Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be real honest and say I'm not a devout dodge guy or anything but I sure have came around on the 3rd gens. I typically focus more on JDM. But one day i was working at some used car dealership fixing their hand rails...and i swear the front end of this flat black hell cat mean mugged the shit out of me. And the whole day i fought the notion that I now like this vehicle, I "like like" this car though. frfr. and it was seriously just the front end just stood there looking mean as hell. So whats everyones first attraction to the challenger? any gen. is it as shallow as mine? haha

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,995 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;)

Vanishing Point :)

Well, liked them since they came out. When I 1st saw the concept car, I thought that was great. When my Grand Prix became long in the tooth, I did look online at other cars, but you can't fool yourself, lol.

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well, liked them since they came out. When I 1st saw the concept car, I thought that was great. When my Grand Prix became long in the tooth, I did look online at other cars, but you can't fool yourself, lol.

A Guy
yeah they came out with so many performance options. And they didnt suck

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
69 Posts
When the latest reiteration of the Challenger came out in 2008? I was happy but a little skeptical, thinking this can never be as good as the old classic, and it won't last but a few years. The retro mustang looked real good then as the years went by, the profile changed and now its pretty much down to a few retro styling points. Retro camaro too. When I found out Dodge pretty much kept the Challenger retro profile the same in 2020 except for the recent '71 design refurbish, I was convinced the formula still works and I can't believe we can still get the styling, which has grown on me. All the other cars now have the aerodynamic front end but the Challenger still has the "attack" and "eat" whatever is in front of it attitude, with round headlights too. The rear hips going to the tough but simple taillight design just looks right. If the redesign is coming up I'm not taking any chances, I can't think of how Dodge can improve the current version in terms of design. Well, I was thinking treating the flat sides with a little more curve into it, maybe.

·
Super Moderator
13,973 Posts
I was forced to sell my 1971 'Cuda when my daughter was born. We needed a car with a big trunk and A/C. I always regretted selling it. When I saw photos of the Challenger concept, in 2006, I thought that my prayers were answered and that my 'Cuda was reborn! As soon as I saw the new 2009 Challenger in person, at the Philadelphia car show in Feb. 2008, it was love at first sight. Two weeks later my order was in for a Hemi-orange SRT!

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
In high school, I looked high and low for Challengers and they were few and far between - the condition was another factor as well.

When the '06 concept model made its appearance - and later when it was announced it would be built...that was it for me.

The announcement of a 6 speed manual for the '09 year sealed the deal.

I always liked the '69 Camaro / Firebird a lot and the E-bodies were certainly inspired by that shape, with Chrysler's take (let's offer all the engine options) on it along with the high impact colors.

My first two cars were Plymouth - a Fury and a roadrunner after I couldn't find and E-body models.

I had a friend back in college that had a '70 Barracuda convertible that was probably Torred (aka Hemi Orange then) with a Burnt Orange interior...still remember how unusual that color was then.

In auto shop I helped a friend put headers on his '70 Challenger R/T SE (440-4bbl).
Later on he bought the Six-pack setup (parts were still available at the dealer then) on that car.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
-Vanishing Point, pistol grip shifter
-2 Fast 2 Furious (pink slip race scene with the orange '70)
-Pictures of my Dad's blue '74 Challenger he had in the '70s.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
454 Posts
The menacing look coming down the road. Had to have it!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
382 Posts
Loved the looks of them from day 1. But didnt love the looks of the inside which looked too much like my Ram. Still, i wanted one. When 2015's came out, i really wanted one but couldnt get one till i paid off some bills. Finally got my 2018 last year.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I was a huge Mopar guy back in the 1970s. Chrysler had the best body styles. I had a 1974 Challenger and a 1973 Coronet back then. When Lee Iaccoca decided to produce golf carts (K-car) to save Chrysler, I moved on to Fords. Fast forward to 2006 and the Challenger concept car. It was then inevitable and just a matter of waiting for production vehicles for me to walk out of my house and see a Dodge emblem again. Good move for Chrysler. I've had five Challengers, a Ram and a Jeep Grand Cherokee since 2010. I wish they'd come up with a retro 1971 Plymouth Road Runner body style.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Funny thing is, I can't remember exactly how I got into the Challenger. I think it was when I saw the orange 1970 model in 2 Fast 2 Furious around 6th grade? I'm 23 now so it's been a little bit. Before that, I was very into the '67-'70 Mustangs after seeing Tokyo Drift. Then I saw Vanishing Point, then saw a REAL Challenger at Don Garlits' museum, and man that was IT. I was hooked.

I was never a huge fan of the modern Challenger until the '71 styling update in 2015. It really brought a more modern and higher end touch to the car, in my humble opinion. What really sealed my interest was the Hellcat, and also driving the granite crystal Scat Pack that one of my dad's friends bought in 2015. I knew then I wanted a modern Challenger.

Fast forward after graduating college and commissioning as an Air Force officer last September. Within a month I was down at my local Volkswagen dealership where they had a used, super low mileage 2016 SRT 392, traded in my piece of shit 2001 Durango and made the Challenger my daily. Was it a smart purchase given my financial status? Hell no! My only regret was not waiting longer to have a much bigger down payment ready. And also not checking underneath the car to see that hackjob of an exhaust someone put on it 🙄

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
649 Posts

A Guy
I LOVE the lines on the first gen, just never thought I would be able to buy one as it is a toy and not practical in Idaho at all.

Goal is to bring a 2nd gen home next year...……………..

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
649 Posts
Uhhh...why would you want a 2nd gen?? The current car is the 3rd gen
Um bought a first gen in 2019, so it makes sense to buy a used 2nd gen to go with the 1st gen...……..LOL

1 - 20 of 68 Posts