Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Challenger RT Classic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run any kind of oil additive in their 5.7 Hemi? I run this in a 3.6 Grand Cherokee and SBC with good results.

·
Premium Member
2,922 Posts
This reminds me of putting Slick50 in my crankcase back in the late 70's. Back then, there was some really crappy oil that would cause sludge. That isn't an issue today.

Those claims on the right side of the package, I'm not buying.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger RT Classic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This reminds me of putting Slick50 in my crankcase back in the late 70's. Back then, there was some really crappy oil that would cause sludge. That isn't an issue today.

I used Slick 50 in the 80's myself. Never could tell if it did a damn thing. I performed a very unscientific "test" with the FR3 to see if there was any difference in treated vs untreated oil. I had to make the same trip for work 2 days in a row. The first day the oil was untreated. The second day I had changed the oil and added FR3. The 2 days were similar in temperature, humidity, wind direction and speed. The trip was approx 175 miles. I ran the cruise at the same speed on the interstate both days. I monitored the oil temperature on the computer and checked the mileage each day. The oil ran 6-8 degrees cooler and the mileage went from 19.6 to 20.5 with the treated oil. Not saying that is proof it works, but that does line up with their mileage claim.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
420 Posts
This reminds me of putting Slick50 in my crankcase back in the late 70's.
:ROFLMAO: Slick 50...dude, you knocked me back in time about 30 years with that.

Well played 🤘

I am also a hard "no" on engine additives. It's unbelievable how much better oil is now compared to even 20 years ago. If it's not for some kind of extreme duty (hot/cold/24/7) application, you can't go wrong with what the factory recommends. Especially with our cars.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,313 Posts
Running a good FULL syn is a UPGRADE and with the SRT filter.

The Oil I run has moly in it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My owners manual says NO OIL ADDITIVES. I might be inclined to ignore that and add a shot of moly if I were to use an oil that has low moly content, since the PUP 0w40 - MS12633 seems to have a big dose of moly in it.

Other than that no. Not a more current car like these that have presumably or almost certainly had frequent synthetic changes.

However in an older used car acquired, with no good info on oils used (quite likely longer OCIs and conventional oils), an engine cleaner and additive might be advisable. I've had good results in the one or two cars I've done that with. I used some motor medic in two vehicles and short oil change intervals and the oil drained was remarkably dark like dark chocolate color. I'm optimistic that is getting extra grime out of the engine. So far so good.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,982 Posts

It wasn't the oil it was the lousy almost non existent proper crankcase ventilation system. This allowed water and even unburned gasoline (and for a while leaded gasoline was still in use) to build up and contribute to sludge formation.

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack
171 Posts
One day people are going to realize there is no such thing as a mechanic in a bottle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts