Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've got a 2015 SP A8 (20k miles) and this has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks or so. Cruising about 35-45 and mash the pedal..... i do accelerate but no where near what i'm use to, very little exhaust note. I left off the pedal for a second and then mash it again and BOOM the acceleration kicks in and that exhaust is LOUD again.

Anyone run into that?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Perhaps your active exhaust flaps are sticking. You have plenty of time left on your factory warranty so I would get to the car to the dealer.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I vote for throttle position sensor problem. (I'm not a mechanic)

Question: You say the problem is when you "mash" the pedal, but do you have the same problem if you go to full throttle with a quick press and less "mash"? Either way, take it to the dealer for service under warranty.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i haven't noticed any of the traction lights pop on at all. I would say that MDS was on at the time so it might have had a problem with switching into full power mode, but it's not done that prior. :(

I do plan to take it in to the dealer for its regular maintenance here soon and i'll throw this at them. Local dealer/shop seems to be fairly decent and have yet to steer me wrong, this is my second Challenger with them.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Two questions:

(1) When you say "mash it", do you mean you floored it both times? Because if you're not going all the way to the floor, the amount that you are actually hitting the throttle can make more of a difference than you think.

(2) Is it shifting down to second gear both times? 35 to 45 MPH should initiate a downshift to second. BUT, if you were closer to the top end of that range, like maybe 45 to 50, it might pick 3rd. So is it possible that the first time you did it, you didn't mash quite fast enough for it to downshift to 2nd and you ended up in 3rd gear, but the second time, you slowed down a little to test it again and mashed it faster and it chose 2nd and therefore had faster acceleration and higher RPM?

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two questions:

(1) When you say "mash it", do you mean you floored it both times? Because if you're not going all the way to the floor, the amount that you are actually hitting the throttle can make more of a difference than you think.

(2) Is it shifting down to second gear both times? 35 to 45 MPH should initiate a downshift to second. BUT, if you were closer to the top end of that range, like maybe 45 to 50, it might pick 3rd. So is it possible that the first time you did it, you didn't mash quite fast enough for it to downshift to 2nd and you ended up in 3rd gear, but the second time, you slowed down a little to test it again and mashed it faster and it chose 2nd and therefore had faster acceleration and higher RPM?

Mike

(1) Yup i push it straight to the floor.

(2) The first time this happened i didn't notice but since i've made a point to quickly check and it seems like it only went to 4th from 6th or 7th. Once i ease up (take foot off pedal for 1 second) and then mash again it drops properly into 2nd or 3rd and off to the races i go.

So for instance i'm going 45 (7th gear), mash, get sluggish (4th gear) and up to 47-50mph, release pedal for 1 second, i'm still going 47mph (4th gear) and mash (2nd or 3rd gear) again and up to 70 (target speed).

9.5 times out of 10 if i mash it, she drops into the proper gear and i'm smiling like crazy. It's just worrisome this is starting to happen, i'm not sure if there are similarities surrounding it or not but i'm trying to keep everything the same during my drives now to see if i can find some link. So for now it's just get in and drive, no sport no turning off traction, no paddle shifting, etc...

Gotta love 1st world problems! :)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You're not getting any codes are you (CEL)? That sounds like it's not registering the proper throttle position. But it's hard to know whether it thinks the throttle isn't really mashed, or there's a problem with the transmission/TCM where the transmission just isn't dropping to the proper gear. I've not heard of this problem.

Maybe put your gauges on throttle position and drive that way for a while. Then when it does that, glance down at your throttle position on the display and see what it says. If it says 50% when you're on the floor, there's your problem. Although I'd think that would throw a code. Haven't done any work on the Challenger's TPS system but most of them have two potentiometers so if one of them disagrees with the other, it throws a code. They do that for safety reasons since throttle position is pretty important.

Mike

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Sounds kinda like the issue I described before on my SRT with manual trans. In 3rd gear - and only 3rd gear - it will fall on it's butt if you give it more than 1/2 throttle. It goes into 'no man's land' for 3 or 4 seconds then roars to life.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, the traction control doesn't work anything like on my last challenger. There isn't any tire spinning or flashing indicator that I've seen. It just feels like it is bogging down. It seems to kick in before I ever notice it spin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok so i've got a 2015 SP A8 (20k miles) and this has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks or so. Cruising about 35-45 and mash the pedal..... i do accelerate but no where near what i'm use to, very little exhaust note. I left off the pedal for a second and then mash it again and BOOM the acceleration kicks in and that exhaust is LOUD again.

Anyone run into that?
Oh my god yes! I bought my manual 6 speed 2016 scatpack with 20K miles on it in january (a little over a month) and I noticed that when I’m going 30-45 and I floor the pedal, it accelerates but the exhaust note is quiet and slow. what I also noticed was that when I slowly released my foot off the floor, it started to accelerate even faster, which alarmed me. I did it again today to check if it was still an issue, and yup it still is. Any advice on how to fix it or what is happening?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts