Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, alright...never let it be said that I'm not a man of my word. Lots of people kept telling me the problem with my Challenger was the aftermarket alternator I was using, and I refused to believe them. Further, I said if it turned out to be the case, I would eat a generous helping of crow. Well, it turned out to be the case, and even though it still doesn't make sense and I believe Dodge is doing to us with our alternators what the printer companies are doing to us with their branded ink jet cartridges, I'm here to eat some crow.

So, for all those that have been waiting for this, here you go:

Y'all were right, and I was wrong.

Y'all are smart, I am dumb.

Y'all know everything, I know nothing.

Y'all are handsome and virile, I am ugly and impotent.

There, are you happy now?!?!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
...the problem with my Challenger was the aftermarket alternator I was using...
You asked if we were happy now. Hmmm. For me, there's just one thing missing. I wasn't following your alternator thread: this is the first I heard of it. What happened? Maybe throw a link in this new thread?

Gary

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You asked if we were happy now. Hmmm. For me, there's just one thing missing. I wasn't following your alternator thread: this is the first I heard of it. What happened? Maybe throw a link in this new thread?

Gary
I've been having strange electrical issues for 6 months or more now, and none of it made any sense. I used Dodge's own service manual to troubleshoot and that pointed to the voltage regulator in the PCM. However, I couldn't take it beyond that due to a lack of specialized tools. It finally came to a head when the charging system completely broke down and I took it to the Dodge house. $775 and a new Mopar alternator later, the car runs. So I will have to say that fixed it, though I remain unconvinced they didn't pull a HP printer cartridge trick on me, but nonetheless, I have my car back and it runs, so....

Anyway, lots of folks along the way kept saying the same thing - aftermarket alternators don't work on these cars. Putting aside the obvious non-sensical-ness of that statement, I dismissed them as Dodge shills. It would seem I no longer have that to hide to behind, so I created this thread as a way to apologize.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've been having strange electrical issues for 6 months or more now, and none of it made any sense. I used Dodge's own service manual to troubleshoot and that pointed to the voltage regulator in the PCM. However, I couldn't take it beyond that due to a lack of specialized tools. It finally came to a head when the charging system completely broke down and I took it to the Dodge house. $775 and a new Mopar alternator later, the car runs. So I will have to say that fixed it, though I remain unconvinced they didn't pull a HP printer cartridge trick on me, but nonetheless, I have my car back and it runs, so....

Anyway, lots of folks along the way kept saying the same thing - aftermarket alternators don't work on these cars. Putting aside the obvious non-sensical-ness of that statement, I dismissed them as Dodge shills. It would seem I no longer have that to hide to behind, so I created this thread as a way to apologize.
Thanks for the feedback. You said "new Mopar alternator;" just wondering what those rascals cost? Am I to understand, based on your experience here, that your issues were a result of putting an aftermarket alternator in the car? I'm guessing that it was indeed charging, or you would have replaced it long ago. Is this a dealer only type of repair? This is typically something I'd do myself. Just curious.

I'd like to read your alternator thread. Need a linkie.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Although your alternator failed, your integrity and dedication to being honorable is completely intact. You are hereby deemed to be a man of your word.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. You said "new Mopar alternator;" just wondering what those rascals cost?
$400 for the alternator (unknown brand, probably Remy-Delphi?), $375 to put it on. I would normally have put it on myself, but I honestly didn't expect it to fix my problem, so I want them to do the install to eliminate any doubt the problem was due to something I had done.

Am I to understand, based on your experience here, that your issues were a result of putting an aftermarket alternator in the car? I'm guessing that it was indeed charging, or you would have replaced it long ago. Is this a dealer only type of repair? This is typically something I'd do myself. Just curious.
About 2 years ago, my OE alternator went teets up (bearings on the pulley), and I replaced it with a reman unit from O'Reillys. That worked until about 6 months when I started to get intermittent faults on the charging system. I could always clear the faults myself, but they started getting more and more common until it faulted on me one morning and wouldn't go away. I replaced that alternator with another 'new' reman unit and replaced the battery at the same time. That had no effect. So I took it to the dodge house and they just replaced the alternator with a new OEM unit.

So whatever the problem was with the original reman unit, it didn't show up until after 18 months. Then upon replacement with a fresh reman unit, that new one had exactly the same problem as the previous one. Seems rather unlikely, but hey, who am I to argue.

·
Super Moderator
14,412 Posts
Nuke,

was it a "house brand" reman unit?

or a no-name brand new unit?

for your year / application I find new & reman [Remy, ACDelco and then some reman Denso (OEM) and some off brands I'm not familiar]

prices for new are ~ 20% higher than the remans.

On the newer years, its mostly reman, but stock appears to be short on those...

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nuke,

was it a "house brand" reman unit?

or a no-name brand new unit?

for your year / application I find new & reman [Remy, ACDelco and then some reman Denso (OEM) and some off brands I'm not familiar]

prices for new are ~ 20% higher than the remans.

On the newer years, its mostly reman, but stock appears to be short on those...
you're falling into the same trap as everyone else. let me paint you a different picture:

the reman unit worked just fine until I took it in for the airbag replacement, then magically i started having problems.

sounds suspiciously like when my HP printer stopped accepting non-HP ink. non-HP ink worked until I installed an unrelated update, then non-HP ink stopped working.

coincidence??? I THINK NOT!!!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
you're falling into the same trap as everyone else. let me paint you a different picture:

the reman unit worked just fine until I took it in for the airbag replacement, then magically i started having problems.

sounds suspiciously like when my HP printer stopped accepting non-HP ink. non-HP ink worked until I installed an unrelated update, then non-HP ink stopped working.

coincidence??? I THINK NOT!!!

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, i'll admit it, that was funny...and I'm glad y'all are all having a laugh at your ole buddy Nuke's expense, but just remember: just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they ain't out to get me!!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Is eating crow suppose to be a bad thing?..I'm starting to think some believe it is.My x boss once said to me.Bad, your going to eat crow on this one.I said, alright man, let me grab a 6pack!...Thinking of back home with crows breast on a skewer with onion and bell peppers over the grill and cold beer.Or grandma's battered crows breast deep fried and cold beer.You noticed how I said x boss.He must be one of those animal lovers ,veggie or something because he turned red in the face and told me to hit the road!!

So now teets up is a bad thing?..Man this has gone too far!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
Does Nolan Ryan have Crow steaks?

It'd be a cold day in...Texas. Not like it will snow or anything...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is eating crow suppose to be a bad thing?..I'm starting to think some believe it is.My x boss once said to me.Bad, your going to eat crow on this one.I said, alright man, let me grab a 6pack!...Thinking of back home with crows breast on a skewer with onion and bell peppers over the grill and cold beer.Or grandma's battered crows breast deep fried and cold beer.You noticed how I said x boss.He must be one of those animal lovers ,veggie or something because he turned red in the face and told me to hit the road!!

So now teets up is a bad thing?..Man this has gone too far!!!
<WRETCH>

:ugh:

Ugh, i can't imagine how bad that must've tasted...i mean, come on, who who grills their crow with bell peppers and onions?!?

BLECK!!

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does Nolan Ryan have Crow steaks?

It'd be a cold day in...Texas. Not like it will snow or anything...

A Guy
Nope, no Nolan Ryan crow steaks...I heard he tried to come up with a way to package and sell some select cuts of crow, but he never could get a reliable butchering and packaging method figured out, so he gave up.

The local Scuttlebutt says he couldnt do it because the crow meat has a tendency to just explode when subjected to his patent-pending meat tenderizing process like what he uses on his top sirloins (hang it on the wall and pound it with a couple fast balls). But that's still just a rumor AFAIK...

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess they just don't make alternators like they used to, not even the $350 Mopar ones!!

The flurry of P0622's came at me hard and fast, and I was knocked down and out before I knew what was going on. Now I sit at home, without a car, for the second day in a row, and likely to go 3 before anything gets done, all due to my new alternator's inability to properly deliver enough juice to the rest of the car (or is delivering too much?).

I suppose I am lucky it was in the parking lot at work when it decided to stage its sit-in, but that does make getting to it and getting it back to the dealership much more difficult because of the extra distance involved (~40 miles to get to it, ~30 miles to get it back to the dealership). Oh well, I've beat the odds before, and I will do it again!!

<sigh>

I picked the wrong day to stop huffing paint!!

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
:( We feel for you!

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:( We feel for you!

A Guy
Well I appreciate it, but you don’t have to worry about The Nuke, he’s stared down the gaping maw of many an unfortunate situation like this before and made it thru just fine. He’ll weather this one too I bet, and he’ll do it with all the poise and grace befitting someone of his noble stature!

It’s the Challenger I am worried about...sitting all alone, cold and hungry, in that dark parking lot there in Irving. I mean, I’m so far away that a roving band of teenage weirdos could just rub up against her trying to get their jollies off, and I would not be able to do a thing about it!!

It’s just so sad...so very sad...

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
The Prius (prii?) could be gathering...just sayin'

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Prius (prii?) could be gathering...just sayin'

A Guy
That’s good, because she may have to sit there an extra day while I gather up the rescue team to go get her, and I don’t want her to starve plumb down while she’s waiting on the cavalry to arrive.

I just hope she doesn’t gorge herself too badly on the Prius carcasses, as she’s already got a weight problem, and i’d hate to see it exacerbated over something like this...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts