Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna buy one.

Roomier than the STI which was my other alternative (I don't want the Nissan Skyline/GYT-R, I'm not a Mustang, Caddy, or Vette guy, don't want anything Continental, and I don't like the 'new' Camaro in any category). I haven't driven the Focus RS, and I probably won't look at a Honda Civic whatever the hell it is just because...
Other impressions: Stiffer torsionally than the STI (this was a Scat Pack Hemi Shaker 392, with sway bars but didn't have the coilover Bilsteins).
Not sure that first gear is needed other than parking garages, maybe not then.
Only place I used 6th was on the highway... at super-legal speeds. I guess I might use it during a commute, since I did drain 1/4 tank from the car.
That motor... that sound... and I was only in whatever normal driving mode the car boots, er, starts in. It droned at fast idle, but the drone goes away (electrically-modified exhaust routing, maybe?). I did notice I could feel individual cylinders contribution below ~3000 RPM pulling in 2nd, which surprised me as I think the clutch/flywheel is probably heavy/large. Feeding out the clutch/feathering (during an oversteer/drift left-hander) and while rowing up the gears, the clutch locked up without undue slip despite the power output. I think the car will heel/toe just fine in a chicane. I can see me replacing it more than once during the lifetime/ownership of the car, but it didn't complain
I like the shifter throw in most shifts, but don't like the 5-6 shift gate. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it feels like the sixth-gear slot is about 2mm too far to the right for my natural upshift. I like the position of R gear (up, not down - thanks, Tremec).
Reduced glass/greenhouse, hard to back by turning over your shoulder and actually looking, liked the U-Connect/backup lines turning when I turned the wheel (my 2012 RAM 1500 doesn't do that), and has a HELLACIOUS blindspot to the driver's left/rear, with a driver's side mirror that honestly could be larger. No issues with the passenger mirror, though.

I got it to oversteer a bit on a 90' left on the gas in third, but was very predictable and very much fun (with someone else's tires :))

I think the 392 was willing to ~4k RPM, probably because it was in 'normal daily drive' mode. Didn't try the launch control or any other ECU feature. Noticed (again, probably this mode) that it seemed to want to keep revs up/didn't 'engine brake' on downshifts with no gas like my old Chevy 350 pickup did (probably an emissions thing?).

10 minutes behind the wheel, no major felonies observed by any LEOs, and I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Oh, and the best part: I called USAA today, to ask about insurance exclusions (I would be the only driver), and was quoted $160/mo for the SRT 392. That rocks!!

Looks like it'll be March when I pull the trigger, and it'll be an SRT 392. Counting the days.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
They are great cars! I wanted a 6 speed manual originally, but.... just drive an 8 speed auto before you make your final decision.

I’m a “stick guy” and it won me over.

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Yeah, those A8 are sure quick and the MDS helps with MPG. The only trade-off (not really) is A8s come standard with an open diff and the manuals get limited slip standard.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Yeah, those A8 are sure quick and the MDS helps with MPG. The only trade-off (not really) is A8s come standard with an open diff and the manuals get limited slip standard.

Sorry, but A8 392's have the limited slip rear end standard.

Reactions: NoNeck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh, and the best part: I called USAA today, to ask about insurance exclusions (I would be the only driver), and was quoted $160/mo for the SRT 392. That rocks!!
$160/ month just for the car?? That's ridiculous! I have Geico through Navy Fed and I only pay about $145 for my T/A 392 AND my Dart. And that's with almost full coverage.

Other than that, awesome choice on the car. I liked the idea of the SRT's 3-mode suspension, but I felt like it wasn't something I'd use often enough to warrant the cost. And the old school T/A look was too cool for me to say no.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$160/ month just for the car?? That's ridiculous! I have Geico through Navy Fed and I only pay about $145 for my T/A 392 AND my Dart. And that's with almost full coverage.

Other than that, awesome choice on the car. I liked the idea of the SRT's 3-mode suspension, but I felt like it wasn't something I'd use often enough to warrant the cost. And the old school T/A look was too cool for me to say no.
Boats, where are you, geographically? This would be garaged just outside Dallas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh.. I didn't even think to look :/ It probably does explain the difference in rate.

Edit: in talking to my wife, she tells me she's bumped up some coverages on the general policy also (we've got three vehicles, one driven by the kids).

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Test driving a 392 does things to ones head, without a doubt.

I never tested one while I had my R/TC, just because I knew what it would do to me. Actually, I never test drove one before I ordered my Scat Pack. My first "drive" was at delivery, and I instantly knew that I ordered the right car! LOL

Best street car that I've ever owned, and a big bang for the bucks spent

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both of my cars are garaged in Virginia Beach. Dart is registered in CO, Chally in VA. Funny thing is I was paying about $75/ mo just for the Dart. When I added the T/A, it basically doubled. I was expecting a lot more for a brand new car with almost triple the power and 5x the displacement lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey, following up, wife called USAA.

The kids are automatically applied to the most expensive vehicle/most loan outstanding. They wouldn't be driving the Challenger.

They were applied to the 2015 Pilot the wife drives, but not to the 2007 Mazda CX-7 they actually DO drive.

We fixed that, then requoted the Challenger. Turns out we have some non-standard coverages/amounts for deductible, Texas hail/wind, rental car, gap/replacement insurance, and that seems to be the difference. My auto rates are lower in Dallas than in Phoenix, so I can't give an alternate address and get better.

So, about 158/mo (yeah, not much better). Or, I have to go for $500/deductible, less rental, less/no gap, and lower personal liability/uninsured motorist to do better.

I *hate* insurance, and my wife's an adjuster, go figure.

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
hey, following up, wife called USAA.

The kids are automatically applied to the most expensive vehicle/most loan outstanding. They wouldn't be driving the Challenger.

They were applied to the 2015 Pilot the wife drives, but not to the 2007 Mazda CX-7 they actually DO drive.

We fixed that, then requoted the Challenger. Turns out we have some non-standard coverages/amounts for deductible, Texas hail/wind, rental car, gap/replacement insurance, and that seems to be the difference. My auto rates are lower in Dallas than in Phoenix, so I can't give an alternate address and get better.

So, about 158/mo (yeah, not much better). Or, I have to go for $500/deductible, less rental, less/no gap, and lower personal liability/uninsured motorist to do better.

I *hate* insurance, and my wife's an adjuster, go figure.
With kids you want high coverages, uninsured, underinsured and a million dollar umbrella on your homeowners.
Using an alternate address is insurance fraud and when figured out you’d wish you just paid the premiums. Even if you wanted to insure as a collector car, you have to own and insure one daily driver for each licensed driver in the house. They made me sign papers that my car is never used as a common car, no malls, schools, no taking to work and left in a lot etc. I know people getting caught playing games like that to save money and they were sorry they did.
My car is even plugged in very discreetly in the garage to the houses central station alarm system and should it go off they call it in to local police with license plate number and full description. One policy specific is no.one under 25 is allowed to drive either. They look to protect themselves from a payout as much as to cover the car.
With all the kids and cars here, my policy for family cars not including extra weekend toys is almost $11,000. (not a typo). Bottom line is if you own expensive property and have a lot to lose you better cover it all well or an accident especially by inexperienced younger drivers can wipe you out.
All these insurance discussions ALWAYS talk about premiums but they forget to state coverages and deductibles and if they have roadside assistance, rental car coverages per day etc. last but not least is how they handle claims, I don’t want used parts on a new/newer car or some other cost saving that benefits them and screws the policy holder which is why those rediculous gecko and tramp flo commercials will never get my money, they portray themselves like a circus side show and their claims process from what I’ve heard is lacking and why the policies are so attractive.
My cousin bought his new driver son a new mustang and as kids do drove like many here who think they are the best and greatest (even though they are NOT) and sadly there was a terrible wreck and the kids friend was a passenger who had to be cut out of the car and life flighted to the trauma center and will never again be even close to normal.
Then came the lawsuit and if he didn’t have really really good policies might be a poor man today. Sadder is the poor friend who was just riding along with his buddy.
Anyone reading this, rethink being cheap and solely thinking about policy cost over coverages.

Reactions: EddieG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Using an alternate address is insurance fraud and when figured out you’d wish you just paid the premiums.
I do own a property, not rented-out, in Mesa, AZ. It's a four-bed, three-car garage house, and I'm there about once a month. My MIL lives in it, but I'm the deeded owner.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts