Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the "oil change required" notification on my evic after only about 4k miles and 5 months. This happened prior to the last oil change as well. The oil level might be slightly low but it doesn't seem worn. I use royal purple synth and srt filter. Any reason for me to be concerned? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
The 6 months is only for 392 and SRT, it's still max 1 year for 5.7L.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Don’t go with the notification rather mileage and driving habits. Since you’re using a good filter with synthetic I’d do it every 8K miles but not exceed a year. JMO

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts
The 6 months is only for 392 and SRT, it's still max 1 year for 5.7L.

Hmmm?

Clipboard01.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for this Info!. I thought synthetic oil is only for 6000 kms to a max of 8000 kms or 6 months whichever comes first. (I follow this with my Hyundai genesis coupe).

I didn't knew it could exceed more than 10,000 kms in a bnew car! especially in the challengers.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts
Just posting what the owners manual said. A Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like the notification is a little early, but based on approaching the 6 month interval its about time for a change anyhow.

On a related note, I'm thinking of going to the dealership for the 30k service since I need to have a couple recall issues addressed anyway. If I bring the SRT filter and Royal Purple oil will they cooperate or try to force me to use their oil and filter? I purchased an extended warranty from the dealership when I bought the car used but can't tell if that would be precluded in the terms...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like the notification is a little early, but based on approaching the 6 month interval its about time for a change anyhow.

On a related note, I'm thinking of going to the dealership for the 30k service since I need to have a couple recall issues addressed anyway. If I bring the SRT filter and Royal Purple oil will they cooperate or try to force me to use their oil and filter? I purchased an extended warranty from the dealership when I bought the car used but can't tell if that would be precluded in the terms...

What does the 30K mile service include?
They can’t force you to use their oil but it’ll be documented. I wouldn’t do it specifically since you have extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Service manual says different...LOL this reminds me of the 345 CI...348 CI...no 345 CI Dodge scribblings. BTW SRT is 6 month.
In the '16 Owners manual, both 3.6 and 5.7s are

10K mi / 12 mos max or 350 hrs run time

SRT engines are 6K mi / 6 mos max 6.2 SC or 6.4

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What does the 30K mile service include?
They can’t force you to use their oil but it’ll be documented. I wouldn’t do it specifically since you have extended warranty.
Technically I guess its a 32k service but aside from oil change the major items are change spark plugs and possibly change manual transmission fluid.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Technically I guess its a 32k service but aside from oil change the major items are change spark plugs and possibly change manual transmission fluid.

Ok I see. You have 2012 RT. Yeah the spark plugs need to be replaced at 30k miles on the 2012s. Not sure about the transmission oil. What does the manual say?
Have you changed the cabin air filter yet?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. The manual says manual transmission fluid should be changed if driving in hot weather or stop and go traffic, the latter is more applicable to me so I thought I may as well do it. I also need to change the cabin air filter and engine air filter. I guess my normal shop should be able to do those things instead of the dealer unless there's something unusual about the plugs or transmission service?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
What year?

As Hal said, it's one year now and has been for several years far as I know.

FYI - the info I posted from the service manual was for 2015 models. I think A Guy might have grabbed his info from the 2016 owners manual as that is the year Challenger he owns.

The 2015 owners manual shows 12 months for non-6.4 engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This is for a 2012 5.7 (not sure why my sig isn't showing up reliably). 2012 owners manual says interval should not exceed 6 months or 8k miles. It looks just like the attachment A Guy posted on the previous page.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,912 Posts
What year?

As Hal said, it's one year now and has been for several years far as I know.
OP has a 2012 R/T

A Guy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts