Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new in owning a challenger. Just bought one last week. I have a ‘17 GT. I’ve seen videos about how this is a necessity. I use this vehicle as my daily driver. What do y’all think about this mod? Is it necessary? Pros? Cons? Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,190 Posts
Ordered one for my 2014 at less the 500 miles on it, before it get oil coated.

We have one on the 2006 mustang and half to empty it weekly !!!

JLT Performance is the first and best IMOP

·
Registered
2019 Hellcat Red Eye Widebody
200 Posts
Marcus,

I'm a relative newbie here and wondered about their utility too. There are differing opinions about whether they really benefit our engines (one would think if they were important they would be OEM - but then again it is something else to check so it doesn't get full - that's very bad), but I concluded it was worth installing one and did so immediately after getting the car home. No one has said it will adversely affected our warranties, which is important.

A long time gear head buddy of mine with a sense of humor pointed out the real value in having one. With your hood up at the weekly "cruise in" night at your favorite Mexican restaurant (we love ours) when an interested person sees it and says, "What's that thing do?", you can tilt your head casually in the direction of your oil catch can and say, "That? That's my oil catch can. It adds 37 horsepower by preventing blow-by contaminants from the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system from reentering the intake manifold (or, better yet, the SUPERCHARGER!). Yep, best investment yet I've made in my Challenger!"

This will elicit either admiring smiles from the agog with wonder crowd of onlookers - maybe even some gasps of amazement - or - someone (say...hmmm...just about anyone who posts here!) in the back of the crowd will yell, "That's total BS!"

And then, a likely outcome amongst friendly gear heads, a spirited argument will ensue about oil catch cans and all sorts of modifications and how they affect horsepower and handling. And that right there is worth the money to buy a catch can!

But, you DO have to admit you were just kidding at some point!

Best,

Finface

Attachments

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Hi all! I am new in owning a challenger. Just bought one last week. I have a ‘17 GT. I’ve seen videos about how this is a necessity. I use this vehicle as my daily driver. What do y’all think about this mod? Is it necessary? Pros? Cons? Any helpful input would be greatly appreciated!
Since you're new I'll save you some time: there are probably 87,462 posts about catch cans on this site. Do a little searching and you'll find everything you wanted (and didn't want) to know about them. :smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am no gear head by any means! But, I do want to take care of this car as best I can. If this is something worth doing for longevity of the car that would be fantastic! As well as having something interesting under the hood. It may be worth adding that my GT has a V6 3.6 in it. From what I’ve seen it really helps the bigger engines.

-Marcus

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would have one in any modern Mopar. I bought the one in my car before i bought the car!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Since you're new I'll save you some time: there are probably 87,462 posts about catch cans on this site. Do a little searching and you'll find everything you wanted (and didn't want) to know about them. :smile:
Great answer. Newbies need to learn how to use the search button.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,381 Posts
... From what I’ve seen it really helps the bigger engines...

-Marcus
It's not the size of the engine that matters. ALL engines have PCV systems and ALL engines recycle oil mist from the crankcase into the intake: it's the law. This mist causes a disaster, the data on this forum proves it. Granted, there is more chatter about catch cans from those who own larger engines. I would speculate that this is simply because the same mindset that chooses a larger engine would also want a catch can as it preserves every precious pony the engine made when shiny and new. Same reason that 6.4 owners are more likely to mod the engine. But ANY engine will benefit from a catch can. Want some genuine evidence? Use the search function.

Here's an example of what you'll find:

CLICKY HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts