Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I've been working at reverse engineering the 2015 dodge challenger instrument cluster to allow it to be implanted into any vehicle. Theres one last thing that is critical to completing the project and its figuring out how mileage is updated. I was wondering if there was anyone here that knew the message requirements for it? Or was tech savy enough to capture some of the c canbus data for me? Please and thank you!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,180 Posts
I don’t have any info that would be helpful in your quest, but I will say it sounds like the answers which you seek would be difficult to ascertain.

I mean, if it was that easy to do this, odometer shenanigans in the used car market would be rampant, wouldn’t they?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not trying to change the mileage just trying to increase it. I think its specially coded to not allow decreases. But looks for a code to increase by 200ft (or some amount) since its okay for an odometer to read higher than it actually is. No value in putting miles on

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also why my interest in a clip of data from someones challenger. I dont personally own one and am unable to clip the data myself. I'm fairly confident if i had year appropriate data i could replay the data and it would increase the odometer. Assuming odo data is stored within the cluster and not in the ecu. Ive been inquiring from other groups anyone whos replaced their cluster personally and if it required a special flash to work again or if it just counted up from its current reading

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
I thought mileage is stored in both cluster and PCM?

If you check the LX forum under the master alfaOBD thread there is a guy trying to change his mileage on a charger hell cat. He stated someone with a 2015 charger was able to get the mileage changed but he has not heard word from the owner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it? Thats more info than I've managed to dig up. I think i managed to get a hold of the guy that managed it once but he never gave me any info. Dubz something i think he went by on instagram. He deleted his account unfortunately a while back.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Yeah went you get a modified PCM they ask for mileage as they write it on the PCM as well. When I was reading all the modules I was comparing all the mileages...maybe I can find the thread shortly.

Ah here it is:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Dont know if its valuable or not but I've actually programmed an arduino to simulate almost all of the ecu 😁 i see in the thread post trying to modify the ecu and local settings and stuff. I don't suppose this sort of resource would be helpful to you at all?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Maybe for guys doing resto mods but for me if I can't make it play nice with the BCM and other modules it won't do me no good. Now if you say you found a way to hack it so I can run a 2019 SRT cluster on a 2015 RT then I am your huckleberry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can be modified just fine to play nicely with other things. Its using canbus data. Its easy enough to reprogram it to do a pass through/filter setup. Allow certain messages through (like odo turn signals ect) and block other messages and replace them (car model, features ect you want turned on in the cluster)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hold up Reading this your cluster doesnt match your ECU. You're actually an example of someone I'm looking for. Does your cluster continue to increase correctly? even with incorrectly matching mileage?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,584 Posts
Hold up Reading this your cluster doesnt match your ECU. You're actually an example of someone I'm looking for. Does your cluster continue to increase correctly? even with incorrectly matching mileage?
Yes, although I never interrogated the cluster to see what information it contains.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats amazing news! It means it doesn't care what information the ecu has stored and doesnt actually require proper back and forth communication. It implies that a mileage flag is being sent telling the cluster to update. Its assumed the two will generally be paired for life so probably dont ever check each others values. It works well in my situation though. If i can reverse engineer the message being sent to the instrument cluster that instructs it to incrementally increase its odometer Im golden! I dont suppose you know anyone who has that level of canbus data? (Deeper than the obd2 bus)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Similar to yes. Challenger has atleast 2 separate busses. Obd2 and an internal one that the engine talks on along with other modules such as abs ect. The second "internal" one is the one i need data off of. Generally speaking data is captured from the navigation center (since its the easiest entry into the system). Sniffing as described on that site is a huge boon as you can see messages as they are sent and duplicate them and see what happens (roll windows down, activate windshield wipers ect) in my case i dont have access to any of that data. Ive brute forced all data that i have thus far (bright side ive found out the cluster has an air/fuel mixture gauge!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Majority of it is fairly simple in concept actually. Each message has a "frame" imagine like a tv channel. 0-10,000 i think. Each frame can have 1 to 8 bits of data (1 bit can range from 0 to 255). Sniffing is easy since you can see the "locker combination" like, frame id 1050: 20, 50, 70, 90, 110, 130, 150, 170 gets pulsed once every 30 ms. You replay all messages except that one and notice its what tells the cluster your engine is running and healthy. Or maybe the rpm or some idle service. The idea isnt terribly complex. Issue comes up there are so many combinations and some of them may or may not require another paired message. Or maybe the message needs a rising or falling number at a certain rate. Or shall no exceed a certain value. All guesses since i have no data to work with haha

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
I don’t have any info that would be helpful in your quest, but I will say it sounds like the answers which you seek would be difficult to ascertain.

I mean, if it was that easy to do this, odometer shenanigans in the used car market would be rampant, wouldn’t they?
Odometer shenanigans are actually out there.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts