Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've gone 20,000 miles on my daily drivers using Amsoil. Got rid of them when they went over 200,000 miles and had zero issues. Amsoil is good stuff.
Drove a collective 678K miles on various cars with the least mileage being 50K the most being 317K using Mobil 1 0w-40 (and for a few years Mobil 1 5w-50) oil. Zero engine issues. Good oil.

Still wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 for one of the SRT engines. My advice is to always use what the factory says to use.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, Amzoil's marketing as usual.

Page after page of "numbers" that exceed various specs, but they never say that the oil MEETS these specs.

They only go as far as "suggesting" which of their wonder oils to use in various apps.

Why would someone buy an oil like this when it costs even more than the Pennzoil?

The real game changer on the scene now is Valvoline.

They offer a 0-40 oil that meets the specs, and at almost 1/2 the cost of the Pennzoil.

And guess what? It states this clearly on the bottle and their website, like real oil companies do! Lol
How much is the Valvoline? I am with you.....happy with Pennzoil but I have to get if from Amazon and it is pricey.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Someone around here said $24 for a 5 qrt jug at Walmart.

I haven't been to my closest one yet, but I'll check next time in.

For that price, and meeting the FCA spec, I'll try it and see.

Liking the Pennz, but!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Someone around here said $24 for a 5 qrt jug at Walmart.

I haven't been to my closest one yet, but I'll check next time in.

For that price, and meeting the FCA spec, I'll try it and see.

Liking the Pennz, but!
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. If they sell it at that price I am all in.........

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Drove a collective 678K miles on various cars with the least mileage being 50K the most being 317K using Mobil 1 0w-40 (and for a few years Mobil 1 5w-50) oil. Zero engine issues. Good oil.

Still wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 for one of the SRT engines. My advice is to always use what the factory says to use.
When I bought my 2012 SRT in June of 2012, Mobil 1 was the recommended oil to use and it was 5w-40 before they changed it to 0w-40. Yes, it’s about lubricating the engine but don’t for a second think it’s not about money even more so.
Have you all noticed how all the companies during this virus outbreak are trying to appear to be so sensitive about what’s going on out there while still trying to get you as their customer? It’s flat out disgusting and yes it’s ALWAYS money first.
It’s taken public shaming of healthcare systems to give their hospital employees proper personal protection apparatus and a bump in pay too.
Years back Chrysler saved a whole $.05 per o-ring on certain transmissions to save themselves money, not to give the consumer a better transmission and they blew up by the thousands. Want to bet that nickel savings cost them millions? It always about the money, always will be.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
When I bought my 2012 SRT in June of 2012, Mobil 1 was the recommended oil to use and it was 5w-40 before they changed it to 0w-40. Yes, it’s about lubricating the engine but don’t for a second think it’s not about money even more so.
Have you all noticed how all the companies during this virus outbreak are trying to appear to be so sensitive about what’s going on out there while still trying to get you as their customer? It’s flat out disgusting and yes it’s ALWAYS money first.
It’s taken public shaming of healthcare systems to give their hospital employees proper personal protection apparatus and a bump in pay too.
Years back Chrysler saved a whole $.05 per o-ring on certain transmissions to save themselves money, not to give the consumer a better transmission and they blew up by the thousands. Want to bet that nickel savings cost them millions? It always about the money, always will be.
Every car forum it is the same. The only reason Brand X oil is recommended is because company A is a money grubbing slime ball POS organization that is willing to supply its customers with an inferior oil just to pad its bottom line.

Since we are in a Dodge forum I will point out that while the list price of the recommended Pennzoil is "high" (but on par with what I paid for the factory fill oil for my Porsche cars, at least at first) in every case the dealer service department has discounted the oil from its $10+ list price to $6. And discounted the filter, too. And in one case the dealer gave me an oil/filter service at no cost. Then the most recent oil/filter service I paid for one service plus a small premium to get the 2nd service at a nearly zero $ cost. I get two oil/filter services for the price of one.

If Dodge is counting on oil sales to pad its bottom line it is going to be very disappointed I think.

You talk about it being about money. It is about money, that's no secret. (Years ago an engineering mentor of mine was then head of engineering of an auto parts company in the LA area. The company was invited to bid on a part (carburetor) for a US car maker. The bid was submitted and was not awarded because his company's bid the per unit price was not quite a penny over the winning bid. The volume of units to be produced was over the life of the contract to be in the millions.)

Ok it is about money. Look at it from this point. Far better for Dodge to recommend a good oil and maybe even lower its cost by enabling the dealers to discount it so owners use the oil to ensure a long and trouble free service life from the Dodge engine rather to push a lower quality oil with a higher potential "profit" margin and to then have the sides of the roads littered with Dodge cars with dead engines due to inadequate oil recommended by Dodge.

In this scenario for the few pennies of profit this might have provided Dodge it pales when compared to the cost of warranty claims and the bad rep Dodge engines would soon have with the resulting drop in car sales.

There are other factors, too. Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is widely used. We are talking about millions of new cars and mega millions of used cars. Exxon Mobil might be at a point where it can't take on another factory fill position with in this case Dodge due to it being up against a limit to how much oil it can supply. And adding refinery capacity is expensive and in many areas impossible due to "environmental" concerns. Another way to mitigate limited supply is price. Charge more. Some automakers and owners on the price sensitive side will stop using Mobil and switch to something else. In the meantime Mobil makes more from Dodge because Dodge was wiling to pay more.

So, Dodge might have turned to Pennzoil which has the capacity and at a price that was in line with what other car makers were/are paying.

Or Dodge submitted its oil requirements to Mobil and Mobil declined to meet them while Pennzoil said no problemo.

The least plausible is Dodge went to Mobil and said it wanted to get even richer from oil sales and would Mobil be wiling to supply an oil that Dodge could use as a factory fill and as a recommended oil for later servicing then receive some kind of kick back to bolster its bottom line at the expense of Mobil corporate profits? And Mobil not surprisingly said "no". So Dodge went down the list of motor oil suppliers and got no after no after no until it got to Pennzoil and Pennzoil said "yes".

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Every car forum it is the same. The only reason Brand X oil is recommended is because company A is a money grubbing slime ball POS organization that is willing to supply its customers with an inferior oil just to pad its bottom line.

Since we are in a Dodge forum I will point out that while the list price of the recommended Pennzoil is "high" (but on par with what I paid for the factory fill oil for my Porsche cars, at least at first) in every case the dealer service department has discounted the oil from its $10+ list price to $6. And discounted the filter, too. And in one case the dealer gave me an oil/filter service at no cost. Then the most recent oil/filter service I paid for one service plus a small premium to get the 2nd service at a nearly zero $ cost. I get two oil/filter services for the price of one.

If Dodge is counting on oil sales to pad its bottom line it is going to be very disappointed I think.

You talk about it being about money. It is about money, that's no secret. (Years ago an engineering mentor of mine was then head of engineering of an auto parts company in the LA area. The company was invited to bid on a part (carburetor) for a US car maker. The bid was submitted and was not awarded because his company's bid the per unit price was not quite a penny over the winning bid. The volume of units to be produced was over the life of the contract to be in the millions.)

Ok it is about money. Look at it from this point. Far better for Dodge to recommend a good oil and maybe even lower its cost by enabling the dealers to discount it so owners use the oil to ensure a long and trouble free service life from the Dodge engine rather to push a lower quality oil with a higher potential "profit" margin and to then have the sides of the roads littered with Dodge cars with dead engines due to inadequate oil recommended by Dodge.

In this scenario for the few pennies of profit this might have provided Dodge it pales when compared to the cost of warranty claims and the bad rep Dodge engines would soon have with the resulting drop in car sales.

There are other factors, too. Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is widely used. We are talking about millions of new cars and mega millions of used cars. Exxon Mobil might be at a point where it can't take on another factory fill position with in this case Dodge due to it being up against a limit to how much oil it can supply. And adding refinery capacity is expensive and in many areas impossible due to "environmental" concerns. Another way to mitigate limited supply is price. Charge more. Some automakers and owners on the price sensitive side will stop using Mobil and switch to something else. In the meantime Mobil makes more from Dodge because Dodge was wiling to pay more.

So, Dodge might have turned to Pennzoil which has the capacity and at a price that was in line with what other car makers were/are paying.

Or Dodge submitted its oil requirements to Mobil and Mobil declined to meet them while Pennzoil said no problemo.

The least plausible is Dodge went to Mobil and said it wanted to get even richer from oil sales and would Mobil be wiling to supply an oil that Dodge could use as a factory fill and as a recommended oil for later servicing then receive some kind of kick back to bolster its bottom line at the expense of Mobil corporate profits? And Mobil not surprisingly said "no". So Dodge went down the list of motor oil suppliers and got no after no after no until it got to Pennzoil and Pennzoil said "yes".
Mobil 1 was the recommended oil from Dodge already, some SRT’s have Mobil1 oil fill caps from the factory.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Mobil 1 was the recommended oil from Dodge already, some SRT’s have Mobil1 oil fill caps from the factory.
Things change. Mobil might have revised its oil or the new engines required an oil with features/performance that Mobil oil was not up to. Also, there is the issue with stocking multiple oils. Makes life simpler -- read less expensive -- if a car company stocks as few oils as it can.

Edit: Also, of course manuals or online references are easy to update. Oil caps not so much.

I recall when I bought my 2002 Boxster the info in the owners manual regarding oil was woefully out of date. Porsche declined to keep the manuals up to date. Instead for any questions about oil it referred the owner to a dealer.

In my case the dealer, the service department, provided me with a printout of all approved oils for my car and other sport car models from 1988 to present, available anywhere in the world. From the US to the United Arab Emirates. From the United Kingdom to Uruguay.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Chrysler was going through bankruptcy when it was "partnered" with Mobil.

I'm guessing that Chrysler stuck it to Mobil like other vendors that it owed money to because of the bankruptcy.

Mobile probably got pennies on the dollar that was owed to them, and shortly afterwards, they parted ways.

Remember too that FCA owns several high end European cars, and they were already buddies with some Pennzoil products.

So, FCA got a new partner, added a new spec, and Mobile chose not to spend money to meet the spec.

End of relationship with FCA and Mobile

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts

I'm guessing that Chrysler stuck it to Mobil like other vendors that it owed money to because of the bankruptcy.

Mobile probably got pennies on the dollar that was owed to them, and shortly afterwards, they parted ways.

Remember too that FCA owns several high end European cars, and they were already buddies with some Pennzoil products.

So, FCA got a new partner, added a new spec, and Mobile chose not to spend money to meet the spec.

Now that makes more sense than anything else so it does go back to money and not an engineering necessity.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,959 Posts
I suspect it's a mixture of things. John's idea about bankruptcy, but also there is a long standing relationship between Ferrari (owned by Fiat) and Shell (owner of Pennzoil)

A Guy

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

Maybe.

However, even so businesses have short memories. GM filed for bankruptcy back in 2009 with around $82B is assets and $172B in dept -- so more than just an oil supplier got "stiffed" -- and as it came out of restructuring suppliers/auto parts makers/etc flocked back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I am changing my own oil where do I dispose of the used oil ?

I noticed the 6 month / 6000 mile warranty clause a while back in the manual.
A Challenger enthusiast on YouTube also made a point to remind people of it .

Currently I hardly ever drive the beast due to my job situation . In a 2 month period i
may put a little over 100 miles on it when im back home . ( Work in Tx - live in Ga )

No problem changing the oil myself , just curious about the disposal of it .

Thanks

:unsure:

Test Pic

·
Registered
4 Posts

Currently I hardly ever drive the beast due to my job situation . In a 2 month period i
may put a little over 100 miles on it when im back home . ( Work in Tx - live in Ga )

Thanks

Test Pic

View attachment 991863
Most auto parts stores take used motor oil. I personally have taken mine to Advance Auto many times in the past.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yellow Jacket 2012,

The bottom line is ALWAYS the bottom line. So?

A $100 oil change to maintain a 5/60 powertrain warranty and keep my vehicle eligible for an extended warranty seems like a good deal to me.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Most auto parts stores take used motor oil. I personally have taken mine to Advance Auto many times in the past.
My experience is similar. Used to buy oil at Kragens (now I think it is called O'Reilly) near work. I'd change the oil at the office (on a weekend) and then take the old oil by the store and the clerk would let me dump it in the large storage tank in the back.

(I used a drain pan that was also a large flattened out container into which the oil drained into. The drain hole into this container would be plugged with a threaded plug. Then I'd use the handle to carry this container and eventually dump the oil. No need to catch the oil in an old style open drain pan then pour it into a larger storage container like a 5 gallon gasoline (plastic) gasoline can with the mess this could make.)

With my Hellcat since I buy or would buy the oil at the dealer parts department I would take the oil there to dispose of it. Now that I can do this is facilitated by at least in CA a business that sells new oil is required to accept used oil in return.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Thanks

Test Pic

View attachment 991863
jerryo,

My understanding is that any retailer that sells oil is required to accept old oil.

I have never had any problem dropping off used oil at local auto parts stores. Never been asked about where I purchased the oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glad I read this thread today. I looked at the windshield sticker on my ‘18 SP and the oil change is due tomorrow. Just made an appointment for 12:30 PM today.

3rd oil change since I bought the car in March of 2019. 6,000 miles on the car. Less than 2,000 miles on the current oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
jerryo,

My understanding is that any retailer that sells oil is required to accept old oil.

I have never had any problem dropping off used oil at local auto parts stores. Never been asked about whete I purchased the oil.
Im scanning for Auto Shops in the town where i live , they are stating that they offer oil ( and used filter )
collection and recycling.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts