Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have just installed a 6.1 I take manifold on my RT. Only plumbing issue I have run into is the PCV valve exits right into the OEM intake pipe mounting. Since I no longer need this bolt I was thinking of just cutting the whole piece off the casting.

Question is: has anyone done this? Don't want to mess up the water pump, but its kinking the hose from the PCV to the catch can and it seams link the only I'd be cutting off is the bolt housing.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not familiar with the 6.1 pcv valve, is it a push in or a screw in style? Buy an aftermarket pcv valve that has a 90 degree bend to it and use that? I use an aftermarket push in style pcv with a 90 degree and it works fine.

I would be very hesitant to cut off that chunk of metal...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 6.1 uses a hose with a 90deg. angle. You could buy a 90deg hose fitting? Not sure about cutting the boss off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

It's a screw in style pcv. I'll look around for a 90 degree, or I'll just put a 90 fitting on it. Catch can is working well so I don't think the kink is restricting the flow enough to make it an issue.

Thanks for the help all.

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Advance Auto Parts carries a Dorman emission hose (for Chryslers) that has a 90 degree bend on one end. It works perfectly for the PVC connection on the 6.1.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Ok now a question for you. How do you like the new Manifold? Any Performance gains? Low end torque? Mid Range Gains? Or all top end? Just curious. When you posted you had to know this was coming.. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok now a question for you. How do you like the new Manifold? Any Performance gains? Low end torque? Mid Range Gains? Or all top end? Just curious. When you posted you had to know this was coming.. :p
Well, after about 3 weeks, it's a mixed review. However, it hasn't been on the dyno yet, which is happening on 8/9, so it's not a fair review yet.

Definitely lost some low end torque, but I knew that was coming. Mid Range and Top End both feel a little better, but I also feel like i'm running a bit lean at the top now over about 3500rpm, so I haven't pushed it at all. I'll post the dyno sheets before/after the tune.

Under hood temps are a bit higher, especially in traffic, but not as bad as I thought. I have functional hood scoops, which helps a bit.

That said, every time I open the hood, (which is much more often now) the smile on my face is worth the 10ftlbs of torque I lost! The growl is a little deeper, but nothing drastic. I feel good about upgrading the valve train and doing headers now. Plus being able to port and polish it was a big plus over the OEM intake. Upgrading to a 90mm TB will be part of the valve train work, and it all feels much better with the aluminum intake on there.

Over all, I'm very pleased and I'll post an update when it's properly tuned.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts