Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 low-mileage Challenger SXT with 2-year-old, 60-month battery.
Starts instantly cold. Starts instantly hot.
However, when sitting 5-6 hours, it will sometimes crank 3-4 seconds before firing.
In one case, cranking actually stopped — and briefly displayed check engine light. But it then started fine.
What's up? Or don't worry about it?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Check battery terminals and ground cable to trunk frame connection and tighten all.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
What Robo said. Will add the new battery is no protection against the battery being bad. Replaced the battery in one car and within 5 months the new battery was acting up. I had to replace it again. Thankfully the battery warranty covered most if not all the replacement cost.

My point is a battery can fail at any time. After 7 years -- as was the case with another car of mine and its factory battery -- or after 5 months.

But check the connections first. Last thing touched and all that...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check battery terminals and ground cable to trunk frame connection and tighten all.
Thanks for responding. I had the battery checked, and it's apparently fine.

What Robo said. Will add the new battery is no protection against the battery being bad. Replaced the battery in one car and within 5 months the new battery was acting up. I had to replace it again. Thankfully the battery warranty covered most if not all the replacement cost.

My point is a battery can fail at any time. After 7 years -- as was the case with another car of mine and its factory battery -- or after 5 months.

But check the connections first. Last thing touched and all that...
Good point. Thanks for responding.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
However, when sitting 5-6 hours, it will sometimes crank 3-4 seconds before firing.
In one case, cranking actually stopped — and briefly displayed check engine light. But it then started fine.
Hi royaldan,
We apologize for the trouble you are experiencing. If you are not able to remedy this concern with the advice provided here, we kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer. If you are in need of any assistance with that process, our team is available via private message.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE: The battery was tested and is just fine. BUT now periodically, it will crank for a few seconds and then shut off. The check engine will come on. On the very next try, it starts right up and the check engine light goes away. What's going on here? Is this a starter motor? Or fuel pump?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
Have you pulled any codes?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
have the OBD-II codes scanned - something is trigger the CEL / MIL

if you have a Crank Position Sensor or Cam Position sensor (there's two on the V6) those can affect things.

CPS will get intermittent if hot and then behaves normally when it cools down - common behavior for that

if there's long crank cycles it can throw codes - could even be an issue with fuel pump relays. Cold starts get a longer pressure up time vs. hot starts.

So in the end getting diagnostic codes is the first step to see which systems to trace down for the faults

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
UPDATE ON THIS ISSUE: The battery was tested and is just fine. BUT now periodically, it will crank for a few seconds and then shut off. The check engine will come on. On the very next try, it starts right up and the check engine light goes away. What's going on here? Is this a starter motor? Or fuel pump?
My experience is once the starter begins to run it will run "forever". 'course, there is a caution about cranking the starter too long and to give it time to cool down between cranking events.

To have the starter shut off prematurely suggests a problem with the starter which really lies with the solenoid that for some reason de-energizes and disconnects the starter from electrical power and causes the starter pinion gear to retract. A solenoid or perhaps a bad starter/starting circuit relay.

A crank with no start has in my experience been a bad fuel pump. In one case when I had a car with what proved to be a bad fuel pump the tech just disconnected the fuel pump from the car's electrical system and supplied 12V shop power to the fuel pump. The fuel pump failed to run. Replaced the fuel pump and all was well again. I did check the fuse and relay before I brought the car in and the tech knew this. In fact he loaned me his bypass/test relay to use to eliminate the relay as the cause of the suspected bad fuel pump not running.

Oh, forgot to mention this but I'm with A Guy. Need to see any codes you can obtain when the CEL is on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have problems sometimes starting my 2011. My mechanic said , pull the key from the fob. Put key in ignition turn just 1 click . Then wait patiently for 20 minutes. Starts up. Works every time. Something to do with recognition and security.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I have problems sometimes starting my 2011. My mechanic said , pull the key from the fob. Put key in ignition turn just 1 click . Then wait patiently for 20 minutes. Starts up. Works every time. Something to do with recognition and security.
Glad that works for you but that is horrible. No way could I tolerate a car that upon failing to start would require I wait 20 minutes. I have to question that 20 minute wait. While I believe you I can't imagine a situation with the car's security system that would require 20 minutes for whatever was wrong to correct itself. Especially with the key turned just one click which I guess puts the car's electrical system in ACC mode. If anything I would expect any problem to be addressed, if at all, by turning the engine off and getting out of the car and locking it which after a few moments should have the car's various electronic systems shut down to their low (or no) power state.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. For what it's worth, I finally resolved the issue. The 2014 has two fuel pumps because of the "saddlebag" gasoline tank design. Replaced both fuel pumps ($$$) and the vehicle now starts like a champ again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts