Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all ,
Slowly putting my engine back to together , just waiting for a Stretch Gauge to arrive (ARP) so I can torque up and measure stretch on those arp 8740 bolts! Question !!..... I am putting the heads back on, using OEM head bolts which came from the kit Arrington sent me
I do have torque values and the procedure but it does not say to lubricate the bolt thread and head of the bolt.
,, do they go back in dry ? I would of thought oil would have to be used if the are dry, friction sets in ?? good advice would be much appreciated I`m sure there`s guys out there have changed head bolts
Car in question 2014 SRT8 392 6.4L

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,866 Posts
Service manual does not say to apply oil. I have always chased the block threads and they applied a little engine oil to the bolt...that is what my highschool shop teacher taught us.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think you are right, I will clean and chase out thread and lightly oil the threads, strange they do not say about it !!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
Some torque specs are listed as lubricated, or unlubricated. Old school always said oil on threads, and under bolt head. You will definitely get different readings between the two methods. No instructions with the kit? Usually advising to torque in 3 segments, etc. A Guy

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
make sure you get a dial guage for your ratchet.. factory bolts are torque to yield.. if i remember right there is 2 different torque seqences. i for get the numbers but at the end it is something like a PLUS 90 degrees or PLUS 45 degrees ect.

that is why i went with arp.. little more but reusable and torque and done.. no need for the additional guages to measure with

Reactions: tony in uk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes mind was already made up bought ARP Bolts not using OEM bolts, thanks us1champ and Luke from Steve White parts
did not release you can use studs anyhow going to use the arp should be fine!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I used arp head bolts and no issues at all in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts