Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 just hit 2,500 miles and the oil change indicator is on. The manual says 6,000 miles. i asked the dealership and they said they recommend 3,000 miles but because of where I live (bad air quality) it triggers sooner. Is this true? I know on new cars sometimes you have to change the oil sooner than usual. Is there some kind of electronic trigger that detects when the oil is going bad? It doesn't sound right.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Alot of times that's about when the light comes on. I always change mine before it comes on but I'ld change it if I were you. Most people say 5-6K like the manual says but especailly the first time if the light was on I'ld change it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I had mine changed at 1500 miles. This was to dump any metal etc that would be in a new motor. Now every 3000 miles approx.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I had mine changed at 1500 miles. This was to dump any metal etc that would be in a new motor. Now every 3000 miles approx.
Me to but your about to get the flack of the world. People on here hate people like us that changeoil every 3K. Like I said I do it any way.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
The oil change indicator is based on an algorithm that takes into account several inputs. Among them is mileage, RPM the motor has been runnig, temperature, and possibly the number of starts and, # of short trips. It doesn't actually sense the condition of the oil itself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The oil change indicator is based on an algorithm that takes into account several inputs. Among them is mileage, RPM the motor has been runnig, temperature, and possibly the number of starts and, # of short trips. It doesn't actually sense the condition of the oil itself.
Thanks man. Good info!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I thought it did too but now I'm not so sure. It seems like all the oil change indicator lights come on at about 2500 miles. I think that is the standard.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
It must not just be mileage because I took a trip right after I got my car and had 3K on it before I got back and got the oil changed. My warning has never came on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The first time the oil change light on my new Challenger came on was also at exactly 2500 miles. It has nothing to do with the algorithm. I believe the factory purposely preprogramed the ECU to activate the oil change light so that owners will have the break in oil changed. Otherwise, how else would you explain more than one owner having the light come on at exactly 2500 miles? I drove the car carefully during the first 2500 miles to break in the engine so the algorith wouldn't have come on at such a low milage. Since then, I've always changed the oil at 4,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
my 2010 R/T Classic oil change light came on @ 2500 miles

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Mine's never came on, but then the PCM on my car has always been weird. Change it now and then every 3k afterwards and you'll be golden.

Jack

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I haven't got but about 1K on my car, but I had the dealer change the oil when I purchased it with 166 miles on the clock. The owners manual says absolutely 6 months is the longest time period, regardless of mileage. This car sat on the lot for a year, and I would bet my house they never changed the oil in it before I insisted.

That said, I don't know why the 6 months- - if that's the case I'm sure a LOT of Challengers should have the oil change light on while still new sitting on the dealers lot, so the algorithm doesn't take that into account, even though the manual is pretty explicit.

When I go to the dealer for my first, the car's second oil change it willl be interesting to see if they know how to reset the computer. Regardless of make, I find that's something that eludes a lot of mechanics. I think that's because dealerships get the LEAST qualified person to do oil changes. Another reason to do it yourself, or have it done at a good shop, but as long as my car is under warranty, I prefer to get the dealership to do it. Just less hassle in the event of a powertrain warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My car had 116 miles on it when I got it and it had sat around the lot for about 5 and a half months and one of the first things I did was change the oil. It looked fine, but it's a cheap thing to do, and couldn't hurt. That was at about 550 miles, and it just hit 2900, and I will change it about 3500 or so and put synthetic in it from that point on.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I haven't got but about 1K on my car, but I had the dealer change the oil when I purchased it with 166 miles on the clock. The owners manual says absolutely 6 months is the longest time period, regardless of mileage. This car sat on the lot for a year, and I would bet my house they never changed the oil in it before I insisted.

That said, I don't know why the 6 months- - if that's the case I'm sure a LOT of Challengers should have the oil change light on while still new sitting on the dealers lot, so the algorithm doesn't take that into account, even though the manual is pretty explicit.

When I go to the dealer for my first, the car's second oil change it willl be interesting to see if they know how to reset the computer. Regardless of make, I find that's something that eludes a lot of mechanics. I think that's because dealerships get the LEAST qualified person to do oil changes. Another reason to do it yourself, or have it done at a good shop, but as long as my car is under warranty, I prefer to get the dealership to do it. Just less hassle in the event of a powertrain warranty claim.
Thanks for posting that, I really didn't know. I'm at 1850 miles, bought the car with 750 miles on the odometer last September, and I haven't changed the oil yet, but now I will, this weekend. Much appreciated!

What's the best recommended filter? (ducking...)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
2010 R/T-C 2500miles on da nose. Changed to synth at 500, gonna change soon, 3k on now makes it easier to remember. I didn't reset when I first changed it out, so looks like a breakin oil change warning, just reset it and will be interesting to see when it "decides" I should change again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The oil change indicator is based on an algorithm that takes into account several inputs. <snip>, RPM the motor has been running,<snip>

AH-HA!.......that is why mine comes on so soon........:lol:

So I pull into the Dodge store last Saturday to visit a friend and when I started it up to leave it said "oil change required, contact dealer".....:scratchhead:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I think some dealers program them that way to get you back to the dealership. Dealerships make most of thier money on maintenance and repairs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts