Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as i was doing something absolutely unnecessary to my challenger, cant say for sure but i think karma struck. I was adding an additional larger ground from the engine to the frame. I was using an existing threaded hole in the block right above the alternator and a cmall washer fell off the bolt and fell down inside of alternator in-between the black plastic cap on back of alternator and the main piece of the alternator. Tried to get it and it fell causing a spark or two . now whenever i move the plastic cover i get sparks. Any suggestions on my next step???

·
Registered
88 Posts
So as i was doing something absolutely unnecessary to my challenger, cant say for sure but i think karma struck. I was adding an additional larger ground from the engine to the frame. I was using an existing threaded hole in the block right above the alternator and a cmall washer fell off the bolt and fell down inside of alternator in-between the black plastic cap on back of alternator and the main piece of the alternator. Tried to get it and it fell causing a spark or two . now whenever i move the plastic cover i get sparks. Any suggestions on my next step???
Disconnect the battery....

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
seriously, if you cannot figure out the very next step..as in immediately, is to disconnect the batt, you probably should not be under the hood, seeking to, for whatever reason to " add a larger ground to the engine block" in the 1st place.
jus sayn.
As for getting the washer out..you could try a small telescoping magnet provided the washer visable, but alternators have very strong magnetized components inside them, so its probable the washer most likely got drawn to one and no amount of shaking it will dislodge it.

Remove the alt. put it in a cardboard box and use hi PSI compressed air to blow it out. The box is used to 'catch' the washer, so that you know its actually come out or not.. otherwise you could spend the next two hours with an air hose not knowing if its came out & flew away or not..
failing that, you'll need to crack it open.
Note: check the applicable fuses, arcing from contacting a positive field, probably snapped a fuse or two. hopefully anyway.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yup, before touching ANYTHING electrical the first step is always do disconnect the negative black terminal on the battery.

As others said, after doing that, a telescoping magnet if you can get one down in there. But NOTHING you are also going to drop and lose a handle on.

Here's an engine bay trick. ALWAYS cover open holes in the engine with a rag or cover of some sort when working in there. This prevents debris or loose parts from falling in the oil cap hole, the radiator cap hole, if the caps are off, or the alternator, etc. Just remember to look around the engine when you're done and remove all this and replace caps.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,429 Posts
I will stop short of recommending this approach for anyone else, but here is how I’d handle that scenario if it were my car:

1) disconnect the positive battery cable; wrap it in a rag and set aside.

2) remove the serpentine belt from around the alternator pulley

3) manually spin the alternator by grasping the pulley with my hand and turning it around and around…in both directions.

4a) if no extra noises could be heard while spinning it by hand (no grinding, clicking, etc.), I’d put the belt back around the pulley, reconnect the battery, and go on about my rat killing.

4b) if extra noises could be heard (grinding, clicking, etc), then I would pull alternator out of engine bay and do my best to extract the washer from inside the alternator housing before reinstalling, hooking it all back up, and going on about my rat killing.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Disconnect the battery, open the car door open for about 10 minutes, check all fuses under the hood and in the trunk, replace as necessary buy a new alternator and replace it. You do not know if any of the windings arced and got "welded". I would not start the car with that alternator on it.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Just wondering. What did you expect to gain with the new, larger ground wire? 10 - 20 hp? LOL.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Just wondering. What did you expect to gain with the new, larger ground wire? 10 - 20 hp? LOL.
It's a common myth amongst ricers that the factory does a less than satisfactory job grounding the engines to the bodies and a larger 0 gauge wire helps the coil packs and other engine mounted electronics a better and more constant electrical current.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts