Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the "oil change required" alert in my evic display. But, I changed the oil 3 months ago and have only put only ~3000 miles since... Oil level is on the lower end of safe range, but when full its somewhere around the middle so not much used. Also the oil doesn't look overly dirty. Any ideas why it would come on?

Also, I don't know if the alert was manually reset at the last change but the notice was gone after the change. Would that have to have been done deliberately or can it reset itself based on the oil condition?

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts
The oil life has to be reset manually. You can reset it now in fact, and see if it comes back, but keep tabs on how long it's actually been. The oil life system is duty based, so depending on how you drive, etc., it will display the alert. If indeed your oil is not too low, discolored, or frothy, etc. Chances are you can use the time instead. If it all looks good, reset it and see if it quickly comes back.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Looks to me like it wasn't reset at your last change. If so and if it were my car I would just reset it and change my oil when next due and reset again then.
I only use the oil change function as a back up any way, just keep to your engines oil change schedule and all will be good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'll reset and see what happens. I change the oil at 6k intervals, about twice a year. Most of my driving is highway, but I don't drive very hard, too much traffic for that :(

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Others have responded to the question about the oil change alert.

I wanted to respond to what I felt was an off hand comment and with no real sign of concern by you: "Oil level is on the lower end of safe range".

I do hope you are going to top up the oil level. And my advice is to keep the oil level towards the max level end of the stick. Wet sump oil systems need all the help they can get in ensuring the engine receives sufficient oil at all times and one way the driver can help is to keep the oil pan full of oil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do hope you are going to top up the oil level. And my advice is to keep the oil level towards the max level end of the stick. Wet sump oil systems need all the help they can get in ensuring the engine receives sufficient oil at all times and one way the driver can help is to keep the oil pan full of oil.
Thanks, yes I'm going to top it off. I usually do that mid way between my oil change interval which is about where I'm at now. But since the alert came on I was curious to try and isolate that cause first. So I reset the alert and will let it go another day or so to see if it comes back on before topping it off. If it does, I'll add the oil and see what happens next...

As to the oil level, if seven quarts doesn't get it to the top of the full line, would I really want to put in more than 7 quarts in your opinion?

·
Registered
522 Posts
As to the oil level, if seven quarts doesn't get it to the top of the full line, would I really want to put in more than 7 quarts in your opinion?

I wouldn't. From what I've read, the dipsticks on these are not terribly accurate. Best thing is to do a full oil change with filter, run the motor then let it drain back for an hour or so and note the level on the dipstick. Some have made a mark on the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks, yes I'm going to top it off. I usually do that mid way between my oil change interval which is about where I'm at now. But since the alert came on I was curious to try and isolate that cause first. So I reset the alert and will let it go another day or so to see if it comes back on before topping it off. If it does, I'll add the oil and see what happens next...

I am not current on the amount of oil a car equipped with the 5.7l engine requires. I'd say add the amount of oil called for by the owners manual or even better what the factory manual -- if you can get your hands on one -- calls for for your car's engine and model year.

No more. But no less.

Not sure what to do about a discrepancy between what amount of oil is supposed to be in the engine vs. an oil dipstick that doesn't show the engine full of oil with this amount of oil in the engine. All my previous cars had an oil dipstick or oil level measuring system that was in agreement with the amount of oil the factory called for to be in the engine.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

No, if you have drained the oil and filter and added the specified quantity of oil you are good to go. For my money this is now your full level on your dip stick, only top up if it drops below the minimum level on your dip stick (this may now be unreliable but still a guide). Engines find their own level and stay there under normal use, abnormal oil consumption would require further investigation.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all! It seems to use about 1/2 quart between 6k mi oil changes. Doesn't seem like a large amount to me but I don't really know what to compare it to...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
spun bearing
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing