Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have heard alot about using a an oil catch can? and it being alot better for the engine? Is there a certain hp or model that it is used on?
Thanks for any info with this matter.
Chris.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In have one on my Scat Pack and empty it every 3,000 miles. Average about 4 oz of sludge which would have went back into the engine. Easy install on 5.7 and 6.4. Not sure about the supercharged 6.2. Should work on any model.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Absolutely get one...have had one on my 2013 R/T for a couple of years now...

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,181 Posts
Put a JLT on at 500 miles and never looked back...…………...

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
BT with the "Z" bracket on my 392.

41857.jpg

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, il be getting one soon!!
Keep in mind that if your 5.7 is totally stock under the hood, you're most likely going to need an air inlet duct for a Charger that doesn't have the additional chamber to the left of the tube. That's where the catch can mounts. So that adds at least $100 to the cost of installing a catch can unless you can find a used one of course.

I think this is the part you need: https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-air-inlet-duct-4861940ac/?c=YT1kb2RnZQ==

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
BT can on a 5.7 with a Charger tube:

13674.jpg

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I found a Charger airbox top really cheap on sale on (I think) this forum back in '10. I ended up putting an SRT bottom on too, and I know I bought it from someone on this forum.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have heard alot about using a an oil catch can? and it being alot better for the engine? Is there a certain hp or model that it is used on?
Thanks for any info with this matter.
Chris.
From what I have read on this forum, its a must. I installed one on my 2019 Scat Pack w/Shaker. It wasn't to bad. I had to buy some extra parts that my kit missed out on. It was guess the part needed and custom cut my hoses. I watched several y-tube videos and bought some half-inch brass barbs, you need two. Since mine is a Shaker, it is mounted a little lower ,but it worked out okay. I drove it yesterday with it on for the first time. It didn't fall off or hoses come loose and blow oil everywhere, so I count it as win ! (y)
I think I should buy a couple of those OEM rubber/plastic connectors that connects to the air intake, that you put the brass barb into and connect your half inch hose to. Cause I had to move the hose around to various routes, just to relieve stress on the 'elbow' ( lack of a better term) connector on the air intake tube. That's where having extra hose for custom 'cut & fit' comes in handy. mine connects on the top of that big air intake tube, not the side. Side would have been better for me. but it can't because of the Shaker mounting bracket.
Yeah, install a catch can. The original plastic factory hose, has a oil residue inside it from the first 560 miles on the car. So it must blow oil.
We'll see what Mr. Catch Can does now.
have a good one !

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I disagree, the amount of crud without one, and the knock retard is considerable after a coupe of years. I've seen 5.7's with and without them, side by side with the heads off. It is a must, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,181 Posts
Mine catch's oil and at 1423 miles

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I disagree, the amount of crud without one, and the knock retard is considerable after a coupe of years. I've seen 5.7's with and without them, side by side with the heads off. It is a must, IMHO.
One day, someone will post a datalog and I'll accept that. Visual deposits happen in every engine, across all makes, and are not detrimental (generally).

·
Registered
448 Posts
One day, someone will post a datalog and I'll accept that. Visual deposits happen in every engine, across all makes, and are not detrimental (generally).
What is a better combustible volume, air+fuel or air+fuel+oil?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I went with the UPR Products Catch Can - I highly recommend it. I will take a picture this afternoon and post it. Quality hardware. Went with the fender mount option.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Reactions: Iamstubb

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's actually a fantastic response, but I still want data. ;) I've spent a LOT of my life messing with cars, tunes (EEPROM flashes, anyone) and teh like, and the only thing that matters if the argument "must" is in play, is data.

Recommend away, but "must" is a strong position.

(I spend a lot of time cursing at engineers)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts