Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody designing a workaround for the OBD ll port? Chrysler I guess decided to put a security feature that doesn’t allow anything to plug into it. I heard z auto (tazer company) is supposed to be coming out with some dual bypass OBD port you hook up in the trunk. But I’m confused on whether I can tune these new cars? Are 18 cracked pcm available yet?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
I was under the impression manufactures are not allowed to block code reading. I can certainly see them working to block our ability to modify things via the OBD port but that has been a battle back and forth for years.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,049 Posts
Pretty sure the OBD II port is pretty universal as all mechanics and shops have to be able to access it for code reading purposes. The block has been in the PCM as far as the ability to tune a vehicle and the 2015-2017 models require an unblocked PCM in order to allow tuning. As for the 2018 car's I don't know if anyone has tuning out for them yet but I'm sure all the major players are working on it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You're talking about the secure gateway module. It keeps the the radio on a different CAN network so that if someone does find a way to remotely hack your vehicle over the air, they won't be able to access things like steering and braking. It's also a block against malicious things that can be plugged into the OBD port. Unfortunately that means it might be more difficult for you to the equip aftermarket tunes, but I don't know much about that.

It still allows for code reading with basic scan tools, but for more in-depth diagnostics like actuators or flash updates, the device has to be authenticated (FCA wiTech pod or Snap-On tools for example) for the SGW to allow it full access.

·
Registered
96 Posts
While window shopping on some hemi performance sites, I came across the bandaid for 2018's.. Companies are taking 2015-2017 pcms, cracking them, and flashing for the 2018. I havent seen any direct fix yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're talking about the secure gateway module. It keeps the the radio on a different CAN network so that if someone does find a way to remotely hack your vehicle over the air, they won't be able to access things like steering and braking. It's also a block against malicious things that can be plugged into the OBD port. Unfortunately that means it might be more difficult for you to the equip aftermarket tunes, but I don't know much about that.

It still allows for code reading with basic scan tools, but for more in-depth diagnostics like actuators or flash updates, the device has to be authenticated (FCA wiTech pod or Snap-On tools for example) for the SGW to allow it full access.
Thank you for the info , I hope they figure away to tune them. I have to buy a bypass through the tazer website because tazer does not work on these new cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While window shopping on some hemi performance sites, I came across the bandaid for 2018's.. Companies are taking 2015-2017 pcms, cracking them, and flashing for the 2018. I havent seen any direct fix yet.

What site did you see this on I’m interested in seeing prices?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,049 Posts
I emailed diablo sport a couple days ago and they said they don’t support 2018 models yet, so I don’t know what they’re selling on fasthemis.com
Possibly they are selling an unlocked 2017 PCM to put in your 2018. Either that or maybe their advertising is getting ahead of their actual product.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have read a lot of sites that say the same thing. They take a newerish PCM that is already cracked and put that one in the latest car using the latest version of the software. Now this may work, but in the computer field this is short sited if you ask me. Newer PCM's normally have not been cracked yet because the encryption is different, the encryption is different because its(better/faster/stronger) This almost always requires more computing power, so in reality the end product sold is missing something that is different from what came with the car(the sold PCM has slower processor\less memory\combo of the 2 or more) These are bad if you ask me. I prefer the upgrade method to the downgrade method(putting newer/latest PCM's) in older cars if going the tuner route. This normally enables items that are not available because of limitations of the older PCM's. IE items like boost by gear and other tech the tuner may use and be supported in some tunes but not in the same car that is older. Boost by gear is an example because in another car I owned I had to get a PCM from 4 year newer car(same make/model/trany type) if I wanted the tune to have boost by gear because the processor that came in the car originally was lacking the speed and memory for maps that could handle the different boost levels that were available in a specific gear.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,703 Posts
Smog test is via ODB, so there must be some way to access. A Guy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have read a lot of sites that say the same thing. They take a newerish PCM that is already cracked and put that one in the latest car using the latest version of the software. Now this may work, but in the computer field this is short sited if you ask me. Newer PCM's normally have not been cracked yet because the encryption is different, the encryption is different because its(better/faster/stronger) This almost always requires more computing power, so in reality the end product sold is missing something that is different from what came with the car(the sold PCM has slower processor\less memory\combo of the 2 or more) These are bad if you ask me. I prefer the upgrade method to the downgrade method(putting newer/latest PCM's) in older cars if going the tuner route. This normally enables items that are not available because of limitations of the older PCM's. IE items like boost by gear and other tech the tuner may use and be supported in some tunes but not in the same car that is older. Boost by gear is an example because in another car I owned I had to get a PCM from 4 year newer car(same make/model/trany type) if I wanted the tune to have boost by gear because the processor that came in the car originally was lacking the speed and memory for maps that could handle the different boost levels that were available in a specific gear.

Ron
So do you think and computer from a 16-17 car is far less superior to an 18’s computer? I’m not tech savvy so honest question ..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,703 Posts
No, I doubt they are different at all except to recognize the head unit, and maybe eventually allow the auto up windows to work. A Guy

·
Registered
397 Posts
cpu differences

So do you think and computer from a 16-17 car is far less superior to an 18’s computer? I’m not tech savvy so honest question ..
I dont know either. Normally the differences come out 3-4 years after the last motor to use the processor is released. The end user finds out when a tuner says this year supports that feature and its not available on motors before the noted one but cars before that used the same motor. An example would be if 2020 was the last year for the 5.7 and some tuner noted it supported different(higher injector levels) but the 15-16 models did not. In my case with the other car I had to get a 4 year newer processor because I wanted to go with 730 cc injectors and boost by gear, the tuner said the original processor could only handle maps that used up to 550 cc injectors and did not have enough memory to support boost by gear. Those people really know the differences between processors. I dont follow any of that stuff until I find out the processor in my car does not support something other year cars do and then I research why. Until then I dont really care to know, But I do know they never loose memory or get a slower processor.

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts