Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a buddy that works at the local GMC dealership as a service advisor. We are close friends and he takes care of me, not to mention I know several of the other guys in the shop. He got me a smokin’ deal on tinting my windows ($100) so I dropped it by to him yesterday to get it done. While there, I asked him to go ahead and change the oil since I had 1,400 miles on the ticker and wanted to change out the factory fluids. Would have preferred to do this at the 500 mile mark, but life happens.

Anyhow, I drop it off and go back after work to pick it up. I was a little surprised when I saw my bill for the oil change, $37! Keep in mind I took my wife’s Equinox in the day before to do the same thing and cost was around $25. I immediately scan the invoice and notice the Challenger took 8 quarts of oil to fill up!!!

I can’t remember owning a vehicle that took that much oil, so it left an impression. Being curious if that was right, I just checked the owner’s manual. It states 7 quarts is required. Now I’ve seen how they “count” quarts of oil when doing an oil change. They listen for clicks as the machine kicks out oil through the hose. Then they check the levels when it gets close. So I’m relatively comfortable that I have the correct oil level, but am going to recheck today at lunch.

Still that seems like a lot of oil. Anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
2,891 Posts
Well if the mechanic did it correctly and filled up the oil filter before putting it on those things hold almost a quart in its self. Double check anyways to be safe that he didnt over fill it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hummm...That's interesting. my former charger SRT took 6.5 to 7 quarts.

As you said the manual says 7 quarts...so it is. I would follow that no matter what the mechanic says. Sometimes those oil pumps are old and not accurate in terms of quarts. If I were you , I would buy the oil myself (7 quarts) and give to him.

GOTSRT

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
Our Hemis take 7 quarts with the filter. Sometimes not all of the oil drains down into the pan. I would check your level closely. You probably got over-filled.

If the oil level is high enough, the crankshaft will whip the oil so that it gets air in it. Not good for lubricating the bearings. Also, it often gets on the cylinder walls, making it hard for your rings to seal. (That will cause noticeable smoke). If too much oil was added, you can just drain off enough to bring the level back down to where it should be. The air in the oil will work itself out in short order. Just let it idle for the first few minutes afterwards.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So I have a buddy that works at the local GMC dealership as a service advisor. We are close friends and he takes care of me, not to mention I know several of the other guys in the shop. He got me a smokin’ deal on tinting my windows ($100) so I dropped it by to him yesterday to get it done. While there, I asked him to go ahead and change the oil since I had 1,400 miles on the ticker and wanted to change out the factory fluids. Would have preferred to do this at the 500 mile mark, but life happens.

Anyhow, I drop it off and go back after work to pick it up. I was a little surprised when I saw my bill for the oil change, $37! Keep in mind I took my wife’s Equinox in the day before to do the same thing and cost was around $25. I immediately scan the invoice and notice the Challenger took 8 quarts of oil to fill up!!!

I can’t remember owning a vehicle that took that much oil, so it left an impression. Being curious if that was right, I just checked the owner’s manual. It states 7 quarts is required. Now I’ve seen how they “count” quarts of oil when doing an oil change. They listen for clicks as the machine kicks out oil through the hose. Then they check the levels when it gets close. So I’m relatively comfortable that I have the correct oil level, but am going to recheck today at lunch.

Still that seems like a lot of oil. Anyone else have similar experiences?
NO-NO-NO!! 7 quarts with filter, and with that most will still show a little overfull. Can you say "Owners Manual"?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You really need to get 1 quart out of there if he in fact put 8 in.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I don't think overfilling by a quart on a 7 quart sump is going to affect anything, I mean already the difference between MIN and MAX is like a quart in itself. As long as the oil isn't hitting the crank and foaming up and making the engine run like poo I wouldn't bother to try and suck it out if it is a notch above max...

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the same problem, 8 qt's to fill on the dip stick. I only put in 7 now. I did try the let it all drain, let it sit for 2.5 hours with no filter and no drain plug. 7 qts in and it shows 1 qt low. Did stick tube and stick fully seated. Having worked for Chrysler a few years ago,,,,I do remember some vehicles having the same issue, they ended up having us order new tubes and dip sticks to fix. Maybe same thing on ours...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wait to get the coupon from my local dealership that miracously seems to arrive whenever i need an oil change, as if they are monitoring me lol. anyway they do the oil change for 29.95 but it clearly states in fine print that hemi engines are more. Whenever i get the bill it always states that they put in 8 quarts of oil and thats why it's more money. I believe they are ripping me off but i'm not about to start changing the oil myself, and the place is real convenient for me to go to, so i just pay the extra money and move on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It may not have actually taken 8 quarts, the systems most dealers use will not allow them to charge out partial quarts. It may have taken just over 7, they round up.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The "PERFECT" fill for the SRT8 is 6.5qts when it comes to dyno testing. 7 is fine, 8 WILL CREATE windage off the crank and reduce HP.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses and concern. And a special thanks to Cuda and Mr. RPM for explaining the ill effects of being over filled, I hope this helps others too.

So I checked the levels. The dipstick is showing about 1/8" to maybe 1/4" above the max line. I'm not sure how to judge how much that equals in terms of quarts, I'm guessing not very much. So I do think they put in 7.x quarts but their billing system forces even number billing, which is why it shows 8.

I still feel uncomfortable so I will drop by and ask to use the lift so I can drain a little out. Better safe than sorry, although I'm not certain that small amount would mean much. No smoking or HP loss is noticeable at this point.

Our Hemis take 7 quarts with the filter. Sometimes not all of the oil drains down into the pan. I would check your level closely. You probably got over-filled.

If the oil level is high enough, the crankshaft will whip the oil so that it gets air in it. Not good for lubricating the bearings. Also, it often gets on the cylinder walls, making it hard for your rings to seal. (That will cause noticeable smoke). If too much oil was added, you can just drain off enough to bring the level back down to where it should be. The air in the oil will work itself out in short order. Just let it idle for the first few minutes afterwards.

The "PERFECT" fill for the SRT8 is 6.5qts when it comes to dyno testing. 7 is fine, 8 WILL CREATE windage off the crank and reduce HP.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
just remember, the dipstick only measures the height of the oil ON THE STICK. not in the pan.

If the tube isnt seated, the level (7qts) will look LOW. Put in 7qts. run the motor to make sure the filter is full. let the oil settle and look at the level on YOUR stick. THEN MARK IT. That is YOUR 7qt fill.

If you fill it to the factory mark, you may be hi or lo depending on where the mexican worker seated your tube.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just take the filter off , then dump the oil out of the filter and reinstall it. Start up check for leaks and shut back off and the level will be lowered. Repeat untill level is correct. If too much is removed just add more untill level is correct.
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Not far off topic, but can anyone verify that the white "Viper" filters for late model Vipers will fit the 2010 SRT8 engine? I called the Mopar supercenter to get the correct P/N for a MOPAR oil filter, and was told the PN was 4884899AB, and this filter seems like it'll fit. The reason I'd rather use this filter, is so both my SRT10 and SRT8 would use the same filter...

Mopar OEM SRT-8 Oil Filter 5038041AA

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just had the dealer do an oill change, and the invoice says 1 filter and 7 quarts of oil.

Wait 'till you do a "Hemi Tune", and find out you have 16 spark plugs! LOL

·
Registered
752 Posts
FYI, my 1995 BMW 318 (with a 1.8 liter 4 cylinder) took between 7-8 qts of oil. It also ran 8000 miles between changes on conventional oil. I think this was the key to the extended oil change intervals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts