Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eFGxINgXZM

NASA Summer Sizzling Week End; with 2 races in American Iron Series and a bunch of HDPE sessions

First time on that track with 130/140 mph down the back straight and with long turn at the bridge at 120 mph with a hard braking to a left hander then onto the bolt

last session is a mix session w/ action and no action however giving the mustang and an S4 their run for the money

a few errors but felt very good on the track; saved some tire for the way home which was brutal on the NJ turnpike

XP 10 pads in the front; ECB yellow in back; hemifever tune, Torco octane boost

lots of heel and toe; some of them i missed, some of them i got in

lots of fun; a very fast track and with major level differences where you can really hurt yourself and the car

so be cautious if u drive your challenger there; get an instructor if it is your first time; it made a WORLD of a difference to me; being able to understand the track and the lines quick and get the different schools of thoughts on which line to take

from the 3.45 mark on it heats up as i am taking a scion, an S4, a mustang, a corvette, a subaru and finish with a BMW series 3, then the checkered flag goes up

may be they were tired or i was fast; another D3 in a challenger supercharged was there and checked my time at 1.26 on the session before last so i was ok with that result knowing Porsche GTS 3 Cups do 1.19

Cheers

ODP

·
Registered
268 Posts
Way to Go! Nice Lines!

It’s so awesome with a 6sp especially the heel toe downshifts.

Can’t wait to head back myself. Especially that I’ve never driven on Lighting. It looks like a much quicker track than Thunderbolt.

Great Job representing the Challenger. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but I think you could of pushed it way more in the corners. The beast is more than capable. You should be pulling close to a G with your mods. Overall great job. Love the sound of the Magnaflows at WOT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts
Right on!! Great driving, that must have been a blast! Great video too.....very clear, no shaking, etc. What camera and mount did you use this time?

Reactions: O_Racing

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Don't take this the wrong way but I think you could of pushed it way more in the corners. The beast is more than capable. You should be pulling close to a G with your mods. Overall great job. Love the sound of the Magnaflows at WOT.

no worries HEMIZSP; coaching is king for improving; i do agree with the you on the bolt (the long right hander slightly banked)

however i pulled more than a 1G on most right handers

where i did not reach the 1G mark is at the turn pass the bridge;
tried a few things but did not reach that;

i have stock suspension all the way around so i am not that stiff yet; all parts are bought but it is not on the car
sport mode is on but on the track that thing does half the job if not a third;

i really could have been more aggressive on the braking
i did the session before this one and i almost rear ended a corvette on slicks and bigger brakes; that cooled me down a bit; i was at around 120 and pushed in the brakes, the ABS kicked in and I saw my car going right into his ass; that was not cool...

my overall goal was to drive back the car the way i brought it in and given my skills i am still too rookie to stiff her in the corner the way i want to; some corners i feel good, some still working at it

what i can do is go deeper in the braking zone but i just did not want to take the chance; i have a limited budget and it is not expandable so if i break something it sets me back that much in time;

Cheers

ODP

Reactions: wasp392

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on!! Great driving, that must have been a blast! Great video too.....very clear, no shaking, etc. What camera and mount did you use this time?
go pro 3+ i bought from the forum from Sandshar

i used the go pro suction cup and now put it right under or next to the rear view mirror; seems to work better, otherwise i need the bar that mounts on the head rest; the rear view mirror is not obstructive for D2 levels so it is still working; in higher level the less on the windshield the better

ODP

Reactions: Sandshar

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way to Go! Nice Lines!

It’s so awesome with a 6sp especially the heel toe downshifts.

Can’t wait to head back myself. Especially that I’ve never driven on Lighting. It looks like a much quicker track than Thunderbolt.

Great Job representing the Challenger. :bigthumb:
indeed definitely faster but a lot more fun because of the elevation changes

personally The Glen is "the" track in the North East because elevation changes make the whole racing experience that much more interesting;
can't wait to go back in September with NASA;

i am doing the season finale at thunderbolt in October under NASA in D2; come join!

Cheers

ODP

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can't believe that was on all stock suspension. Pretty impressive. Love how the challenger surprises so many on the road course. I'd like to try out Putnam Park here in Indiana. Need to look into that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
268 Posts
indeed definitely faster but a lot more fun because of the elevation changes

personally The Glen is "the" track in the North East because elevation changes make the whole racing experience that much more interesting;
can't wait to go back in September with NASA;

i am doing the season finale at thunderbolt in October under NASA in D2; come join!

Cheers

ODP
October may work for me. I'll look into it.

FYI- I installed BC Racing coilovers BR type and Hotchkis front and rear sway bar set.

You will be shocked at the difference. A must upgrade.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
no worries HEMIZSP; coaching is king for improving; i do agree with the you on the bolt (the long right hander slightly banked)

however i pulled more than a 1G on most right handers

where i did not reach the 1G mark is at the turn pass the bridge;
tried a few things but did not reach that;

i have stock suspension all the way around so i am not that stiff yet; all parts are bought but it is not on the car
sport mode is on but on the track that thing does half the job if not a third;

i really could have been more aggressive on the braking
i did the session before this one and i almost rear ended a corvette on slicks and bigger brakes; that cooled me down a bit; i was at around 120 and pushed in the brakes, the ABS kicked in and I saw my car going right into his ass; that was not cool...

my overall goal was to drive back the car the way i brought it in and given my skills i am still too rookie to stiff her in the corner the way i want to; some corners i feel good, some still working at it

what i can do is go deeper in the braking zone but i just did not want to take the chance; i have a limited budget and it is not expandable so if i break something it sets me back that much in time;

Cheers

ODP

Haha no coaching here. Every track event I learn new things and try to improve on those techniques. It's all about time behind the wheel and learning from one another. For instance it took a while until I started to get used the nittos and getting to know where the limit it before they let go. Same thing with the brembos. I love late braking and pushing the limits. Building confidence as you go. Getting to know the track. Our cars are amazing on the track in pretty much stock form. I've gone toe to toe with some Porsches, M3s, even those miatas. Now just imagine if we had stiffer suspension. Track design also plays a big part. Anyways, great job. Keep it up. It's nice to see challengers on the track. Well represented. Always enjoy track talk.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is my channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8MghKYBlryEmC4oXudUY9g

posted session 3 day 2 and will post more from day 1; seems i could not go below the 1.23 min per lap on day 2 at random, not on every lap;

definitely need to buy these slicks and 18" race rims so i can go home on fresh tires...

Thanks all for your comments

Cheers,

ODP

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, that's my dream. To get the 18" rims/slicks for track days. As I'm sure you're already aware, they not only provide better grip, but will lower the car(I think at least an inch) and should be lighter.

Reactions: O_Racing

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, that's my dream. To get the 18" rims/slicks for track days. As I'm sure you're already aware, they not only provide better grip, but will lower the car(I think at least an inch) and should be lighter.
indeed the best money spent for immediate performance add

jack up the rear horse power at the wheel by 25 to 40hp; lighter as rotational weight is decreased exponentially

i am going with forgeline GA3R; the pricing is much better when speaking to them than online but still out there; much better product than BBS in my opinion and customized

i have to stay within the 78" max width regulation of the AIX (American Iron Series Xtreme) where i will be running 315's slicks all around from Hoosier; i am redoing my wheel hubs with ARP racing studs

18" is the way to go; 20" is convenient for the beginner; for HPDE 3 and D4 i don't see keeping 20" making sense while a bunch guys still burn their Nitto out in D3....

I bought my new set of Nitto 2 weeks ago and they are already pretty much done; another couple of days on the track and i can say good bye

that was 100 miles at POCONO, 240 miles on LIGHTNING and i will have another 200 miles on the next track days with them and another 2000 miles of DOT approved pavement; approx 3000 miles and these tires are done....sad...cost is 35 cents per mile

ouch

ODP

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Some day I'll be able to afford some dedicated track wheels and tires. In the meantime I have to live vicariously through you guys who turn left and right while waiting for the right moment to slam the loud pedal while working all three feet. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. Only a few of us like to do it in corners I'm gathering.

Thanks for another adrenaline rush!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
O Racing, how thick is the metal plate you screwed on? I've been playing with the idea. I got big feet and right now I'm side footing instead of heel toeing. My big foot don't fit right in the given space without bad, 'er really bad things happening. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
O Racing, how thick is the metal plate you screwed on? I've been playing with the idea. I got big feet and right now I'm side footing instead of heel toeing. My big foot don't fit right in the given space without bad, 'er really bad things happening. :shock:

i will take a pix tonight and post; i warn ya' it looks real ugly....lol, but damn is does the job...

my shoe size is 14 so i am not doing the heel / toe unless i change the whole pedal mounting mechanism...which i will not...hell no;

i am half way between side toeing and sticking the inferior part of my foot in the pedal

it does not matter what you do as long as you rev match while braking and downshifting at the same time;

Skip Barber teaches the double clutch method

practicing this method with heel and toe on the track is like saying i want to kill myself and crash other cars in front of me;

for now i can heel toe but i can't heel toe and double clutch...that one i need more practice late at night in my preferred abandoned DOT approved roads...lol

a few pix from the week end

ODP

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wish there were more road courses around here in the south. It's my favorite type of racing/fun in a car. I'd be happy just hot lapping

1 - 20 of 44 Posts