Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone - i'm happy to say my wife and I will be having our first in July, a little boy :banana:

So I have Mopar lowering springs, front and rear braces, tension arms and whiteline bushings. The car is nice and tight which I love.

I absolutely want to keep the current lowered height I have my car at, but was curious how much I can get the ride to improve going with a decent set of coilovers. the car realistically won't be raced other than the occasional drag strip. it's a little bouncy on bumps as is and i'm wondering if coilovers would smooth out the ride significantly, without giving much to body roll. i'm fine with it rolling a bit in favor of a smoother ride, but just curious if i'm asking to have it "both ways" and not being realistic.

can i expect a set of decent coilovers to last a long time as well? my springs are also starting to get a little squeaky, is that an issue with coilovers?

strongly considering this to be my next upgrade, along with a better axle since mine is leaking grease and i'm under the impression it will fail sometime in the year or so.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Proper coilovers will always be better than lowering springs on OE struts, as far as ride quality. The dampening adjustments are where its at.

Spend once and spend wisely. Don't be lured in by the promise of ST coilovers (no dampening and will rust)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
On a related subject. Put a folded blanket or a small pillow under the car-seat, so that whey you anchor it down, the plastic base of the car-seat won't leave marks in your leather. It will also catch the assorted random fluids and periodically escape from the small human in the seat.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Congrats on becoming a father! It's the coolest thing ever!

No advice on the coilovers, but definitely put a folded towel under the car seat before mounting it. It's amazing how much a little person can trash a back seat! The towel will protect the seat fabric from stains and from getting all dented up from the car seat base.

I had two car seats in the back of my car for a while, no issues at all, loved taking the kids around in the Challenger! Now I just have booster seats back there as they've grown.

Good luck man!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Well congratulations on the new arrival!!! Hopefully the first of many.

May God hold all of you in the smooth palm of His hand.

Reactions: jerrychrist

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Proper coilovers will always be better than lowering springs on OE struts, as far as ride quality. The dampening adjustments are where its at.

Spend once and spend wisely. Don't be lured in by the promise of ST coilovers (no dampening and will rust)
Yes, i certainly don't want to cheap out on the coilovers. I don't think i need to go all the way with JRI ones that Luke at Steve White is selling since those are for serious racers. Have one that you recommend?

And thanks for the idea to put towels/pillows under the seat attachment thing! My car def won't be the primary vehicle, but i hope rowing through some gears can help the little one get to sleep.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don't go to low and you'll be ok. I have no gap and run on 24 clicks from soft on front and 22 click on rear with BC Coilovers; my 80 year old grandma didn't complain haha.

Reactions: jerrychrist

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I should say i'm considering the A2speed true coilovers, or if not those, that would be about the top of my budget for these @ ~$2500.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,672 Posts
Congratulations! A boy you say? Don't change anything...in a few years he'll be jumping off the roof with a blanket for a parachute anyway >:)

A Guy

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations! A boy you say? Don't change anything...in a few years he'll be jumping off the roof with a blanket for a parachute anyway >:)

A Guy
Good thing our house is one story, hopefully enough to keep Darwin away!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,140 Posts

Congratulations on your newest addition! :cheers:

The above is good advice!

Maybe ask about progressive springs for coil overs that you're interested in. A progressive spring is one that has the top few inches of the spring wound at a looser rate(or rates) than the bottom. What this does is allows the spring to be "softer and more compliant" during regular driving, but once you start leaning on things, it firms up.

The advice above for adjusting rebound and compression (dampening) is good too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts