !! It can go through 52 car washes and the finish still beads up __ just like a new showroom finish !!! Yep, I've been doing some research....it does have its roots right here in Chicagoland. They also made/and still make a product called NuVinyl
and that is also a fine product. My Dad had a 1971 Chevrolet Caprice with a black vinyl top...put it on a dull top and it shined like new and lasted for months. Perhaps a lot have not heard or wanted to try NuFinish because of its name...Doesn't have a striking name [ like Meguire's, Mothers, or Zainos,etc] ..kinda dull-like or "corny" low grade-like ; but don't let that sway you !!
Reed-Union Corporation began in 1929 as a specialty chemical coatings manufacturer in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. Always having a goal of producing high quality products, Reed-Union has been an innovator and leader in their industry, marketing products to select retailers throughout the world. Today, the third and fourth generations of the original founder are actively involved in operating this family-owned company. , ;
the above taken from : Nu Finish | Scratch Doctor | Nu Vinyl | Car Polish | Car Wax | Car Wash | Scratch Remover | Rapid Dry | Reed-Union

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
used nu finish years ago. decent product but there are better products out there now. I use all mguires products now

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use NuFinish - very happy with the results. No adverse issues, easy on, easy off - it takes care of minor blemishes well and removes just about anything from the road or elements that can stick to your paint without damaging the finish. Keep it away from plastic trim parts (it is a little hard to remove from that stuff). But if you apply it like the directions say, it lasts about 6 months or more before you should apply it again. I don't have any issues with the shine from NuFinish either - my SRT looks the same as the day I bought it - its parked outside year round and driven almost daily (snow and such, I drive my Jeep).

One thing I do like about NuFinish is that it lasts a long time and rather than use a detail spray in between washes, I can just wipe my car down with a damp micro fiber cloth to take care of minor stuff and it looks great. My car is black, so I also use a California duster on it every day - I've found that helps a lot in maintaining a clean appearance in between washes too.

There are certainly variety of good products to choose from, but as stated in an earlier post, NuFinish is an "all in one" kind of product. I think it works well for what its advertised as and am happy with the results on my car.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Perhaps a lot have not heard or wanted to try NuFinish because of its name...Doesn't have a striking name [ like Meguire's, Mothers, or Zainos,etc] ..kinda dull-like or "corny" low grade-like ; but don't let that sway you !!
....Mike Phillips (formely of Meguiars and now Director of Training with Autogeek) has a saying. "Find something you like and use it often". It was a phrase he picked up from a PPG paint instructor in the early 90's. The PPG rep was giving a presentation prior to Mike taking the stage and was asked by someone in the audience about what wax he would recommend.

What Mike means by this is that as long as you are using a safe, quality product that provides satisfactory results, there's no reason you shouldn't keep using it. What is more important is that you are using something and that you reapply as necessary.

Some folks will look down on products like Nu Finish, Turtle Wax, Mothers, Meguiars, etc. simply because they don't believe a quality product can be found at a retailer (only online and/or through boutique sources). ....or that there is a direct correlation between price and performance. That's all hogwash IMO/IME. If it works for you, than that's what really counts. ....but if you're unhappy or don't like certain aspects of the product you are using, rest assured that there are many others out there to choose from.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I use NuFinish on my wheels and think it lasts pretty well. Don't put it on too heavy or leave it on too long or it can be a bit difficult to get off cleanly. I used to use it on my cars all of the time years ago, but on my Challenger I have relegated it to wheels only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I've used Nu Finish before;when I used to have a running car. I still have a plastic bottle...never had/has had a bad or weird smell [the one above must have been bad somehow] !! I never have used Meguire's or these other hi-class/quality types..
Nu Finish has a very chemical smell. I had sniffed a bottle in the last year and it had not changed significantly. If smell any Mothers wax, you know what better smells like.

I just think some want to spend so little on something that be very easy and enjoyable to use for not much more money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts