Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searches didn't come up with an answer, but this has had to come up before.

I finally received the second Getrag 3.06 LSD differential from Speedlogix two days ago and had all the parts I needed to do the swap (UPS lost the first diff and I discovered yesterday one of the torn up axle boxes had a bolt I needed - thanks a bunch UPS).

While hooking up the driveshaft to the differential I determined the original coupler is not correct. The coupler has six metal sleeves that measure about .705" in diameter and these sleeves fit into machined pockets in both the driveshaft flange and the pinion flange on the differential. I checked both the driveshaft flange and the original differential's pinion flange and those pockets were consistent with the .705. The Getrag pinion flange has pockets machined to .865". So before the bolts are inserted, the coupler can rotate back and forth a bit relative to the pinion - not good. This puts extra shear load on the bolts and the sleeves will get hammered to death cause bolt tension cannot stop the two parts from moving relative to each other.

I have seen threads talking about using the 392 part for extra strength, but I have not been able to find anyone talking about different sleeve diameters. Anybody have any other information???

Thanks,
Lowell

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a customer review on Speedlogix site that says the 392 coupler fits the Getrag pinion flange with no play.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha, once I could search forums with a coupler part number I see quite a bit of discussion traffic.

There is alot of reference to a 68090505AA, but Speedlogix sells a 68090506AA that is labelled as the 392 coupler. Will either work? The most frequently referenced one is the *505AA number which appears in parts lists as a front application for 11-14 6.4 SRT8s. The *506AA appears as the rear application for various Dodge/Chrysler applications.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somewhat funny, but found my own answer.

A nearby Colorado dealer had the *506AA coupler in stock. The bushings measure 18mm on both faces.

I missed a *505AA coupler in Utah by 4 hours.

An Arizona dealer had the *505AA coupler. Parts man was good enough to measure the bushings for me. One side is 18mm and the other side is 22mm. So this is the one I need to interface an 09 R/T auto driveshaft to the Getrag differential. So the threads calling out the *505AA coupler were spot on. I needed to make sure this was the right one before I drop the 150.

Lowell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts