Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 dodge challenger RT, 5.7 liter hemi (with the big plastic engine cover), I'm looking for a oil catch can. What's the best one? I'm more interested in saving money, than looks, I assume adding this serves a good purpose, not spewing sludge back into the engine? So which one is suggested, keeping lowest $ in mind, I would rather spend more if it's easier to install and works better over spending $ for looks.

On another note, I'm also considering removing the hose from the oil filer tube that goes to the air filter, (sealing the hole where it went) and putting a breather filter on the end of this hose.
Anyone know a reason I should not do this ?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Poor crankcase ventilation would be the reason I wouldnt remove that hose, could end up with shortened oil life due to increased oil acidity, although I could be way out to lunch on this.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil Catch Can/breather hose

When you say "Poor crankcase ventilation would be the reason I wouldnt remove that hose," I assume you mean the breathe hose, NOT the PCV hose (where I intend to put the catch can, and will retain a vacuum flow)

On the Breather hose (from where you fill the oil, to the air breather) I begin to think too, that there just may be a reason its connected to a place where there is suction present. In that line of thought, I'm now designing an "in line filter" for this hose. I'm looking at using a fuel filter. this will keep the line sealed from the oil fill are where it begins, to the air filter. There will still have the ventilation, yet it will be filtered to prevent any sludge, etc from going into the air filter (keep in mind, by OEM design, this hose is placed behind the air filter, goes straight into the throttle). So, bottom line, in effect, this will act as a second oil/dirt/sludge catch can.

any thoughts or "what are you thinking man's!" ?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
When you say "Poor crankcase ventilation would be the reason I wouldnt remove that hose," I assume you mean the breathe hose, NOT the PCV hose (where I intend to put the catch can, and will retain a vacuum flow)

On the Breather hose (from where you fill the oil, to the air breather) I begin to think too, that there just may be a reason its connected to a place where there is suction present. In that line of thought, I'm now designing an "in line filter" for this hose. I'm looking at using a fuel filter. this will keep the line sealed from the oil fill are where it begins, to the air filter. There will still have the ventilation, yet it will be filtered to prevent any sludge, etc from going into the air filter (keep in mind, by OEM design, this hose is placed behind the air filter, goes straight into the throttle). So, bottom line, in effect, this will act as a second oil/dirt/sludge catch can.

any thoughts or "what are you thinking man's!" ?
Thanks!
The air being drafted through the PVC has to come from somewhere. I'm thinking a pressure difference is engineered into the motor, the second could be part of that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The air being drafted through the PVC has to come from somewhere. I'm thinking a pressure difference is engineered into the motor, the second could be part of that.
Yes I meant the breather hose

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil catch can/brather

I did it, using a glass, in line fuel filter... I inserted it in the hose, between where you add oil and the air filter. I'll see how this goes. So now the system is intact as far as air flow.

. If over time the glass filter stays clean... Then I'll out it back to stock.... No need to filter clean air! However, clean or not.... This air from the hose, can not contain the percentage of oxygen as does fresh air, that being so, there may well be something said to not having his flow back into the intake

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
On another note, I'm also considering removing the hose from the oil filer tube that goes to the air filter, (sealing the hole where it went) and putting a breather filter on the end of this hose.

Thanks!
Yes. It is against the law to have an open PCV system on your car.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Against the law, huh? That would explain the men in dark clothes hiding in the bushes with night vision around my house!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Question: Is it possible to add an oil catch can on a 5.7 (with engine cover) 'on' and stock air box ?

Just wondering if I need to have a CAI installed BEFORE I can add an Oil Catch Can.

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
I have a 2014 dodge challenger RT, 5.7 liter hemi (with the big plastic engine cover), I'm looking for a oil catch can. What's the best one? I'm more interested in saving money, than looks, I assume adding this serves a good purpose, not spewing sludge back into the engine? So which one is suggested, keeping lowest $ in mind, I would rather spend more if it's easier to install and works better over spending $ for looks.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum

A Catch Can will do 2 things. One for sure and the second is speculation. First, it will significantly reduce the amount of oil blowing into your intake. That alone makes them worthwhile in my book. You will need to check a CC periodically to empty it. The second purpose is speculative... oil blowing into the intake can cause the computer to pull timing causing a slight loss of power. How much power loss? There is the speculation. Its not much and you certainly wont feel a power increase by using a CC.

Billet Technology is by far the most popular CC for our cars but not necessarily the best. Check out Mishimoto and Moroso also.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum

A Catch Can will do 2 things. One for sure and the second is speculation. First, it will significantly reduce the amount of oil blowing into your intake. That alone makes them worthwhile in my book. You will need to check a CC periodically to empty it. The second purpose is speculative... oil blowing into the intake can cause the computer to pull timing causing a slight loss of power. How much power loss? There is the speculation. Its not much and you certainly wont feel a power increase by using a CC.

Billet Technology is by far the most popular CC for our cars but not necessarily the best. Check out Mishimoto and Moroso also.

I spoke to a pretty high up race car mechanic...he said...its a total waste of time, the only engines that get use of this, are cars like his (real high RPM, extended periods of time)....of course I said "what about the oil being blown back in? He said this is so insignificant, has no ill effect and plugs etc are not effected at all.........that was his 2 cents

·
Registered
145 Posts
I spoke to a pretty high up race car mechanic...he said...its a total waste of time, the only engines that get use of this, are cars like his (real high RPM, extended periods of time)....of course I said "what about the oil being blown back in? He said this is so insignificant, has no ill effect and plugs etc are not effected at all.........that was his 2 cents
First day I had my SRT home I spent 30 minutes installing a Moroso catch can ($137 at the time through Amazon Prime). Don't quote me but it should fit a 5.7 with the engine cover on. Personally I like the Moroso can due to the drain valve/tube.

Is it useful? Absolutely. I have not quite 3K miles on my car, have drained the can twice and it has been a not insignificant amount of oil each time (20-30 ml range). Hardly enough that I'm going out and adding a quart afterwards, but enough that I am glad it isn't getting blown back into the intake. I don't drive "real high RPM, extended periods of time" and I while the amount of oil blowing back at any given point of time is not likely to be immediately detrimental, it's still going somewhere it shouldn't. I've read horror stories of guys opening up their intake covers and finding pools of oil over everything, which I doubt is good for anything in the engine.

For me it is absolutely worth it for a relatively cheap, one time expense to prevent what can likely be a long-term problem. I did a bit of research on the subject within this forum and I believe the overwhelming consensus is that Oil Catch Cans are worth every penny. I will add my vote to that consensus.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question: Is it possible to add an oil catch can on a 5.7 (with engine cover) 'on' and stock air box ?

Just wondering if I need to have a CAI installed BEFORE I can add an Oil Catch Can.
As far as engine cover goes, check out this video:

https://youtu.be/S-j7TS3RmUs

Maybe you can determine the answer to the CAI question from watching it as well, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: gumby

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!!! My catch can on 2014 rt didn't get near that much oil, with 4 times that many miles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info… I'm glad to hear billet technology has a fender mount setup for the catch can. I guess my other options would be to buy the Charger inlet tube # 4861940AC and use my stock air box with the drop in K & N filter….then add the stud mounted catch can OR save $100 and NOT buy the Charger inlet tube and buy the fender mounted catch can. Decisions, decisions….

Cheers !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts