Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

Any idea on what are the OEM widebody fenders dimensions.. I wanna buy the proper wheels spacers

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Not sure how you'd measure that, but the flares add 3.5 inches to the overall width

A Guy

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
137 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the flares add a hair under 2" of coverage per side

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you not installing a wider wheel? Just trying to space your stock wheels so the face is flush with flares?

Seems like the scrub radius would be terrible...

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
The Widebody wheels are 20x11 with a -2.50 mm offset, why don't you just get the proper wheels and forget the spacers?

And the fenders must also be cut to do this mod correctly so it will be quite involved and costly.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you not installing a wider wheel? Just trying to space your stock wheels so the face is flush with flares?

Seems like the scrub radius would be terrible...

View attachment 996936
Yes I wanna use spacers... can you explain the diagram in your message?

Thx
The Widebody wheels are 20x11 with a -2.50 mm offset, why don't you just get the proper wheels and forget the spacers?

And the fenders must also be cut to do this mod correctly so it will be quite involved and costly.

My car is Challenger RT Plus 2016 normal body.. I already bought a widebody kit similar to OEM widebody.

So what are the right wheels sizes that I can use after installing the widebody?

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
So what are the right wheels sizes that I can use after installing the widebody?
Like I said, the factory Widebody cars use 20x11 wheels with a -2.50 mm offset so imho these are the wheels to use and no spacers will be needed. Those cars also use 305 wide tires which if you try to use your current wheels won't fit right, so you're gonna need the bigger wheels. This assumes your flares are similar to the factory ones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can you explain the diagram in your message?
If you move the centerline of your front tires too far from the stock position (relative to other suspension components) you will negatively effect steering/handing and put more stress on your wheel bearings.

I've felt the "darty steering" with as little as a 10mm change on smaller platforms. The big Challenger platform can probably put up with more than 10mm... but not 3 whole inches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said, the factory Widebody cars use 20x11 wheels with a -2.50 mm offset so imho these are the wheels to use and no spacers will be needed. Those cars also use 305 wide tires which if you try to use your current wheels won't fit right, so you're gonna need the bigger wheels. This assumes your flares are similar to the factory ones.

Thx.. what about the front wheels.. I dont the 20x11 will fit.. what do you think?

If you move the centerline of your front tires too far from the stock position (relative to other suspension components) you will negatively effect steering/handing and put more stress on your wheel bearings.

I've felt the "darty steering" with as little as a 10mm change on smaller platforms. The big Challenger platform can probably put up with more than 10mm... but not 3 whole inches.
Thx

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
Thx.. what about the front wheels.. I dont the 20x11 will fit.. what do you think?
No they won't, not without drastic modifications (cutting) of the fenders, that's the whole point of the Widebody. You said you already bought a Widebody kit similar to OEM so I am assuming you will have to cut the fenders like Dodge did to make the proper wheels and tires fit. If you run big flares but keep the small wheels and tires because you do not want to cut the fenders then it just won't look right.

How about posting some info on your kit.

The pic below shows how the Widebody wheels and tires look on a car without the flares to show you how much they will stick out and shows the amount the fenders have been cut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi

Any idea on what are the OEM widebody fenders dimensions.. I wanna buy the proper wheels spacers
Don't buy spacers one a spacer takes up some of your lug therefore if you want the full strength of the lug and the bolt on it you'll have to buy longer lugs.

Two I spent almost $5,000 changing rims and tires to find out the correct dimensions. That was five sets of different tires and rims.

A 16 positive offset for the rim with a 6.21 backspace means that you got a 10 inch wide rim, capable of carrying a 315 tire in the 30 series which gives you at least a 4-in sidewall and that means good traction.

now if you really want to get close and might have to trim a little bit of the fender well the plastic stuff an 18mm positive offset with a backspace of4.75? I can't remember exact millimeters right now. The backspace gives you about a half of an inch clearance from the frame of the car to a 315 mm wide tire which is basically 13 in wide you got to be wide if you want to go fast and get traction on corners and turns.

For the front you want a 15 mm positive offset the backspace is probably 5.50 I think I might be wrong on the backspace but it works you're using a 9 1/2 in wide rim and you're running size 275 tires 300 series or 400 series with some of them are close to 11 in wide.

Right now I'm running wide body red eye mags front and rear The front is nine and a half The rear is 11 inches wide I've got a 315 truck tire on it one the best tires I've ever had in my life with 12 10ths-in deep tread.
my only complaint is I can't fishtail around the corner anymore my traction is too good.

EFFECTS.jpg
20200311_171503.jpg

what you are looking at is a 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 with aftermarket wide body wheels 11-in wide on the rear 9.5 wide on the front backspace on the front is 5.5 the offset is 15 mm and that's a positive offset The rear is 18 mm positive offset and the backspace on the backside I think is 475 4.75?

OEM reproductions can sell you a chrome wide body wheel that's 10 and 1/2 in wide in the rear and fit right in your fender well for $240 The stuff is on sale because of the pandemic

I did remove approximately six to eight inches of inside fender well to clear the inside of the 315 tire since it's 13-in wide,and this is only because of the shock geometry when the wheel comes up on a bump when the shock compresses the wheel gets tucked closer to the frame when the wheel is farther away from the decompression the wheel is it's furthest from the frame.I didn't cut any fenders I just got my measurements right found the right company paid the money had the tires installed balanced and I guess well I've been blessed

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
OK, I appreciate your post but all of my comments in this thread are in regards to the use of the OEM style Widebody flares, ie: making a factory Widebody lookalike. Using narrow body offsets with those Widebody flares is just not gonna look right with the wheels tucked in and those big flares hanging out in the wind.

Your car looks good and I know a lot of Hellcat guys also run 11's in the rear.

So it just boils down to what the OP wants to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes I wanna use spacers... can you explain the diagram in your message?

Thx

My car is Challenger RT Plus 2016 normal body.. I already bought a widebody kit similar to OEM widebody.

I put a 10-in wide wheel 20x10 and a 305 tire on the front and the car was so hard to keep going straight it was unbelievable plus I turned the corner going fast and I wanted to stop real quick and a normal size tire would have slid the 305 didn't slide it grabbed the street with traction and through the wheel out of a line The traction created by the 305 was stronger than the torque of the boat that holds the wheels in line I had to get a new four-wheel alignment after that.

there are different millimeter offsets for those extra wide 20x11 wheels designed for wide body I would not have gotten the 2.5 mm and it's probably a negative offset?

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
there are different millimeter offsets for those extra wide 20x11 wheels designed for wide body I would not have gotten the 2.5 mm and it's probably a negative offset?
Yes the OEM Widebody wheel is a negative 2.5 mm.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I added three whole inches to the rear wheels and I put 305s on the front wheels it worked great except that roads are not perfect on every uneven inch of road or street the car would move by itself two to three inches left and right as I went down the street I don't want a car that drives itself especially from the rear.

there was just one more thing about the 305 on the front of my 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 I had a 10-in wide rim the tire just barely touched the A-frame or the ball joint that sits over the tread did not touch it enough to bust the tire but I don't want to be driving around with my size 305 tire rubbing on the ball joint

No they won't, not without drastic modifications (cutting) of the fenders, that's the whole point of the Widebody. You said you already bought a Widebody kit similar to OEM so I am assuming you will have to cut the fenders like Dodge did to make the proper wheels and tires fit. If you run big flares but keep the small wheels and tires because you do not want to cut the fenders then it just won't look right.

How about posting some info on your kit.

The pic below shows how the Widebody wheels and tires look on a car without the flares to show you how much they will stick out and shows the amount the fenders have been cut.

20x11 wide body rear wheel 18 positive offset 4.75 backspace no spacers 6 to 8 in of plastic fender well cut out.

And "Wala"

20200320_144544.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, on my 2020 challenger rt I measure 4" on front & 2" on rear .I did that by sighting down with tape @ 90 deg.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I believe the flares are equal, but only from pictures, and you actually have one ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
137 Posts
Although not 100% OEM, the aftermarket ones I have (which are based on OEM) are roughly 1.75" each of coverage, and I do plan on running OEM widebody wheels, (315/40/R18) and they should not rub at my stock SRT8 ride height.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts