Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first post here so bare with me as I don't know if this was the right place to post this. So I have a 2012 Challenger R/T Classic, loved the car as soon as I saw it and have been generally happy with the purchase. I've owned it for about a year now. Shortly after getting the car there was a CEL and the car always came close to overheating, ended up being the lifters. The dealership fixed that right up but after that came another CEL, this time for the O2 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. I finally got around to replacing the O2 Sensor during my winter break, problem seemed solved for a week or two... until it wasn't. CEL came back on, same code, same bank, same sensor same everything. It can't actually be the O2 Sensor again as the part is brand freakin' new. It's so frustrating to see that light on every time I start the car, plus I can't properly use the remote start as the car won't stay on for more than 15 seconds that way with a CEL. I haven't taken it to the dealership yet because I've got a strong feeling they'll replace the O2 Sensors again even if I tell them that I've already done so, and then probably charge me for it. I figured before I go that far that I'd ask around here to see if anyone has experienced the same problem and has a solution. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2012 R/T classic too and had the same code come up, this is what I did and it never came back (not saying this is your problem but it worked for me). I found that where the o2 sensor plug into the harness had moisture in it, and under further investigation I found that water was coming in through the functional hood scoop dripping onto the valve cover and then on to the plug. So I blew out the plug with compress air, applied dielectric grease, and reposition the plug behind the engine. Can't say for sure that was the problem, but the light has not come back in 3 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2012 R/T classic too and had the same code come up, this is what I did and it never came back (not saying this is your problem but it worked for me). I found that where the o2 sensor plug into the harness had moisture in it, and under further investigation I found that water was coming in through the functional hood scoop dripping onto the valve cover and then on to the plug. So I blew out the plug with compress air, applied dielectric grease, and reposition the plug behind the engine. Can't say for sure that was the problem, but the light has not come back in 3 years.
See, I never would've thought of that, and quite frankly I don't think the dealership would have either. I'll give it a shot tomorrow! Hopefully it works out, seems like a good chance considering it's the same car and same problem. Thanks a lot

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got and O2 sensor code P1622 high voltage after splashing thru some standing water..
It cleared on its own then got it a few days later when it was raining.

I got a shaker and wondering the same. Maybe the wiring is in a spot that gets wet from the drain on the shaker. I'll have to find the plug and put some electric lube on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts