Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching the threads about the new RT 392, TA, Daytona and Demon, the amount of people getting ready to trade in/up (some with newer cars less than a year old) is amazing. people are ready to trade in to get the next new exciting thing.
I was wondering how many of you are perfectly happy with what you have right now and have no interest in trading for the next new name, decal package or horse power when they are announced or released. .
I myself being one of those that look forward to seeing the new packages being released but have no interest in trading in/up for one.
I think it's great if you have the $$$ to trade for the next new toy and look forward to seeing you (or at least your tail lights) all on the road.
A New Cuda Clone may change MY mind about trading

·
Registered
295 Posts
Watching the threads about the new RT 392, TA, Daytona and Demon, the amount of people getting ready to trade in/up (some with newer cars less than a year old) is amazing. people are ready to trade in to get the next new exciting thing.
I was wondering how many of you are perfectly happy with what you have right now and have no interest in trading for the next new name, decal package or horse power when they are announced or released. .
I myself being one of those that look forward to seeing the new packages being released but have no interest in trading in/up for one.
I think it's great if you have the $$$ to trade for the next new toy and look forward to seeing you (or at least your tail lights) all on the road.
I am with you! Nearing retirement I was thinking of upgrading but not anymore. I just put on some replica
Hellcat wheels and I am happy with my car.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Only trade up I'd be doing is for a used Hellcat in couple years when they drop some more. My 2012 YJ is nice but I want more power and the new tech is getting my interest.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
The Demon isn't out yet and you can bet Dodge is already planning on the next Challenger that will one up it. Maybe it will have the same HP and drivetrain, but it ill be downsized so the power to weight ratio will be higher. I plan on retiring as well, so I'd rather drop that kind of money into something that appreciates, not depreciates!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My friend just bought a 2016 hellcat and is kicking himself about this Demon news.
Dodge will give you 2 coats of paint with future rust but they will lurk you back in like a drug dealer.
And we love it.

·
Super Moderator
12,882 Posts
My car is my lifetime car. Unless something happens to it beyond my control, I'll be the old guy, with the old car posting here :D

A Guy

·
Registered
863 Posts
I bought my car new and have taken crazy good care of it. I broke it in properly and have made some upgrades to my liking to it. It has WAY more power than I need and rides like a dream. I will do a few more mods here and there, but this is it. This is my baby and I am keeping it. I may buy a beater some where down the road, but this is my pride and joy. I too will share in others joy that do buy those top tier cars, but since you will never be the fastest, I will watch you all fly by me, as I play some Steely Dan, "Who's the Gaucho now"!
Peace!
Tom.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Exactly why I lease! In three years I am ready for the next thing. I must say though, this is the first car that I would consider getting the same model (but a Scat Pack or T/A this time!) instead of something completely different.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought mine in feb of 2012. Had The Beach Boys autograph my glove box during their 50th anniversary tour in '12. I had Sha Na Na autograph a second glove box in '13. Scott Simon from SNN is a has even ridden in my car. Now someday I might get a used HC or Demon down the road but I have too much sentimental value in my car to get rid of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agreed...More power to those who do! I want a bit more power (Challenger RT). I just keep reminding myself that a SC is less than a new car... I'd rather drop 8-10k on Supercharger, than being the hook for 40k.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I had my 2010 R/T for 5 years. Used as a daily driver and track car, even won some car show awards. I loved that thing, despite it's shortcomings. It was my baby and I spent quite a bit of money on it, making it into the car I wanted it to be. I gave it SRT suspension, Mopar sway bars, oil cooler, WRT lightweight wheels, and other things. After a while I kinda realized that it would just be easier to get a Scat Pack 392, which has all that stuff plus the 392 engine, more power, Brembos and the newer interior. That's exactly what I did. I got my '16 Scat Pack in August.

I don't want to say I regret it, as the trade-up bug was nagging at me for a long time. I resisted it a few times, but I figured the only way to get it to go away would be to just do it. As nice as the new car is, it's not lightyears ahead of my '10 was, as I expected based on reviews and opinions online. It certainly isn't perfect, and it has it's own set of shortcomings. I've had a hard time really falling in love with it, and I've even considered selling it. The problem is, the depreciation would kick me so hard it's not worth it. I can't just have my '10 back anyway (It went to a guy I know, who loves it and takes great care of it, which I am thankful for). It's too late now, but at least I learned something. I certainly won't be trading up again, as it just becomes an expensive spiral of debt. I'm hoping with more time with my '16 I'll get to like it more.

If you love what you have, keep it.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Not trading in....

I have a SP Shaker that I can't replace since the '17+ dropped the all leather interior and have the rarer Torred over Black/Ruby leather and ordered the way I wanted it.

I'm closer to point of aggressively setting aside retirement funds, replacing a roof in near future. No more cars to buy-

I don't drive to get to work, so no sense in spending more $$$$ on what sits parked.

Plus I just had a slip/fall on ice walking at beginning of week, dislocated elbow and fracture - so I can't drive my SPS, since its 'stick...

Thankfully my other car is 'auto, so I can still get around

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Not trading in....

Plus I just had a slip/fall on ice walking at beginning of week, dislocated elbow and fracture - so I can't drive my SPS, since its 'stick...

Thankfully my other car is 'auto, so I can still get around
Ouch! That sounds really painful. Hope your recovery is a quick one.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It is very tempting to buy the new and improved, but I have my own rule of paying them off and driving them until I can say I got my money's worth.The hit you take on trade in is not financially prudent.Plus I still love my car and I just can't let her go

.Who knows ,I bought the two muscle cars for 1500 each 35 + years ago,one as daily driver,and you know how that worked out.
The old truck I bought in 94 is now my daily beater,and now my wife uses the Daytona as her daily duty after she drove the PT back into the earth...Becoming depth free has allowed me to take early retirement.

But dang I would like a HellCat,but then I would have to go back to work!!..Or sell 2 or 3 of my other cars,but who can sell your loved ones!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The idea of picking up a used 2015/2016 A8 Hellcat is tempting in a couple years when they drop into the $40K range. But I'll likely just pay off my Scat Pack early and keep it. It has more than enough power, it's fun at the dragstrip, fun on the street, looks cool, rides great, has newer technology, stops awesome, and I can fit my whole family in it. I'll probably just keep it and once it's paid off start shoving those funds into retirement and other stuff.

I loved my old R/T but I wanted to go just a bit faster. Stepping up to the Scat Pack wasn't a huge step financially but it was a big step in power and stuff. Jumping up to a Hellcat from a Scat Pack is a pretty huge step financially. I can see why people buy them, but for me that step is a bit too much. Scat Pack is here to stay for me.

But I'll definitely be watching out for that new Demon, that thing sounds like it'll be wicked!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts