Votes: 35 22.2%

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Higher than 92

Votes: 47 29.7%
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
89 as recommended, Chevron or Mobil. Here in CA that stuff is going for $4 - $4.10 a gallon right now.
One more time:

The 5.7L engine (with manual transmission)
is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy and performance when using
high-quality premium unleaded gasoline​
with an octane rating of 91 or higher.

If you drive an automatic 89 is fine. In fact you can run 87.

The OP's signature shows he's driving a manual.

Where are you getting your "recommendation" for 89?

·
Registered
208 Posts
One more time:

The 5.7L engine (with manual transmission)
is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide excellent fuel
economy and performance when using
high-quality premium unleaded gasoline​
with an octane rating of 91 or higher.

If you drive an automatic 89 is fine. In fact you can run 87.

The OP's signature shows he's driving a manual.

Where are you getting your "recommendation" for 89?

owners manual...

FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.5L and 5.7L Engine (with Automatic
Transmission)
The 3.5L and 5.7L engine (with automatic
transmission) is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high-quality unleaded gasoline having
an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer
recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum
performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended,
as it will not provide any benefit over regular
gasoline in these engines.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
owners manual...

FUEL REQUIREMENTS
3.5L and 5.7L Engine (with Automatic
Transmission)
The 3.5L and 5.7L engine (with automatic
transmission) is designed to meet all emissions
regulations and provide satisfactory
fuel economy and performance when using
high-quality unleaded gasoline having
an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer
recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum
performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended,
as it will not provide any benefit over regular
gasoline in these engines.
Last time I'll try to make this point. You are quoting from the manual for an AUTOMATIC Challenger.

The OP has a MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

The specs are different because the engines are set up differently.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can see what he is driving. He asked for the norm and lots of people with autos responded. He also included 87 and 89 in his poll so I figured he was interested.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I run the 91 tune on my auto R/T, can't get 91 in my area so I mix 93 and 89 to hit my octane number. Costco is a big savings, 18 to 20 cents per gallon saving. Only issue is they only have 87 and 93, takes a little more calculating to get the 91 octane mix goal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I run the 91 tune on my auto R/T, can't get 91 in my area so I mix 93 and 89 to hit my octane number. Costco is a big savings, 18 to 20 cents per gallon saving. Only issue is they only have 87 and 93, takes a little more calculating to get the 91 octane mix goal.
A 50/50 mix?

·
Registered
186 Posts
So how quality of the Costco gas? Does it have detergent additives? Personally, I have a hard time trusting discount gas. I used to work at a fueling depot (tank farm) and we had different additive tanks for each customer so I know there are differences. I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I run Shell or Chevron 93 and nothing else with a 91 octane tune, Doubting the methanol added gasoline is the true 93 octane rating, it at least doesn't pull timing like if I ran 91 gas on a 91 tune. Since our cars have NO fuel filters to speak of except for a poor little sock on the end of the pickup tube, we need to use the top-tier gasolines. Suck it up weenies, it's a muscle car and they can get thirsty. I didn't buy it to save the planet, just my lost adolescence.

El Conquistador

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
As I watch my ScanGauge like a hawk for realtime %lean fuel mixture, there was not much to be impressed about when I grabbed a half-a-tank of Costco 87 oct gas. It wasn't bad gas, and actually the engine responds to it about the same as Shell/Chevron/Mobil (which you would think should be top-rated gas, but left me underwhelmed for overall mpg, power development, and headroom to ward off performance-damping heatsoak). I still think the unsung champion of gas brands out there is still Union 76. If you really want to explore 87 oct gas, but good gas...Union 76, imo. ;) They're always expensive, though, so it's like you are buying 89/91 oct gas, anyway...but should that really be surprising? :eek: My theory is that Union 76 isn't watering the piss outta their gas with ethanol and various "detergents" to the extent that other "top-tier" gases do (hence, it is most like "real gas" as you can get these days, short of finding a station that still pumps actual 100% gas, these days).

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have found for cars burning regular gas, you can't beat Shell gasoline. For some reason we always got better mileage out of Shell.

I put a tankful of Shell premium in my wife's Lexus- - it too calls for 91 but that's not available in my area, and it did not perform as expected.

I've been trying to run Royal 93 in my Challenger, mainly because Royal's premium is 100% gas, no ethanol. I haven't seen a real advantage to it yet, but I imagine we're still running winter gas in VA. I'm anxious to see how performance/mileage may improve with the summer mixes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now that is something I have always been curious about, is there really a significant difference between summer and winter fuel.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
This is how my owners manual reads

there is nothing saying auto or 6 speed 5.7. I have been using 89 since day one as per above in my 6 speed not sure why things would be different up here but there is no mention of running 91 with the 6 speed 5.7 go figure??

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is how my owners manual reads

there is nothing saying auto or 6 speed 5.7. I have been using 89 since day one as per above in my 6 speed not sure why things would be different up here but there is no mention of running 91 with the 6 speed 5.7 go figure??
My 09 R/T 6M certainly calls for 91, and it WILL decrease the max RPMs if I used lower grade fuel, by a few hundred RPMs to protect the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
91 octane w/ Predator tune. 93 not available in this area.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
We have 93 at the pump so that is what I use. Best protection against engine knock.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just put my first tank of 87 octaine in my 2010 R/T 6 Speed and notice that in third when slowly accelerating I hear a little bit of ping.

Think I need to go back to 89 at least.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You know, when gas was 75 cents a gallon, and mid grade .85, premium .95 it seemed like such a big deal. 20 cents more a gallon? Now gas is $3.50-$4.00 for regular. 20 cents more for premium is no big deal.

I'm amazed that people spend this much money for cars, most of you countless more $$$$ for mods, and yet you want to push the envelope downward and burn the cheapest grade of gas in the hopes it "will be ok".

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
well I burn 89 oct in mine, here in Louisiana I havent seen 91 octane at any station. I have run a few tanks of 93. I do this about once a month or every 4-5 tanks. sure wich we could fine 91 somewhere. but not likely here.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
91 Oct - it's the highest we have in AZ...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts