Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MOPAR mavens,

Got under my "new to me" 2010 SRT last night.

No belly pan.

I live in Florida and only take the car out for fun stuff. No rain, snow, sleet, or off roading.

Is the belly pan necessary? Possibly to direct air for cooling?

I would rather leave it off but if I need to I can go to my local dealer and order one (I believe its 2 pieces?)

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hello fellow Mopar Mavens,

Got under my "new to me" 2010 SRT last night.

No belly pan.

I live in Florida and only take the car out for fun stuff. No rain, snow, sleet, or off roading.

Is the belly pan necessary? Possibly to direct air for cooling?

I would rather leave it off but if I need to I can go to my local dealer and order one (I believe its 2 pieces?)

Thanks for your time,

Varooom
You won't die if you go commando, but it only takes one mishap and your pants are ruined.

Don't mishap your engine bay.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
Won't hurt it and probably run cooler but might get a little more dirty, SRT in track prep says to remove belly pan before going to track.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My previous cars (Porsche Boxster, Porscher 996 Turbo) both had full belly pans.

Full paneling under the car smooths the air flow under the car and protects the car from damage. There are a lot of lines/hoses under the car. This is not to be dismissed. My Boxster encountered a chunk of concrete that bounced up and hit (and damaged) a converter. Bad enough it hit the converter.

My Turbo had something hit the underside of the car hard enough to put a fist sized hole in the plastic panel along the driver's side rocker area.

My advice would be to get the belly pan and install it and bring the car back to the condition at least in this area like it left the factory.

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I look at it this way - the designed they and put them on there for a reason...

If there wasn't a purpose, they wouldn't spend the materials and labor to install them on the cars.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
495 Posts
I'd check the salvage yards for a belly pan.

Not only does the belly pan protect the hoses .... it provides aerodynamics to help with fuel mileage

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not only does it protect the motor from road debris, it keeps the underside dry(er) in the rain and when you run through a touchless car-wash. There's at least a couple threads around here about guys who ran their car through the car-wash without a belly pan and had some sensor and/or funny noise issues afterwards.

FYI, they're under $70 on EBAY,

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
Like everyone has said, buy a new belly pan. It serves several useful functions.

It's like wearing underwear. Not necessary, but highly advisable.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,056 Posts
I have your belly pan here with me. Don't worry, it is safe...for now.

Go to the bank and get $268 in new, unmarked pennies and take them home and roll them up using standard sized penny rolls (50 to a roll).

Put the pennies (rolled!) in a box and tape it shut. Then go to the local Post Office and ship that box to me via their 2-day shipping option, but this is very important - DECLINE ANY EXTRA INSURANCE COVERAGE ON THE PACKAGE!! (seriously, I cannot stress that last item enough).

If I get that box with $268 in rolled pennies by Saturday afternoon, you will get your belly pan back. If I do not have $268 in rolled pennies in a box here with me by Saturday afternoon @5 CDT, something very bad is going to happen to your belly pan.

I don't want to go into details for fear of it possibly being used against me later in a court of law, but I can say this: My BBQ/Fire Pit/Smoker needs a new ash catcher to catch all the hot coals and such that drop through the bottom, and your belly pan just happens to be the right size and shape to perform such a job...if it were ever pressed into service in such a capacity. >:)

You have until sundown on the 21st of March to respond that you agree to these terms. After that, well, let's just say waiting any longer would be playing with fire...

BOO-A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(get it? playing with fire? catching hot coals?? coals are hot, cause they come from the fire???)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is definitely no lack of entertainment on this site!

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be getting a pan.

Thanks again,

Varooom

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have your belly pan here with me. Don't worry, it is safe...for now.

Go to the bank and get $268 in new, unmarked pennies and take them home and roll them up using standard sized penny rolls (50 to a roll).

Put the pennies (rolled!) in a box and tape it shut. Then go to the local Post Office and ship that box to me via their 2-day shipping option, but this is very important - DECLINE ANY EXTRA INSURANCE COVERAGE ON THE PACKAGE!! (seriously, I cannot stress that last item enough).

If I get that box with $268 in rolled pennies by Saturday afternoon, you will get your belly pan back. If I do not have $268 in rolled pennies in a box here with me by Saturday afternoon @5 CDT, something very bad is going to happen to your belly pan.

I don't want to go into details for fear of it possibly being used against me later in a court of law, but I can say this: My BBQ/Fire Pit/Smoker needs a new ash catcher to catch all the hot coals and such that drop through the bottom, and your belly pan just happens to be the right size and shape to perform such a job...if it were ever pressed into service in such a capacity. >:)

You have until sundown on the 21st of March to respond that you agree to these terms. After that, well, let's just say waiting any longer would be playing with fire...

BOO-A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(get it? playing with fire? catching hot coals?? coals are hot, cause they come from the fire???)
Nuke needs to share some of his stash with the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
There is definitely no lack of entertainment on this site!

Thanks for all your replies.

I will be getting a pan.

Thanks again,

Varooom
I admire the ruthlessness with which you negotiate, it is a valuable asset in trying times I'm sure.

Okay, so no-go on the $268...what about this, and THIS is my final offer:
- a bottle of Glenn Fiddich scotch (the one that's been aged 18 years)
- ten cans of Beef Jerky Snuff, with 5 being the regular flavor and 5 being Teriyaki flavor
- a 3-pak of condoms (Trojan, Magnum...no wait, make that SUPER Magnums!)

You now have until sundown to agree to those terms or the belly pan gets it...

WAIT, WAIT!!!

I get the feeling you may not agree to those either, so here's my one and only FINAL, final offer:
- a roll of duct tape
- a large shovel
- a saw...a big one...one that could cut through bone like butter.!

Sundown, belly dancer, yada yada yada...you get the picture.

Regards,
Nuke, errr, I mean NOT Nuke, err @A Guy!

Yes, that's right, my name is @A Guy, now send me my stuff and I will send you what's left of your belly pan!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I admire the ruthlessness with which you negotiate, it is a valuable asset in trying times I'm sure.

Okay, so no-go on the $268...what about this, and THIS is my final offer:

- a bottle of Glenn Fiddich scotch (the one that's been aged 18 years)

- ten cans of Beef Jerky Snuff, with 5 being the regular flavor and 5 being Teriyaki flavor

- a 3-pak of condoms (Trojan, Magnum...no wait, make that SUPER Magnums!)

You now have until sundown to agree to those terms or the belly pan gets it...

WAIT, WAIT!!!

I get the feeling you may not agree to those either, so here's my one and only FINAL, final offer:

- a roll of duct tape

- a large shovel

- a saw...a big one...one that could cut through bone like butter.!

Sundown, belly dancer, yada yada yada...you get the picture.

Regards,

Nuke, errr, I mean NOT Nuke, err @A Guy!

Yes, that's right, my name is @A Guy, now send me my stuff and I will send you what's left of your belly pan!!

Definitely something wrong with you.
Al.
I mean, @A Guy. (I’m up real early today, and when I read this, err, I mean , RE-read this, I’ll probably chime in with more.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Definitely something wrong with you.
Al.
I mean, @A Guy. (I’m up real early today, and when I read this, err, I mean , RE-read this, I’ll probably chime in with more.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sound like my therapist - quick to point out the obvious but conveniently silent when I ask what will fix me.

Therapist...pshhh, yeah right! He hasn’t come up with one single thing yet to help me make sense of this box of coat hangers inside my head!

He’s like a broken record every time i go see him…

“Why are you here again, Nuke”

“Please stop coming here, Nuke”

“I’m no longer under a court order to treat you, Nuke!”

“Please don’t hurt me, Nuke”

Blah, blah, blah...you know how shrinks are, always screaming for help and crying about seeing their families’ one last time. You’d think he would be a little nicer to me, especially since he keeps moving to a different city and forcing me to go find where he lives now.

Some people are just selfish to the core, not much we can do to change them unfortunately...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm pulling mine. Dodge says pull it for a track day for better cooling. It's there for a lower CD number but cars have been running without belly pans for 100 years. I don't drive in rain or snow, that might change my mind but I've removed them on other cars without any issues. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I'm pulling mine. Dodge says pull it for a track day for better cooling. It's there for a lower CD number but cars have been running without belly pans for 100 years. I don't drive in rain or snow, that might change my mind but I've removed them on other cars without any issues. YMMV.
Doesn't speak too highly of Dodge engineers that an aerodynamic aid interferes with cooling. I will never track my Hellcat but I drive it in stop and go and see the oil temp climb to 220F and higher and this in 60F ambient temperatures. One can only wonder what the oil temperature will climb to when I drive the car in the same way only with ambient temperature at 100F or higher.

Maybe I should remove the belly pan for better cooling in town driving?

·
Registered
188 Posts
....Maybe I should remove the belly pan for better cooling in town driving?
The big hood vents on the Hellcat are telling you the car needs as much cooling as it can get. Turbulent air under the car will help cooling and put more air on the motor and trans. The exception would be ducted cooling which the Dodges don't have (except the headlight inlet).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts