Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning:
I have been doing a lot of research and reading about oil catch cans. I believe they are a good idea given what I've read. But I don't know for sure and I would appreciate any and all your opinions on the subject. That said, I am also looking for advice on which one I should purchase. There seems to be a multitude of vendors and brands that offer them. Some brands state they have a mounting bracket others don't mention one. Some say theirs are mounted on the firewall inside the fender, some say that you have to remove an electrical grommet to attach the bracket and one states that I am supposed to put it in a bolt hole on the front of the engine head on the passenger side. When I checked for this bolt hole it wasn't there. I am not a super mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, so I am looking for a recommendation from someone who has installed an oil catch can on 2020 Challenger RT that isn't going to require me to become ASE certified to install it.

Much gratitude for any and all responses or recommendations!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body
87 Posts
I just installed a billet technologies oil catch can on my 2020 scat.

I needed a flathead and a ratchet with a single socket and a zip tie. Easiest install I’ve ever did.

Here’s a video

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I have attached a picture of what my engine bay looks like with the 5.7 hemi engine cover. Can you please tell me if this will work with my engine cover instaledl I'm worried about the hoses blocking the engine cover from seating?

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
505 Posts
Thank you so much! I have attached a picture of what my engine bay looks like with the 5.7 hemi engine cover. Can you please tell me if this will work with my engine cover instaledl I'm worried about the hoses blocking the engine cover from seating?
Fits just fine on my wife's Grand Cherokee's 5.7 Hemi with the same engine cover installed. The provided hoses are shipped a little long, so you can cut to length for whatever routing you need to do to ensure the cover fits.

If changing your oil is a '1', and rebuilding your motor is a '10', installing a catch can is about a '1.3'. Easy to do with hand tools and a few minutes effort.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,661 Posts
here is a picture of the plastic wire harness "clip" you pull out of the hole where the bolt for the "S" bracket goes.

here is the bolt installed in that hole.

here is a close up of the catch can (Speedlogix is exactly the same as billet tech)

Fuel line Auto part Engine Vehicle Tire

and an over pic of the install

if you use the intake air temp plug as a reference it is easy to locate where it goes.

BTW I removed my engine cover a long time ago to let the heat escape better.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
848 Posts
The catch can I installed has a very course sort of steel wool in it. I took some aluminum screening and rolled up a bit and put it in the cap area right at the hose outlet that leads to the intake. This was to prevent any possible chance of the steel wool getting out and into the intake.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts
I just happen to be sitting in me garage watching TV I'll get some pics in a second
Alright let’s go over this again: the garage is for fixin’ Dodges, NOT for watching TV!

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,661 Posts
Alright let’s go over this again: the garage is for fixin’ Dodges, NOT for watching TV!
well since Dodge's rarely brake I'd never use me garage.

There was the one time, I loaded a Hellcat tune on my R/T hoping it would add a super charger and well, that did not work out so well for me. :D

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts

There was the one time, I loaded a Hellcat tune on my R/T hoping it would add a super charger and well, that did not work out so well for me. :D
Well at least you tried, no one can fault for you that.

Nothing worse than being a boring lay-about that never ventures outside their zone comfort to try new and untested things...

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
You’re gonna be surprised of how much oil you will drain out of the catch can

·
Registered
200 Posts
I installed the UPR OIL CATCH CAN. Very high quality build. Nice weight to it. Mines a Shaker R/T. But same concept. I like UPR be cause of the braided hoses with the end caps. But you do need to cut them to fit. They come long.

Hand Finger
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

·
Registered
2010 srt8 challenger 6 speed
56 Posts
A catch can i feel is definitely worth the money. I installed the moroso and it was easy and looks good. Its also very easy to drain. I drained mine after the install at 1000 miles and it filled half of a paint cap. Just think over a life time how much oil gets pumped back in the intake. Not good. It also depends on how hard you run it as to how much oil is caught. The harder you run it the more blow by you'll get. Plus the little bit of performance gain you get without all that oil in the intake. I dont think it matters which one you get but I would definitely recommend you get one.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,294 Posts
My car doesn’t run any better it just prevents the intake doesn’t get gunked up

·
Registered
271 Posts

😂😂

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,448 Posts
Who doesn't like watching TV with a friend?

A Guy

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would like to thank everybody who has replied to my questions regarding the oil catch can. I have decided to go ahead and install one on my challenger. I will post a picture once I receive it and have it installed!
Again much gratitude to all!

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
394 Posts
When I researching catch cans pretty much everyone was saying you have a 3.6, they are pointless and they will be empty all the time. Even most of the places selling them did not have an option for a 3.6.... first oil change on my car, has only been in there for about 4,500-4,800 miles...

Hind site... there is no perspective in this picture because I make bad decisions. To put it in terms most of us can understand, that is about two shots worth of oil that did not go through the intake.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
289 Posts
Adding a catch can to my Challenger was so easy and took so little time I don't even consider it a mod.

DeWFPo

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess the point of the catch can from what I've read, is that it's supposed to prevent buildup on the valves due to direct injection. I have a 5.7 L and purchased one from billet as soon it arrives I'll post pictures after I get it installed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts