Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 SRT Challenger with a strange issue. My remote start is intermittent depending on the direction I walk towards the car. If coming at it from the front, it does not seem to get the signal to start, but if I come at it from the rear, it starts right up.

So I wonder if it's an issue with the remote batteries...anyone else with something similar? Where is the receiver unit on the car?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
My remote start seems to work ok but sometimes, not often, when I try to set the alarm, it can take a few button pushes to get it to set. And in order to set it, I have to aim the remote in the direction of the dash where the VIN tag and gage cluster is located. Unlocking the car, no problems. Trunk release, no problems. It's funny too as my Magnum SRT and Ram SRT did the same thing...

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
I was taught by an installer if you're a distance away from the vehicle, hold the remote to the vein on the side of your neck and press the button as it considerably extends the range of the transmitter. I can walk out of the mall press the button and see no lights flash, hold it to my neck and the truck responds. Your body acts as the antenna.
As you said it may need batteries and some items eat batteries faster than others.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Just replace the fob battery before you do anything else.
Also if you have any aftermarket electronics in the car, it can affect or even totally swamp the remote signal. Items such as: Trinity tuner, cell phone charger, cigar lighter to USB adapter, aftermarket HIDs, etc.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: I've found that the direction I approach the car in the parking lot makes a difference. If I approach the front of the car, I get much better results vs. coming at it from the rear.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the issue seems intermittent...some days it will start fine from the door leading to our parking lot. Other days it won't start until I'm standing in front of the car.

I've replaced my batteries, and tried the other FOB.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sounds more like the batt or a key fob about to fail. If you have a new batt in there, make sure you have the lil prong on the inside touching the batt. If all that is done and well. You may just need a new fob.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I was taught by an installer if you're a distance away from the vehicle, hold the remote to the vein on the side of your neck and press the button as it considerably extends the range of the transmitter. I can walk out of the mall press the button and see no lights flash, hold it to my neck and the truck responds. Your body acts as the antenna.
As you said it may need batteries and some items eat batteries faster than others.
I love it! True.

Always just odd how the voltage is higher around the neck vein ;)

Also just some info:
I have seen the door handle for the passive entry being the problem, but rare.
More info: May not be related to your concern however.
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Vehicle Will Shut Off After A Remote Start Attempt
Discussion:
Remote start equipped vehicles, sales code XBM, may remote start and then shut off for the following
reasons.
Low fuel lamp on or at fuel level of telltale lamp on.
Low Voltage below 11 V
High Voltage above 16 V
Key in Ignition
Doors or hood are opened before remote unlock
Hazard Switch depressed
Panic or theft alarm active
Brake applied
A prior remote start cranked the engine , but failed to start the engine
Battery voltage NOT in the normal range
High (run away) or Low Idle (stall) RPM
MIL Active
High Engine Coolant Temperature
Low Engine Oil Pressure
Remote start allows a maximum of two starts per ignition off cycle; cycling the ignition resets
------------------------
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
RKE, Remote Keyless Entry, Range Short, FOBik Operates Intermittently
Discussion:
Some early reports indicate short range operation from the RKE FOBik, operation intermittent at
times.
Repair Procedure:
Verify the RKE FOBik batteries are not weak. If batteries and FOBik test ok, replace the WIN module
as needed, FOBiks are not required. Validation of the condition required to ensure proper repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts