Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long everyone's OEM batteries are lasting. I'm still using the original in my 2014 R/T. :|

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,410 Posts
Mine lasted 9 years.

Reactions: TorRed Jim

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts
No experience with the battery in my Hellcat, well, other than it is still good 17 months after I bought the car.

But I've had good luck with the OE batteries in other cars. Regular use. And usage that allows sufficient engine run time to recharge the battery fully to replace what it might have lost just sitting and after starting the engine. These go a long way to helping maximize battery life.

However, my experience with OEM (replacement) batteries has been mixed. Got 6 or 7 years of life out of the OE (Moll brand) battery in my Boxster. "Killed" it prematurely when I left the car parked a week with an OBD2 code reader plugged into the OBD2 port.

The OEM battery (Moll) was crap. The replacement battery was kaput in around a year or so. Turns out Moll batteries when they were made in Spain were quite good. But when manufacturing shifted to Mexico quality went downhill. Not saying this was just the shift in where the battery was made I suspect Moll made some other changes that reduced the quality of the battery.

Other replacement batteries -- Interstate for one -- have been a mixed bag. In one case a new Interstate lasted just 5 months in my Turbo with me doing everything reasonable to get good battery life. But once over an uncharacteristic rough patch with batteries both cars settled down at least in the battery department.

Don't even know which brand of battery is in my Hellcat or JCW. All I can do is treat them right and hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,734 Posts
I imagine it could vary greatly by usage and temperature extremes. California car with lows of 40's and highs of 80's as opposed to Pennsylvania car with lows of teens and highs of 100's for instance. Daily use as opposed to weekend car.

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
I have a 2013 JGC which also has the AGM battery just higher CCA and it is still going strong, but I replaced as the service life of AGMs range from 3-6 years. I now use the old battery with my backup sump system.

The battery in my 2015 challenger is still going strong as well. I just make sure the terminals are clean and throw a trickle charger on it during the winter.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts
I imagine it could vary greatly by usage and temperature extremes. California car with lows of 40's and highs of 80's as opposed to Pennsylvania car with lows of teens and highs of 100's for instance. Daily use as opposed to weekend car.

A Guy

Oh yeah. To be sure the mild weather -- especially the moderate winter temperatures -- plays a role in good battery life here in CA in the SF Bay area where I've spent with a 3 year exception the last nearly 50 years. And regular use -- at least a couple of times a week -- helps too.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I will say that here in PA, it seems like I only get about 5 years from a car battery in a modern car. I now use 5 years as my "end of life" age for car batteries.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
2014 sxt+

Still have the original Mopar battery and seems strong. I don't have any mods that would effect the electrical system either. 49K miles. B- :smile:

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,487 Posts
Also a PA guy, and agree on temp changes affecting batteries, but still get longer life than my dad in Las Vegas. You have to add water to them out there. Since they started locating batteries elsewhere instead of next to the engine, it seems that batter life has doubled. Plus todays engines start so much easier, and the electrical systems are much better keeping them charged. So yeah, 7 years is the old 4 years.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,299 Posts
the oem unit in my 15 lasted just 3 yrs. The original one in my wifes R/T is still going strong. The only difference between the two is hers is on a trickle charger most of the time, mine is not, so perhaps keeping them topped off makes them last longer. My challenger has had a series of electrical/batt issues....

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Hemi4us, what type of electrical/battery issues did you have? Just curious if you don’t mind. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
The OEM battery in my 2009 SRT lasted 6 years. I should have replaced it sooner, however. It died in a NJ State inspection garage. My car had to be pushed out of the garage onto the grass like a POS. How embarrassing! A word to the wise.

I bought a Bosch Platinum battery that has glass mat technology. It is supposed to last much longer than a standard battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Still have the original battery in my 2013 R/T. I definitely plan on getting one of those Bosch AGM batteries here before too long.

·
Registered
466 Posts
About 5 years and 85k on my OEM. I think a malfunctioning drivers side door latch hastened it's demise a little, though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just wondering how long everyone's OEM batteries are lasting. I'm still using the original in my 2014 R/T. :|
I purchased my 2016 SP in January, 2016 and the OEM battery still remains strong at 3 1/2 years!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Mine just went out....93,000 miles in Texas....2014 RT

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I actually bought a nice little battery/charging sytem tester not too long ago. Of of it's functions is to do a load test on the battery and report "good", "replace", etc. From time to time, I'll test the batteries in my cars with it. I'd rather replace it when it says "replace" than wait until the very end and be stranded somewhere. :)

It actually works quite well for the price (~$30). Also has alternator test functions, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Vehi...+cca+analyzer&qid=1562814083&s=gateway&sr=8-9

Better than simply testing the battery voltage with a multimeter since it actually load tests the battery. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts