Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Y’all are focusing on the wrong part of the story!!!

Forget about the Chevette and have some sympathy for your ole buddy Nuke who has to fold himself into these Chevette-esque vehicles the Uber minions drive.

What happened to y’all that has so jaded you against feeling real human emotions?!?!
Yeah but the Chevette ties it all together. That and Chevette is one of my trigger words...as in triggers hatred toward those cars.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah but the Chevette ties it all together. That and Chevette is one of my trigger words...as in triggers hatred toward those cars.
I, too, dislike them a great deal...though my hatred stems from a spurned love affair back in college. I was after this ole gal that drove one, and I thought folding myself into hers and letting her drive me around would endear me to her. Turns out it didn't...I guess my incessant complaining about her "piece of sh#t car" turned her off. Women! What's up with them!?!?

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What will you do if the Uber driver shows up in a Prius?

A Guy
The last time this happened I actually got a Prius-driving Uber person, and I canceled it as soon as I saw what they were driving. I might have been down and out, but I wasn't about to admit defeat!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hahahaaha!!!

Check this. Nuke as a youngster talking about being down and out!!!!
Incognito of course!

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
Ray Charles??

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I could have sworn it was dubbed and thought the same thing.

I did too but it ain't memorex. He played guitar in his Dad's band at 9 yrs old. At 15 he took over writing and composing for the Spencer Davis band then Blind Faith and Traffic! Sang in Choir as a youth....... The only person to record with Jimi Hendrix AND Eric Clapton....ever and that was before age 25. The boy is gifted.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
(To be sung to the tune of Michael Jackson’s Bad)

She’s black
She’s back
Shommone
She’s slow
Not a lot of go
Shommone

That’s all I got for now

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Although I gotta say, somebody at that the Dealership messed my ass groove in the driver seat...it’s gonna take a lot of driving to correct that, but I’m up for the job!!

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
You back up and running?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You back up and running?

A Guy
Yessir, I am indeed!

I got it back unchanged last Thursday after the service techs at the dealership spent that previous 4 days trying to recreate the issue and couldn't. I knew it would be just a matter of time until it occurred again, but I wasn't sure how long it would take.

Well, it faulted on me this last Tuesday morning while heading into work. I pulled over and killed it and restarted to see if it was going to stay in fault, and at first the battery light wasn't coming on immediately after the restart so I figured I would just continue on my way. But then it did light up after a mile or so of driving, so I knew this could be The Time (to take it back, that is)

I pulled over 2 more times and stopped/started it, and the same behavior persisted (not in fault at first but faulted after a short distance of travel/engine run-time) So I figured surely they would be able to recreate it themselves this time, and I drove it straight to the dealership to drop it off for them to take another shot at it

They were able to recreate it this time, but not after some trouble at first it sounds like. Actually to hear the tech tell it, this latest attempt at diagnosing was off to a rocky start again when they couldn't get it to fault until leaving it running for 25 minutes straight. Then it faulted and he started his diagnosis.

That lasted into today, and he was on the verge of declaring the PCM to be the problem (internal VR) when he decided to do an up-close inspection of the wiring harness plug which connects to the alternator itself. Turns out that plug had corroded some, and while it wasn't bad enough to make the P0620 fault happen every time the car was started, it was bad enough to make it happen intermittently.

So the final fix was for him to cut the plug off that plugs into the back of the alternator and solder in a new one. And that did the trick...at least it has so far, which is what they also said about the new Mopar alternator, so anything's possible I suppose, but I actually believe this will fix it for good myself too...so we'll see.

Now if I could just get my ass-groove reset...:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
index.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a friend with a 2014 Avenger RT and his car was throwing the same code.
I had him leave the car overnight and checked the battery standing voltage.
12.06 volts. I told him the battery was going.
He was dismayed that a three year old car had a bad battery. This was last fall.
I had to point out that car manufacturers buy car batteries by the thousands and they are not the best on the market by far. So don't be surprised if you don't get so many years out of them.
He replaced with a NAPA gold 7 year warranty and problem went away.
Mind the fact that it never failed him but the computers seem to be more sensitive to a lower standing voltage than in earlier years.
Another friend had a two year old Ford platinum pick up, Same exact problem. New battery fixed it.
They both bought vehicles new.
I know this wasn't your issue but just wanted to put it out there this valuable information.
BTW. Standing voltage should be no less than 12.5 to 12.6 volts. Check after overnight setting. Alarm off or disconnect battery for the standing test.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
CONGRATS!!! The saga continues.....

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
CONGRATS!!! The saga continues.....
Thanks, but I am more hoping the saga has finally come to an end with this latest development, and it will be smooth sailing from here on out :grin2:

Though it does feel odd to classify it as a 'saga'...I mean, I've never shied away from hyperbole, but in retrospect this whole thing barely qualifies as an 'ordeal'...sure it's easy for me to say that now that I'm no longer racked with anxiety at the thought of driving my car more than 10 miles at a time, but perspective is the key in these situations, right?

The bottom line is that my 8 year old vehicle developed a charging system problem that required significant time and money to identify and resolve. That's not all that unusual for a car with 120K miles on it and which is frequently modified, modded, and flat-out wrecked from time to time. I am fortunate in that I have a job that is flexible enough to allow me to work from home when I had no ride, and that pays enough that I was able to afford to get the problem fixed (eventually) once and for all, and still be able to pay for my own rental car most of the time when my car was in the shop.

I could be falling victim to revisionist history here, but I don't see that happening so soon after the history has occurred...it's more likely that my view is being shaped by a conversation that I just had with an old friend from way back. I literally just got in touch with him after many years of no contact (yes literally - today as a matter of fact), and the tales of woe he wove for me were truly shocking when viewed in the context for which I had known him.

Most of the undesirable events he described were probably brought on by bad decisions or lack of forethought, and some of it was surely due to just having bad luck. However, almost all of it was bad news no matter how you slice it, and none of it was anything I would want to be subject to (or subjected to, for that matter).

The whole time I was talking to him, I couldn't stop thinking, "holy crap, I'll take a Challenger with a finicky charging system any day over custody fights with opiate-addicted foreign nationals who would rather steal my car than call a taxi to leave me for her next love interest/drug dealer (yes, those 2 are usually the same person in these type circumstances)."

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I have a friend with a 2014 Avenger RT and his car was throwing the same code.
I had him leave the car overnight and checked the battery standing voltage.
12.06 volts. I told him the battery was going.
He was dismayed that a three year old car had a bad battery. This was last fall.
I had to point out that car manufacturers buy car batteries by the thousands and they are not the best on the market by far. So don't be surprised if you don't get so many years out of them.
He replaced with a NAPA gold 7 year warranty and problem went away.
Mind the fact that it never failed him but the computers seem to be more sensitive to a lower standing voltage than in earlier years.
Another friend had a two year old Ford platinum pick up, Same exact problem. New battery fixed it.
They both bought vehicles new.
I know this wasn't your issue but just wanted to put it out there this valuable information.
BTW. Standing voltage should be no less than 12.5 to 12.6 volts. Check after overnight setting. Alarm off or disconnect battery for the standing test.

Yep, with as many starts as I had to get from the battery after not getting a full charge from the alternator, making sure the battery was always charged up after sitting overnight was a top priority for me. There were stretches where I would start the car 5 or 6 times in between the alternator doing any real charging, which is more than I thought the battery would be able to handle honestly, but thankfully I was surprised by its durability on a couple different occasions.

Now, that's not to say I wasn't helping it along from time to time by using a trickle charger...one store-bought and one homemade after the store-bought one crapped out actually. It might sound crazy, but in a pinch, wiring 3 of those 6 volt lantern batteries together in series will provide a very nice top-off (and even mild recharge) to a 12 volt car like what we use. It has virtually no use as a jump-starter or anything like that, but if hooked up to a 12 volt battery that's sitting at the low 12's, it will bring it up to 13volts no problem if left to sit for an hour or two.

What can I say, it seems necessity is truly the mother of invention! (Just like desperation is also the bas-tard father of hair-brained schemes that sometime actually work!!)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yep, with as many starts as I had to get from the battery after not getting a full charge from the alternator, making sure the battery was always charged up after sitting overnight was a top priority for me. There were stretches where I would start the car 5 or 6 times in between the alternator doing any real charging, which is more than I thought the battery would be able to handle honestly, but thankfully I was surprised by its durability on a couple different occasions.

Now, that's not to say I wasn't helping it along from time to time by using a trickle charger...one store-bought and one homemade after the store-bought one crapped out actually. It might sound crazy, but in a pinch, wiring 3 of those 6 volt lantern batteries together in series will provide a very nice top-off (and even mild recharge) to a 12 volt car like what we use. It has virtually no use as a jump-starter or anything like that, but if hooked up to a 12 volt battery that's sitting at the low 12's, it will bring it up to 13volts no problem if left to sit for an hour or two.

What can I say, it seems necessity is truly the mother of invention! (Just like desperation is also the bas-tard father of hair-brained schemes that sometime actually work!!)

Exactly! Desperation brings about the best in us..............and sadly, sometimes the worst. What better motivation!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts