Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Challenger GT here. The manual doesn't specify where the OBD port it is and instead gives a warning to not be connecting anything unauthorized to it. In any event, can someone tell me where it is located?

I was considering buying a new fangled dash cam that draws power from the OBD port and allows the camera to stay on in parking mode until it detects a 5% drop in battery, but now I'm thinking it's a bad idea. I don't want a dead battery nor a car computer that ends up going haywire.

Anyone use anything in this port regularly? Any issues of battery drainage or other adverse effects? Thanks.

IMG_1004.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Over the years I've used the OBD2 port in all of my cars. Initially I used a hand held OBD2 code reader/data viewer/data logger.

Often I'd leave the OBD2 code reader plugged in all the time and it was never a problem. 'course, the car to which it was connected got used regularly every other day or so and I never noticed any battery issues leaving the code reader plugged in. Except once. The only time was when I went on vacation -- using my other car -- and forgot and left the code reader plugged into to my Boxster's OBD2 port. When I got back the battery was low and I had to replace it. The battery was original and over 6 years old.

More recently, maybe the last 12 years or so, I've had a data logger of some kind plugged in. I currently have one plugged into my 2018 Challenger Hellcat and my 2018 Mini JCW. (But I also had one in my R/T Scat Pack, and my Porsche Boxster and Porsche Turbo before the R/T Scat Pack and other cars going back to around 2006.)

The data loggers don't cause any problems connected to the port, either regarding power or with the engine controller.
(I wrote a lot of the code in the data loggers that talks to the car and I used well documented protocols to do this.)

When the engine is shut off the data logger goes into a very low power mode. Even leaving a car parked unused for a week or two with the data logger plugged in has not been a problem. However, I may have removed the data logger from the car I was leaving behind when I took my other car on a long road trip.

I have a dash cam, Thinkware F800, that has a parking mode. The camera can be configured to shut itself off if battery voltage drops below a certain level. I have not used this feature as the power socket (in my 2018 Hellcat) I have the camera connected to does not stay powered after the engine is shut off. I have not had the camera "permanently" installed either which can have it permanently powered.

With my Hellcat there is a way to cause this socket to remain powered after the engine is shut off. Have not done this yet but the steps involve adding a 2nd fuse to an empty fuse connector which then supplies this socket power all the time. One of these days I'll do this and then set up the camera for parking mode operation.

Not sure what the 5% drop in power uses as a reference power.

My info is a 12V car battery is at 100% at 12.7V. at 12.4V it is down to 80% and at 12.06V down to 50%.

If the 5% drop is from 12.7V that puts the voltage down to 12.06V and that's a half flat battery.

Unless I am missing something I don't think you want to use this dash camera in parking mode unless you can find what that 5% drop in power is in reference too and you can confirm the camera will shut down way before the battery power drops to a too low a level.

As an aside, with the Thinkware camera I can select the specific voltage level at which the camera powers down even if in parking mode. Assuming this feature works and it should as it is not hard to implement this feature in firmware I would have no worries about the camera running down the battery while the engine was off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,121 Posts
With my Hellcat there is a way to cause this socket to remain powered after the engine is shut off. Have not done this yet but the steps involve adding a 2nd fuse to an empty fuse connector which then supplies this socket power all the time. One of these days I'll do this and then set up the camera for parking mode operation.
You just have to move the fuse that's there

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/passenger-12v-outlet-fuse-643425/#post8195025

A Guy

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I would recommend getting a bigger battery to a Group 49 It will help anything that is plugged in and running last longer. ie Dash Cam. You will need a different battery holder Mopar Part# 5112059AB (About $15).

I went with the AGM Premium Battery from Bosch that can be had at PepBoys usually for around $150.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buying extra battery packs and such really seems extreme for routine camera usage.

I have a camera without display, fed from a switch that selects either power outlet - one is switched and the other is battery sourced. The same line feeds a hopkins plug in the glove box for my 6 outlet USB charger, that feeds my q wireless charger in the shifter cubby.

I leave it in switched mode 99% of the time, occasionally in battery in a parking lot, in a service facility, and once or twice at home to watch oddities at the neighbors. Since I don't do long term remote parking, there's no need for a long term battery substitute. I suspect most people are much like this.

The switched USB charger on the same line is handy too, when I forget to charge the phone and need to leave it charging for a few stops before the gym.

My switch is a round on off on, and mounted at the top of the 'triangle' above the driver's net cubby. I can find it without looking easily. Up is battery (a 'higher' source) and down is switched.

·
Registered
148 Posts
2017 Challenger GT here. The manual doesn't specify where the OBD port it is and instead gives a warning to not be connecting anything unauthorized to it. In any event, can someone tell me where it is located?

I was considering buying a new fangled dash cam that draws power from the OBD port and allows the camera to stay on in parking mode until it detects a 5% drop in battery, but now I'm thinking it's a bad idea. I don't want a dead battery nor a car computer that ends up going haywire.

Anyone use anything in this port regularly? Any issues of battery drainage or other adverse effects? Thanks.

View attachment 907978

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The port is up by the parking brake where the hole in the pic is. My OBDII plug for some reason was wrapped around the main harness. I had to reach back there, pull it out and plug it back into the sheet metal.

As far as using the port regularly, I don't as far as the port under the dash goes. I use the Z automotive double bypass harness that plugs into the CAN bus in the trunk to leave my TAZER plugged in all of the time. No issues that I'm aware of so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You are right. I just happened to have the digital copy of my car's owner manual open and looked it up. I didn't recall the exact steps but I did remember it was doable without anything more that messing with fuses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for the analysis/detail and also the photo of where the port is located. Very helpful. The true mathematics of a percentage drop in voltage would not have occurred to me. Since it is concerning and I couldn't quite get the precise answer I needed from the camera company I was considering, I decided to nix the idea of a camera that plugs into this port (it also had no internal battery) and instead am going with something simpler that operates via cigarette lighter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts