Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone, I noticed this sort of whirring sound coming from under the hood, as well as a clicking sound. Please watch the short video in the youtube link to understand what I’m saying

Sound

the clicking sound can be heard at around the 11 second mark and a few seconds prior to the video ending

is this normal? Thank you for any help

·
Registered
418 Posts
I hear a relay connecting, probably the AC and right after that the fans coming on making the whirring sound. Open the hood and watch what kicks on when you hear the sounds.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Sounds like a bad water pump. BTW I just notice my water pump on my JGC is make a similar noise which means pump time for #3.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep sounds a lot like that, I haven’t noticed my car running any hotter though. It actually runs pretty cool for a hemi, right around 208 according to the display in the gauge cluster.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
Not hard. Here is what I did on my challenger:

1) Use ramps to raise the front end
2) Remove the 2 splash guards under the engine
3) Drain the coolant from the radiator
4) Disconnect the electrical connect to the fan
5) Unbolt the fan from the radiator (there are 2 bolts near the top of the fan)
6) Drop the fan so it is out of the way or pull it completely out from the bottom
7) Remove the belt
8) Unbolt the tensioner and idler pulley on the passenger side
9) Disconnect the engine temp sensor
10) Disconnect the top and lower hoses at the water pump (some coolant will spill from the top hose)
11) Unbolt the heater tube near the top of the water pump (should be enough room to disconnect from the pump)
12) Unbolt the water pump and remove (might have to slide it down a little to clear the heater tube)
13) Transfer the engine temp sensor, thermostat and top hose adapter to the new water pump

Reassembly in reverse order. It took me half a day at a relaxed pace.

Here is the removal process per FSM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts