Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I hope this message finds everyone well. I picked up my Scatpack Wide Body October 2019. I only have 2000 miles on it (maybe even a little less). The owners manual says : 'Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first'.
My questions are : Do I need to change it? What happens if I wait another month? Am I voiding a warranty if I wait? Just want to get your advice on this.
By the way - reason I'm asking - I'm hesitant to go out with COVID19 thing going on, even though the dealership is open, so any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Technically, yes you have to follow the 6 month, 6k mile change intervals to keep the engine portion of your warranty intact.

If there is an engine issue/some sort of failure, FCA will ask for oil/filter change records/log, along with receipts.

They can deny the warranty coverage if the schedule is not followed.

Not sure if they will bend any during this time with all that's going on.

Call your dealer and Chrysler to see what they have to say.

Best of luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,587 Posts
Yeah, at least buy the oil and filter from Amazon, get a receipt, and change it when you can. And I would also assume as long as you change it 2x a year, it won't be an issue if you go over a bit then catch up. As long as you go over on time, not miles. BUT, I'm not a lawyer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll just mask & glove up and head down there. I'll clorox wipe the wheel, stick & controls before I pull out. Be safe everyone. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. I think I'll just mask & glove up and head down there. I'll clorox wipe the wheel, stick & controls before I pull out. Be safe everyone. Thanks again for the advice.
I wouldn't use a clorox wipe on ANYTHING plastic or leather inside that Challenger, if it were mine.
That's 'dis-coloration city' !
I would use gloves, to drive it home. A Challenger that new, I would park it let it sit for a day in the sun and the
virus ( if there) will die on surface. If you must I would use McGuires natural shine protective on a microfiber cloth on anything that is Not clear plastic. ( like the instrument cluster)

I would just use gloves to drive home and never let 'clorox-anything' near that Challenger ☣.
Just wait a day or two in the sun, it will kill any virus ! You be good to go and enjoy.
I'd pull the dipstick and make sure the correct amount of oil is in it, and the oil filler cap is on correctly.
Best regards
parrott

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
987 Posts
Hello. I hope this message finds everyone well. I picked up my Scatpack Wide Body October 2019. I only have 2000 miles on it (maybe even a little less). The owners manual says : 'Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first'.
My questions are : Do I need to change it? What happens if I wait another month? Am I voiding a warranty if I wait? Just want to get your advice on this.
By the way - reason I'm asking - I'm hesitant to go out with COVID19 thing going on, even though the dealership is open, so any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
I think YOU answered your own question.......

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
84 Posts
Well, nothing will happen to the car if you wait a month or two. Will it cause your engine to fail early? Not in my opinion. Would FCA deny a warranty claim if it did? Could they reasonably prove that the difference in the age of the oil between 6 months and 8 months caused the problem? Not likely. Is it worth going out and exposing yourself to Covid-19? You get to decide that one.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
188 Posts
I can't speak toward the warranty being honored or not. But I will draw a question around the 'why' change the oil on a time rather than a use basis?

Oil gets contaminated and breaks down which is why we replace it with fresh oil. One cause of contamination is moisture not getting evaporated out. This happens when vehicles have short drives and don't come up to operating temperature. And it happens more often in damp environments.

So my rhetorical questions... How have you been driving your Challenger? Does it get up to full operating temperature? And when it sits, is it in a nice garage or out in the weather with the temperature swings? If it gets out and comes up to temp, and you keep it in a happy place, I really doubt you have anything to worry about for oil at the six month mark with minimal miles on it.

I guess I will comment on the warranty.... If the motor goes ker-chuck and needs a major repair, I imagine the service department will take a look at the car's overall condition. Has the tar been beat out of it a 1/4 mile at a time? Or does it appear clean and well maintained, especially under the hood? That will tell them whether they need to dig deeper into the maintenance schedule.

Let's face it, you are asking about a minor point on the maintenance schedule. You aren't the buyer who is running the car until the wheels fall off. The car means more to you than just transportation (otherwise you wouldn't be here on this forum). The possibility of a sudden catastrophic engine failure with no advance notice is very, very small. Something almost always goes 'funky' first, and as a car enthusiast you are unlikely to ignore the warning. I think you are worrying unnecessarily, but that is just my opinion.

-Eric

·
Registered
415 Posts
But yet a Scat Pack will sit on a dealer's lot, be moved numerous times past 6 months and when you buy it they won't change the oil/oil filter because "it wasn't titled". This time thing is the biggest rip off I've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
But yet a Scat Pack will sit on a dealer's lot, be moved numerous times past 6 months and when you buy it they won't change the oil/oil filter because "it wasn't titled". This time thing is the biggest rip off I've ever seen.
You left out in snow states they block the entrances and exits and run all the cars on the property for an hour or so with the heat on high to melt the ice and snow so they can clean the cars more easily. They may do it multiple times a season. I was there and saw this.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Exactly, it is a ripoff. I put 600 miles on my car last year. One oil change and THAT was overkill.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
This has been discussed a number of times. You (along with others) try to make a mountain out of a molehill.

The cars on the lot are not considered to be in service and the usual service schedule does not apply. While the engines get run it is just a few minutes total time. Maybe as long as the engine was run to move the car off the assembly line and drive it to the parking lot/storage lot cars sit until they are shipped. Course the engine is run when the car is moved on to the train or truck carrier. Then run again when the car reaches its destination, which may be another storage lot that is used to supply the dealers in a region of the country. Then when the car does arrive at the dealer's lot the engine gets run again as the car is moved to the sales line.

If Dodge considered the car in service from the 1st engine start the warranty clock would start a the end of the assembly line. I can imagine the uproar when a new car buyer finds his brand new but 3 month old car has lost 3 months of its 36 months warranty simply due to the engine being started to move the car away from the assembly line.

Owners that put considerably under 6K miles on their cars in 6 months are outliers. The 6 month oil change is a catch all for those owners. One mile or 5999 miles it is all the same.

While the car is not used much during that 6 months and horrors the oil has to be changed, what a rip off, owners fail to grasp how much money they have lost to depreciation over that 6 months.

The oil change schedule is what it is. For one 6 month period I only put 3K miles on the car and of course I had the oil changed on time, and with the odometer at 13K miles. No biggie. In fact when the odometer reached 15K miles I had the oil service done again to get the car back on the 5K mile oil change interval I like to follow.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like someone is making not very well thought out excuses for Dodge. As usual......

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
SOS, and so simple.

Dodge offers the owner a warranty, and a service schedule to follow.

The owner has a choice to follow it or not. Their choice.

Bitching about "how long the car was on the lot without service" makes me laugh every time.

Why did you buy a car that was sitting on the lot for a long time? A better deal?

Why weren't you aware of the service schedule for the car that you were considering buying?

No sense belly aching about this after you bought the car that you saved a ton of money on, or a car that you didn't check the mnt schedule on.

Doesn't make sense, but I get a good chuckle every time this subject comes up.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
987 Posts
@19johned53
I agree 100%. About the only other places there’s more whining is on some of the RAM HD pickup sites, where everyone buys a $70,000 RAM 3500 Cummins equipped truck, puts 10,000 miles per year on it, then complains because they’re mandated to change the oil every 15,000 miles, 6 months, or 500 hours. I simply chuckle.......

Your vehicle / Your warranty.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No gas you won't go very far. No insurance you will pay the price if caught. 600 miles in 6 months and have to change oil is stupid. The 6 month thing is stupid. Period. Yes I know Dodge will track you down and take off the Scat Pack emblems..................

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
No gas you won't go very far. No insurance you will pay the price if caught. 600 miles in 6 months and have to change oil is stupid. The 6 month thing is stupid. Period. Yes I know Dodge will track you down and take off the Scat Pack emblems..................
If oil changes scheduled on time are so upsetting to you maybe you should have done a bit more research before you bought the car.

You bought the car and elected to just drive it 600 miles over 6 months then complain because Dodge requires oil changes every 6K miles or 6 months and you had to change the oil with only 600 miles on the car?

I'm sorry but I just can't work up much (any) sympathy for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
600 miles in 6 months and have to change oil is stupid. The 6 month thing is stupid. Period.

That's what a 5.7 RT is for then, with it's 1 year or 10,000 mile ( whatever comes first ) Oil change schedule. It's the price you pay for a high performance motor.
I'm at 2200 miles on mine and have had the oil changed twice.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts